The grand final has completely validated 6-6-6

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
When was offside an unwritten rule in Aussie Rules?
I highly recommend the book Time And Space by James Coventry, in it the very early days of the game are described.
Games started with a kick off not dissimilar to what is seen in rugby, with teams starting in opposing halves. It was an unwritten rule that all players from the kicker's team remained behind the kicker.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I highly recommend the book Time And Space by James Coventry, in it the very early days of the game are described.
Games started with a kick off not dissimilar to what is seen in rugby, with teams starting in opposing halves. It was an unwritten rule that all players from the kicker's team remained behind the kicker.

Ah. I talk about something which lasted 120 years and you respond with something which stopped being a thing 120 years ago.

DavidSSS

Rookie
Feb 26, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
There is a difference when teams choose to play in position or not. Plus, HairyO clearly did not read my later post which pointed to 18 players standing around the centre bounce in the 1967 Grand Final.

If you want players stuck in certain portions of the playing area go and watch netball I think they do that. I want to watch Australian Rules Football which has always allowed free movement in any part of the ground, the only exception until the recent spate of largely useless rule changes was the centre square which was reasonable and only restricts movement in one part of the ground for a very limited period of time.

As for the impact of the rules, all they do is make the evolution of the game even messier. Scores are down, this year's premiership team has the lowest conceded score per game of any premiership team in the 2000s, the only premiership team to concede less than 70 points a game across a season.

Game more open? Game less defensive?

The scores tell us the complete opposite.

DS

Back