Review The Grand Final Disaster of 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

In any discussion involving Adelaide and umpiring it's absolutely certain that some flog will appear to mention the Leigh Colbert mark. Every. Single. Time. This is usually followed up with footage from that 1993 game against Fitzroy. Digging up 20 year old footage to try to prove a point is hilariously desperate.

Of course not. But I’m also admitting we did get dodgey frees where as your mate believes every one of our frees was dodgey and all Crows frees weren’t. Anyway I’ll now leave as to not cause any trouble.
Only have to look at the opening bounce, took them all of 2 seconds to pick something out of nowhere

We need to move on from this umpire bashing, we were in front half way through the second, if lynch doesn't butcher his set shot and knight gets a more favorable bounce, the game at half time would of been a lot closer. s**t happens, Richmond were brilliant from the second half onwards and didn't give us a sniff to get back into it. Blaming umpires on 48 point loss is embarrassing and makes us look bad.

Last edited:

We really were stitched up.

Like others have said, first time I've endured footage of the game since the game itself. Absolutely atrocious umpiring, and that Betts hold was particularly egregious.

Yes Richmond played well on the day, and the umpires wouldn't have made up the margin for us just in calls. However, I think it is clear that with some fairer umpiring in the first half up till the midway point of the third quarter when the game was on the line we would have almost definitely been up at half time and possibly still in it when the 4th quarter rolled around.

You cannot underestimate the psychological impact of this on players. I'm sure these blokes are more professional than me about this, but just look at their faces when some of these calls were being made (Betts, Jacobs stand out). The first dodgy call was made seconds into the game. How would you feel playing the biggest game of your life?

When a Tiger pulled the guernsey of an Adelaide player, they were rarely (if ever?) penalised. Yes we did some dumb things, but in this example one team was extended the luxury of tolerance and one was not.

Maybe a pulled yellow clash jumper is easier to see? I dunno grasping at straws

The crows won the grand final! Go Leeton Whitton. Just watched it in NITV.
78ccca7c0e01ec6309d775bb3d14a288.jpg

We need to move on from this umpire bashing, we were in front half way through the second, if lynch doesn't butcher his set shot and knight gets a more favorable bounce, the game at half time would of been a lot closer. s**t happens, Richmond were brilliant from the second half onwards and didn't give us a sniff to get back into it. Blaming umpires on 48 point loss is embarrassing and makes us look bad.

Two words: momentum killers.

Umpires should not be allowed to influence the outcome of games, directly or indirectly.

Umpires should not be allowed to influence the outcome of games, directly or indirectly.

I'd be a lot more comfortable bashing the umps if our players had held up their end of the bargain. Richmond's defensive pressure was enormous, and our ability to deal with it was woeful. When they had the ball our defensive pressure was p*ssweak, so their ability to handle it was never even put to the test.

If our guys had come to play and got shafted by the umps then I'd be jumping on them as hard as anybody. As it is, the umps maybe turned a 3-4 goal loss into an 8 goal loss. Either way, there's no way we were ever going to win the flag with the performance we put up on the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is though, Lynch shouldn't have been any risk of butchering that set shot because it should've been from the top of the goal square. A hit as late as what he received is an automatic 50m penalty in every other round of the year. No one is blaming a 48 point loss on the umpires, but they definitely influenced the momentum that led to it. We get that 50, and a free kick when Eddie's having his arm pulled out of his socket, we're up again and maybe Richmond don't get to settle like they did. Football is full of momentum/sliding doors.

It's like saying a dropped catch that cost 50 runs didn't affect the result because the chasing team collapsed anyway. Maybe if the team batting second is chasing 50 fewer runs the chase goes differently...

There was a pattern to the way all three Richmond finals played out. We can't take that away from them under any circumstance. They disposed of us like they did gws and Geelong.

Where we went wrong was effort. It wasn't there. The coach was clear that was the mitigating factor.

Something really wrong when you can't get up as a team for a granny

Flicking around after the Adelaide United game, landed on 504.

Nope, still can not watch it.

This
and this
Football is full of momentum/sliding doors.
It's like saying a dropped catch that cost 50 runs didn't affect the result because the chasing team collapsed anyway. Maybe if the team batting second is chasing 50 fewer runs the chase goes differently...
and this
You cannot underestimate the psychological impact of this on players. I'm sure these blokes are more professional than me about this, but just look at their faces when some of these calls were being made (Betts, Jacobs stand out).
sum up how I feel about it.
Momentum is an emotional wave which can lift a team to greater heights. Skeptics will say "Meh, coulda-shoulda-woulda" but it was clear in the Betts incident that he was affected negatively by such a blatant free kick not being awarded. Even for pro athletes it would have to be dispiriting.
Added to that was a general malaise caused by the Gov and Smith injuries and the disunity around the Leaver and CC situations. By contrast, Richmond had no such injuries to key players and their group would have been unified strongly by the Martin re-signing and inspired by his Brownlow win too.

Having said that, I hope the Crows move away from their "we-deserve-this" mentality. Supporters too.
The Bailey and Walsh deaths were awful, tragic, as well as Jacobs' brother. Dangerfield's leaving created ill-feeling that has hopefully been exorcised by our two latest wins against Geelong. Betts//Sloane's appendectomies, the Gov/Smith injuries and the Leaver/CC decisions were also unsettling but none of the things aforementioned meant that the Crows deserved to win the 2017 Flag.
That was something that had to be done on the day. The Crows had to make it happen and they didn't.
They might have deserved to be playing in the GF, as did Richmond, because they were the PF finals winners but that's all the deserving that was involved. We cannot go into 2018 with any sense of entitlement, or deserving, based on events over the last 3 seasons or even before that.

T
That was something that had to be done on the day. The Crows had to make it happen and they didn't.

Instead of investing in a mini gold coast holiday, the club should of invested in geo engineering to prevent Richmond getting the best weather conditions they could hope for. :rolleyes:

Conditions absolutely suited Richmond ability to restrict our flow and keep us out wide. They played to their coaches instructions, they put in the required effort. We didn't.

Richmond = They were never going to stop trying and I knew all week that would be the situation, just look at the way they destroyed Geelong and the GWS Giants. I expected it to be a close game but Adelaide crumbled badly under their (Richmond's) pressure and lost their focus. I wonder if Jake Lever's rant at quarter time seemed to fire up Richmond. A couple of missed calls didn't help but would have they changed the outcome of the game if called correctly, not sure? .... It was that type of season of no matter how good you were a win was not guaranteed, you have to be on your game always and this is what we need to do in 2018, have belief and be consistent every week.

I guess that's because the largest capacity, and best, sporting arena is in Melbourne and not Adelaide. That plus the AFL is and expanded VFL. Fortunate for Melbourne based clubs. The Adelaide club obviously prioritised playing in the best comp in Aus rather than playing home GFs; otherwise the club would have joined the SA league (or not bothered forming).
None of what you say is untrue of course.

However, you would well know just how disingenuous you are being by neglecting to consider the fact it was the national competition which firstly saved, and then enhanced the fortunes of ailing Melbourne clubs.

Every interstate club in the AFL has contributed to the success it now is and which has delivered riches that previous basket case clubs like yours now enjoy.

Despite this contribution, over the last decade the Melb clubs and their protectors in the AFL have ensured this competition is for, about and by Melb clubs. That cannot be argued.

In fact, so protective are the AFL, that when interstate clubs did win a few flags the AFL launched an inquiry. Compare their actions to any other professional sporting body in the world. Just indefensible.

But, unless and until the interstate clubs can come together in common interest to form a bloc which actively calls out this protection racket, it will continue - rest assured, St Kilda and Melbourne will be the next fairytales.

I still cant believe we lost this game. Was a horrible day i want to forget. We lost to richmond. *in richmond. We ****ed up bad. 2018 will be tough. Everybody thought sydney were shoe ins for the flag in 17 and looked what happened with them this year.

I still cant believe we lost this game. Was a horrible day i want to forget. We lost to richmond. ****in richmond. We ****** up bad. 2018 will be tough. Everybody thought sydney were shoe ins for the flag in 17 and looked what happened with them this year.
The significance of the loss will only be amplified if we don't make the GF again (and win!) within our current window.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back