Review The Grand Final Disaster of 2017.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interstate beat VIC in 1992, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2012
VIC team has won, 1991, 1996, 2007, 2013 onwards.
8-8, now who takes the lead?
Not sure but whoever wins the next one obviously has a huge advantage and proves that the rules need to change to favour <insert loser - Victorian/interstate> clubs

Now you are being silly and actually proving my point. The Super Bowl and Champions League are played on neautral grounds, not someones home ground.

As for tournaments, they aren’t domestic competitions. Not an relevant example either.

You haven’t given me one yet and they are all businesses.
It would be like the Storm finishing top but having to play the final at Stadium Australia

Is there a domestic completion around the world which has its ultimate final hosted like the AFL?

FA Cup the closest thing. But I doubt non-London clubs will be complaining if they have to face Tottenham (current tenants) in the FA Cup Final this year.

A final should be played at the biggest stadium in the country, the game is nothing without the fans, so as many possible fans should be able to experience a final in real life. Any other stadium in Australia omits at least 40,000 people from having this experience.

The idea that the grand final should be at a smaller ground is a dumb one. The top team earns the advantage of two home finals to get there (a more difficult task than actually winning the GF), as well as a favourable break (8 day break vs 7). It's never not been at the MCG (apart from 1991) and it never will be anywhere else. We all know this prior to making the GF.

FA Cup the closest thing. But I doubt non-London clubs will be complaining if they have to face Tottenham (current tenants) in the FA Cup Final this year.

A final should be played at the biggest stadium in the country, the game is nothing without the fans, so as many possible fans should be able to experience a final in real life. Any other stadium in Australia omits at least 40,000 people from having this experience.

The idea that the grand final should be at a smaller ground is a dumb one. The top team earns the advantage of two home finals to get there (a more difficult task than actually winning the GF), as well as a favourable break (8 day break vs 7). It's never not been at the MCG (apart from 1991) and it never will be anywhere else. We all know this prior to making the GF.
It’s not about the fans it’s about money.

How many of the G were club members? Roughly 30k wasn’t it?

The rest are full of corporates and entitled MCC and AFL members.

Ask the Crows if they would prefer one extra days break or the game at AO.

I understand it won’t change, doesn’t make it right and it is another piece in an equitable dodgy competition, problem it’s a huge piece with a lot at stake.

And the thing is, if we at least had some acceptance from the Richmond flogs of the leg up they received, this would have died days ago. But to claim they didn’t receive an unfair advantage is bogus.

Yes, that is definitely a massive flaw in the GF plan. I still think it should be at the MCG, the home of football. However there should be at least 60,000 tickets available for the club members/supporters. But that's another separate argument.

Having said that, apart from the game itself, the Grand Final was an amazing experience to have been at. I found the atmosphere electric.

Yes, that is definitely a massive flaw in the GF plan. I still think it should be at the MCG, the home of football. However there should be at least 60,000 tickets available for the club members/supporters. But that's another separate argument.

Having said that, apart from the game itself, the Grand Final was an amazing experience to have been at. I found the atmosphere electric.
It sucked :(

Where do we train? And you did, at your home ground, twice when you didn’t deserve to be playing there.
Everyones known for a 100 years we play the GF at the MCG.Its a piss poor excuse for losing .You lost the game when Tex tried to kick a banana from 50 under pressure.Jacobs then has a go at him, and its game over.No one in Richmond's team would think of doing that .If it was played in Adelaide you'd probably lose by 28 points instead of 48 ,or does it have a 9 goal advantage?

Everyones known for a 100 years we play the GF at the MCG.Its a piss poor excuse for losing .You lost the game when Tex tried to kick a banana from 50 under pressure.Jacobs then has a go at him, and its game over.No one in Richmond's team would think of doing that .If it was played in Adelaide you'd probably lose by 28 points instead of 48 ,or does it have a 9 goal advantage?
I see you’ve moved on from “we don’t train at the G”

Neither, you’re a foaming lunatic on this subject

That doesn’t make any sense. They were putrid so how do you explain their umpiring? You’ve never even offered an explanation just lobbing insults like a knob and trying to be cryptic as usual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So did you watch the video?

I reckon there's a few repeated cycles of dialogues in this thread. I vote we lock this thread come early Jan 2018 and move on to the next season.
A lot of things to look forward to in 2018 and no point on dwelling on the past ad infinitum.
Let's agree:
- we deserve to play GF at home, but unless we build a much bigger stadium, then GF will be at the G. No ifs, ands or buts!
- umpiring was s**t
- most importantly, we played like s**t (after 1st quarter)
- Richmond played well on the day, kudos to them.

Hopefully the boys have learnt something and turn the hurt into extra motivation.

Whose home ground is Stadium Australia?
Don't know but I'm sure there's not just one rugby game for the year held there. And none of them Melbourne home games.

I'm confident that there's no sport exactly like AFL where there are half the clubs from one city. And none of those clubs get a single home match:
Arden Street
Vic Park
Moorabbin
Windy Hill
Princes Park
Western Oval
Casey or wherever Melbourne are
Punt Road
Glenferrie

Where ground rationalisation is a thing and these clubs all share two major venues.

Complaining that our major event match is played at the greatest sporting stadium in the southern hemisphere is an odd gripe. Unless you really believe that the grand final could be played at Metricon or whatever GWS' stadium is called or Geelong or theoretically Launceston or Manuka or Darwin should those clubs choose it then this is all wasted breath.

Don't know but I'm sure there's not just one rugby game for the year held there. And none of them Melbourne home games.

I'm confident that there's no sport exactly like AFL where there are half the clubs from one city. And none of those clubs get a single home match:
Arden Street
Vic Park
Moorabbin
Windy Hill
Princes Park
Western Oval
Casey or wherever Melbourne are
Punt Road
Glenferrie

Where ground rationalisation is a thing and these clubs all share two major venues.

Complaining that our major event match is played at the greatest sporting stadium in the southern hemisphere is an odd gripe. Unless you really believe that the grand final could be played at Metricon or whatever GWS' stadium is called or Geelong or theoretically Launceston or Manuka or Darwin should those clubs choose it then this is all wasted breath.
Given the size of rugby crowds I doubt they would play many there at all.

So we don’t play at West Lakes, we don’t get a home games either based on that theory.

If they really wanted the competition to have some semblance of integrity the MCG wouldn’t be anyone’s home ground.

They should make it that each club plays 4-5 games there each. The remaining Melbourne games are played at Etihad. But they won’t because money comes first and they are happy about it being a dodgy comp, it seems you are too.

Given the size of rugby crowds I doubt they would play many there at all.

So we don’t play at West Lakes, we don’t get a home games either based on that theory.

If they really wanted the competition to have some semblance of integrity the MCG wouldn’t be anyone’s home ground.

They should make it that each club plays 4-5 games there each. The remaining Melbourne games are played at Etihad. But they won’t because money comes first and they are happy about it being a dodgy comp, it seems you are too.
Do you actually think you are being rational here? The biggest and best ground in the competition should be empty more often. Gold Coast Suns should play 5 games at the MCG. They should play more games at Etihad Stadium than it can cope with. That's your actual solution?

I reckon there's a few repeated cycles of dialogues in this thread. I vote we lock this thread come early Jan 2018 and move on to the next season.
A lot of things to look forward to in 2018 and no point on dwelling on the past ad infinitum.
Let's agree:
- we deserve to play GF at home, but unless we build a much bigger stadium, then GF will be at the G. No ifs, ands or buts!
- umpiring was s**t
- most importantly, we played like s**t (after 1st quarter)
- Richmond played well on the day, kudos to them.

Hopefully the boys have learnt something and turn the hurt into extra motivation.
If you don’t want to read this thread, you can choose to skip past this thread.

Nobody is forcing you to be here!

Do you actually think you are being rational here? The biggest and best ground in the competition should be empty more often. Gold Coast Suns should play 5 games at the MCG. They should play more games at Etihad Stadium than it can cope with. That's your actual solution?
Yes I am and it is.

This is a national competition the VFL wanted but they want it on their terms. Why should an interstate team club be denied playing at the home of football where the majority of finals are played just because they are from interstate and their supporters can’t get there? That’s putting money ahead of the fairness of the competition.

As for the MCG being used less and more games at Etihad, I don’t think it would actually occur. I think you’d get more games at the G as more clubs share it.

Yes I am and it is.

This is a national competition the VFL wanted but they want it on their terms. Why should an interstate team club be denied playing at the home of football where the majority of finals are played just because they are from interstate and their supporters can’t get there? That’s putting money ahead of the fairness of the competition.

As for the MCG being used less and more games at Etihad, I don’t think it would actually occur. I think you’d get more games at the G as more clubs share it.
Bankrupting the league is not a viable solution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back