Up the Coasters The Grand Final Gif Thread

YEOLO

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Gosh I think you’re right! Great that Oscar was right behind the kick, only hope that a moment like this can live in his memory long enough to convince him to play his footy in the west!
Oscar to nominate the WCE and lead the club to further premiership success only to eventually return to Melbourne in a trade deal that secures us a player who will lead the club to its next premiership.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Part two of 3rd quarter:

Strong from Sheed here, release the handball at the last second. The two run from behind tackles from Ryan are timed perfectly, effects the outcome of both kicks.
NHdgDpg.gif

Good camera angle, distance never in question. Grand final up for grabs and he dobs it. Goal umpire does not move.
2gaJosn.gif

This play was mostly about Redden, he's relentless in his hunt for the ball here, just keeps going. Also note the strength of Yeo, he rag dolls his opponent in a great tackle that stops the handball being accurate. Redden and Lecras tie the ball up.
fGvkHru.gif

Vardy has an impressive chase at the start, Barrass a bit lucky but gets the ball to Willie. Yeo's tackle is the highlight here though, Willie doesn't quite hit these two kicks very well, does better in tight. Yeo's ability to stay involved defensively is a good trait, wasn't his best game offensively but he was still so important!
IfRzEXy.gif

This got me fired up. Yeo's reaction. The passion.
DBOKgcR.gif

I remember seeing this live during the game, I thought he'd missed a golden opportunity to go inboard with the player on the edge of the square in the clear. Darling kicks this so laconically but hits JK without breaking stride. Good 40m pass.
5GeYi6E.gif

If you get the chance to watch this on the replay, listen to the sound of Shuey's boot. He makes such sweet contact, this is how you get territory, a quick kick that travels 55m, heaps of air time for players to make a contest. Great kick.
P5i7n1D.gif

This is where Willie was at his best (besides defence). He crumbs this ball, follows up his work, Masten has a decent fight for it. Rioli grabs it again but doesn't give the first handball for no reason, attacks the corridor. His disposal is so much better when he's playing the quick contested game, brilliant play.
HyAspQs.gif

Great double fisted spoil from Gov, directed to a hot area. Sheed should look at these situation and improve over the pre-season. We all know he can run faster than that, see Redden attack at full pace while Sheed never looks interested. Redden creates a fumble and JK gets a decent look in.
Hm2XFCl.gif

This is great by Duggan, the spoil then the second effort after hitting the ground, so quick to react. Sheed again probably could have assisted taking Sidebottom down since he nearly got spun into him. Barrass was good on the line as well. Rioli put in a good effort.
veL4WHo.gif

This is Sheed at his best, on the move, not flat footed. Grabs this down low with his lanky arms and makes good contact, this is a free kick to Darling every day of the week. Awesome roving. Darling #robbed
DMnGKC9.gif

Second favourite McGovern mark for the day. Starts with Darling putting on massive pressure, credit to Sheed he lays a tackle here, Darling goes again and Lecras helps force the kick high. Gov never looked like dropping it!
yK1V3QG.gif

Enter the champion. Schofield out of position, turns around to keep eyes on the ball, after it hits the deck watch his deft tap to the boundary, such a good play. All by himself, can't hit it over too hard or gets called deliberate, perfect defence.
CKrzVBH.gif

A great bit of contested play. The whole time we're pushing it our way, it's not clean or pretty but Lycett on Grundy, Duggan twice, JK and Shuey just keep running in waves. Very strong disposal by Venables as well. Gained 30m and locked it in.
nio9LAH.gif

This play doesn't work out, but everyone here tries their guts out. See Jetta's now strapped calf, good tackle attempt, good spoil by Schofield.
3i0YyQe.gif

This play leading to Ryan's dropped mark was good. Darling has a good around the cornr kick, it's not a flat top spinner that drops short, gives JK every chance and he bowls over his opponent in a strong mark, keeps his feet and hands to Duggan who nails the kick (probably not intended for Ryan though)
SxOAaB7.gif

Love how hard Schofield presses back off the mark here, no time wasting, runs back hard and delivers quick. Shuey great roving off hands, turns the one two into a high kick to a dangerous area instead of accepting the tackle.
1XWxSWe.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Masten actually had a pretty good game looking at all the GIFS.

Hard to keep track on GameDay in the heat of the moment.
He was good when he was there, just production let him and Lecras down. The more I watch I start to see the little things Cole and Venables did as well.

Not everyone can star, but they all did enough to make a difference.

Mr Shankly

All Australian
Aug 7, 2006
Japan
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
E. Freo, Arsenal, Dallas Mavs
Am going through trying to show some of the smaller moments. First time posting and making gifs so we'll see how it goes.

It goes exceptionally well. Great job!

SHUEY LIFTS BRODY GRUNDY AND SCOTT PENDLEBURY OFF THE DECK!
Incredible willpower and strength. Masten with the clean gather and bullet pass to Darling as well.
QuAcAop.gif

This here... it didn't really register what had happened during the game, probably due to all the beer I'd drunk. But when I watched the replay I must've watched this bit a dozen times; I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Freaking Grundy and Pendlebury had him wrapped up, yet Shuey - 183cm to Grundy's 202 and Pendlebury's 191 - wrenches the contested ball free and drags them both along as he gets away an effective disposal. Unbelievable.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
The replay of Ryan's bump is considerably better
giphy.gif
Maynard had a go at Ryan afterwards which is the way football goes so fair enough.... But In reality all the dagger eyes should have been going to his teammate. That was a terrible hand pass. You'd be pissed off if someone set you up like that in a local fifth grade competition.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Have got the gifs for the 4th sorted but haven't uploaded yet.

Busy weekend.

Sidebottom 100% should have been pinged for deliberate when Lecras tackles him across the line, no intentions of doing anything else. So blatant.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Oscar to nominate the WCE and lead the club to further premiership success only to eventually return to Melbourne in a trade deal that secures us a player who will lead the club to its next premiership.

With the club where it is at the moment, the Judds would feel confident letting your kid come back.

I've always liked how Judd has never really slagged the club after leaving, when honestly, he had every right to. Plenty of ex players have done so and for less, maybe he felt as captain, that he didn't do enough.

Regardless, he held up the cup. Legacy is what makes clubs strong.

Oscar, you know what to do.

I don’t think I’ll ever love the club more.
Just a sensational year and still on a high...all we need now is for Gaff to top it off by trolling North.
Well said

Has been an unbelievable year, one I’ll never ever forget

Gubbz

Team Captain
Aug 1, 2010
36th Chamber
AFL Club
West Coast
Not sure you could get a better executed shirt front.
Had a team member at work saying it should have been a free kick because Ryan had no intention to go for the ball!

I'm like, youre allowed to bump, and that is the purest hit you can get! He didnt hit his head or anything, it's a contact sport ffs.

Bizarre comment.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Quarter 4, part 1:

Last play of the game, Lecras and Sheed fly for the ball and cause a spillage, Redden comes flying through to win the ground ball, Masten and Lecras fight for the ground ball then the siren goes. Lecras takes JK to ground (arguably my favourite celebration moment)
uOPBo3l.gif

Obvious play is obvious. Shuey reads it best off the boot and takes a game changing mark. I still think he should have gone the barrell/gone for goals for real, it'd have given us time to set up from the last line rather then a quick rebound from the pocket if his kick were to go wrong. Also how epic would that have been if he nailed a torpedo goal to seal the game!
wcsbl7v.gif

This is the centre clearance after Sheed's goal, game far from over. This has teamwork written all over it. Vardy and Rioli pressure the Pies player after a horrible centre bounce, Sheed with the lunging intercept spoil to ground, Rioli again goes for the tackle as Lecras comes off the wing with a big bump. Sheed follows up and puts a block on Pendlebury, Cripps is smart enough to let Vardy gather and then he manages to hit JK with the short pass. Game over.
8jYZ1dH.gif

I'm all for Lecras pressuring Sidebottom here as you never know what's happening, but this is as deliberate as you get. He takes off for the line as soon as he gets the ball and has no intentions of handballing elsewhere. They wanted the uncontested kick and he should have been penalised, good pressure regardless.
uPMkJPb.gif

We all know and have seen this play, but this just highlights Cripps at his best. Could have easily accepted the weak shepherd from WHE (i think) and given up, but he realised the shepherd was off the mark and poorly executed, pushed straight past and pressured the kick, takes metres off the i50 and allows Gov to be Gov.
OBY1Obk.gif

Full body tackle, go to ground with the opponent, two arms, watching the hips. Rioli executes perfectly.
o55yfar.gif

Ryan closes fast to pressure the kick, this pressure makes or breaks our gameplan. Masten puts on a really good show in his one on ones in this game, nicely times body work. Honestly thought he'd nail this kick though, disappointing miss.
oSQECEn.gif

If Cole just jogs over here, Sidebottom plays on and boots it forward, maybe even sidestepping Cole. The sprint to man the mark is all about doing the little things and doing them well, good defence.
nsHRK3M.gif

Another great example of Sheed when he's at his best, hands free under pressure and hitting his targets chest. Front and centre perfection and strong enough to get the ball out to a better user/better positioned player. Good directed spoil from McGovern as well, he chose when to spoil and when to mark very well, as usual.
oX2WpZe.gif

Here is some more pressure from Yeo through the centre circle, forces the rushed kick, McGovern slaps it out of his area then follows up his work. Schofield comes to help, hands the ball off then applies the tackle. Dead ball. Defence for the win.
RzcptZu.gif

This gif is long so the quality dropped, but it involves Jetta's smother, Masten's pressure, Vardy's chase and tackle, Shuey's flick out to Duggan. Game defining moments here when the fight is on.
g5RYwm0.gif

Shuey's tackle is strong to start this passage, Schofield is everywhere in this play, hands on a lot of players, spinning to find the ball and a desperate lunge at the end to try touch the ball off the boot. He's spinning around like a mad men but he's had a hand in 3 parts of that play.
S5FnXQy.gif

Good diving strip from Lecras here, followed by JK busting his gut to try chase down the player. Shuey's play on this half forward line is impressive. He runs straight through someone and keeps his feet, then follows it up afterwards to lay a block for Barrass who pumps it inside forward 50.
4XR6vIg.gif

The mark is awesome, but Ryan's decision to go in and strip the ball from Langdon is one of those little things that wins the game. Langdon is trying to hold the play up, he has possession and rolls on top of the ball, trying to buy time for his mates to flood back. He expects Ryan to stand there yelling for the ball getting frustrated, but he just strips him of the ball and plays on, crucial play. Langdons face is priceless when he feels that ball get stripped, he didn't have the awareness there, gave Ryan an inch and he took a mile.
FQfrF1R.gif

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Last one, quarter 4 part 2:

Tom Cole, he had a look, knew what was coming and stood there and took the mark. Mihocek not in the contest proceeds to take him to ground. Cole gets the 50m penalty. Courage all over the field.
fW5fKvi.gif

Jack Redden continuing his tackling masterclass, coupled with Lycett trailing the receiver they force a kick to Hurn for the intercept. This is such a good tackle, Redden doesn't get fooled.
3tBCqsg.gif

Vardy had a good last quarter in the ruck, beats Grundy cold here. Lecras probably could have not taken possession, the Pies player was already diving before he took possession, but he wasnt to know. Hutchings also could have taken two more steps and balanced, he had the defender beaten. Good bit of play though from Vardy.
QBCbxZ3.gif

Barrass with the fist, Shuey tackles and then Schofield comes third man up to help his captain.
HHwgqXk.gif

This is just a beautiful clearance here. Redden directs it his way with one hand off the tap, picks it up cleanly when it's in front of him and gets it moving.
XPetwwF.gif

Yeo the only one to truly go for this in the air, came from way back. We locked them in the forward 50 for over half of the last quarter due to bits of play like this. Our set up was unbreakable save for some good Mason Cox grabs, it was their only outlet and that's too big an ask for Cox to do every time.
ZF1H93U.gif

Loved Cripps pressure here, Masten's body work is excellent in the marking contest, too easy for Duggan on the end thanks to his team mates.
HZr08lm.gif

Trademark of Cole's game is keeping his feet, everyone else scrambling for it and he sticks to his task, gets the ball out to Hurn. Another example of some smart forward craft here with Lecras basically running back towards goal via two Collingwood players going for the ball, buying Sheed just enough room.
udW6Qjx.gif

This is straight after Vardy's goal. It leads to Ryan hitting up JK for his third goal. Every bit of this play rocks. Yeo applies two tackles in this play, Venables rushes off the front of the square with Ryan to apply pressure. Lecras goes the tackle, but also as the ball spills he releases one hand and drags it back towards himself all in one motion.
SKghg2P.gif

I cut this gif up a bit because it was long. Barrass kicks a good attacking kick, hits Redden ina decently tight spot. Redden fires it forwards to Vardy who wheels and goes. Vardy's last quarter is super impressive.
k1G62yd.gif

Good ruckwork again from Vardy, not much else Redden can do here as both receivers are under pressure.
DCGQiYw.gif

Love Rioli's constant pressure but Lycett's follow up work is the one that finally screws De Goey, needed a big body to bowl him over. Gets done HTB and Rioli moves it forward.
Ujhther.gif

This mark by Shuey is similar to his final minute mark. The kick is a gem. I lost count of the amount of goal assists Shuey should have had. Off the top of my head: JK's opening set shot of the game, Darling's dropped mark, this kick to Ryan, a play where he bulldozes through two players and handballs to Hutchings who misses the snap right in front. There's probably more examples as well, he was delivering the ball to perfection, should have had about 4 goal assists.
MmrB8I3.gif

Adam Simpson: "Send Vardy forward" .... result below
QaecLzh.gif

MISSING PLAY***
Last quarter, Mark Hutchings goes back with the flight to take a contested mark, gets up and delivers a bullet kick 40m forward going over Cox's fingertips. Great bit of play but I can't remember when it was and seem to have deleted the gif. If anyone knows the time on the clock I can make it again.

Not a GIF per se, but the following image is a great retort to any floggish behaviour from opposition supporters. I've seen Biggie use it once and I have too on the MB. Love it.

569821_2329864b7608104003cf1363206c5897.png

Prefer this one:

2018+AFL+Grand+Final+West+Coast+v+Collingwood+v9zX0IFMyuNl.jpg

"Excuse me, I can't hear you over the sound of this premiership cup"

Trouto

Premiership Player
Jul 3, 2007
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
really appreciate Masten's efforts for the whole game watching this. Actually, the amout of 1% efforts were spectacular for much of our team!

Back