The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

And if the Eagles comfortably win surely the debate ends.

I differently think the Eagles and other interstate sides should play at least half a dozen games a year at the G and as this doesn't happen is the real problem that needs to be addressed.

Nope.

Just means the Eagles were much much much better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It is relevant because if/when the GC or GWS finish highest and host a GF, then your stadium capacity is limited to 20,000. That would be rediculous and you know it.
Have a read of the thread title. It says neutral venue.
And teams like the bulldogs? We are lucky to play 6 games at the G over 2 years.

Didnt impact us in 2016
You got to play an interstate team there

I really hate the argument that it has to be at the G because of capacity

Talking to a Collingwood fan last night and he conceeded it's not ideal for non Vic sides but then said "if Perth had a 100,000 seat stadium then they should host it this week"

The **** has the amount of seats got to do with it? ? What a ridiculously arbitrary argument
Money mate Money. AFL cash grab. More seats more money.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

We need to invoke the champions league format, where the game is played in a state (country) away from the teams location. The AFL really need to let go of this crowd excuse, as it's a competition that consistently boasts record crowds; so a game (being played in the fairness of the opposition) at a neutral venue should be their number 1 priority. Also, a sellout (no matter the venue) will always be a good look for the game. Anyway, as it stands the game is heavily favored towards Victorian teams
Yeah but 100 000 is a far cry from the next biggest stadium at 60 000. I reckon it needs to start being spread around but we need stadiums that will hold at least 80k in the other states.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

One example this way or the other way doesn't change the underlying unfairness of the premise.

I mean, imagine that the game was being played in Western Australia. What chance would you give Collingwood then?

The Eagles have three premierships, two were against Victorian sides, they have lost three GF's, one against Sydney, a match they were close to winning and against a rampart Hawthorn side that would have beaten pretty much any side that day and their first GF against Hawthorn which they made up for with wins in 1992 and 1994.

Yeah but 100 000 is a far cry from the next biggest stadium at 60 000. I reckon it needs to start being spread around but we need stadiums that will hold at least 80k in the other states.
When most of that is given away to people who don't hold a membership with either club, I think the difference between 100k and 60k could be a little moot.

Nope.

Just means the Eagles were much much much better.

Yes and that is what matters, the location of the ground doesn't.

The Eagles have not had to travel for several weeks, so having to travel back and forth which could be an issue has been somewhat lessened.

Yes and that is what matters, the location of the ground doesn't.

The Eagles have not had to travel for several weeks, so having to travel back and forth which could be an issue has been somewhat lessened.

Yes it does matter, interstate sides have to be much better than the other way around to overcome the Vic grand final.
When 1 group of clubs (and their fans) always have to fly in then theres an advantage.

Its not changing anytime soon but to say it's not a rort is ridiculous.

Have a read of the thread title. It says neutral venue.
So we play Collingwood v West Coast in Adelaide, Brisbane or Sydney. Make it virtually impossible for the members of participating clubs to actually attend the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And none of their three flags, that said, were against Melbourne teams.

Still, I don't think that specific examples really help here. There's an undeniable long-term trend that sides play better at home, and worse when playing interstate.

Geelong is only an hour down the freeway, it might as well be treated as an outer suburb.

I agree there would be an advantage for teams to be playing at home, particularly when they have to travel back and forth, the Eagles don't have that this time around because they have played both finals in Perth and had the week off.

particularly when they have to travel back and forth, the Eagles don't have that this time around because they have played both finals in Perth and had the week off.
True - but compare it to what would have happened if the Eagles were a Victorian team (i.e. like Richmond). Three games solid at their home ground - including the GF.

The 2016 Grand Final was played at the neutral MCG - neither the Footscray Football Club nor the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans Football Club play home games at the vanue.

The city of Sydney is only a 45 minute flight from Melbourne - it takes longer to get to Melbourne from the outer Eastern and outer Western suburbs.

I have never understood why AFL teams based outside of Melbourne don't spend the week in Melbourne for the Grand Final, as NFL teams do for the Superbowl.

The 2016 Grand Final was played at the neutral MCG - neither the Footscray Football Club nor the South Melbourne/Sydney Swans Football Club play home games at the vanue.

The city of Sydney is only a 45 minute flight from Melbourne - it takes longer to get to Melbourne from the outer Eastern and outer Western suburbs.

I have never understood why AFL teams based outside of Melbourne don't spend the week in Melbourne for the Grand Final, as NFL teams do for the Superbowl.
Not neutral. The MCG is located in the same city as the Dogs are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back