The graveyard thread for endless off topic posturing on persons causing bi-polar responses

He probably lost 5kg with a bad case of jungle squirts on Kokoda.

Lol funnily enough, they all flew to maroochydore for their training camp and it got rained out with the zombie cyclone. We were at Noosa at the same time and got plenty of rain but training was doable.

Originally Port had planned on going to Maroochydore, lucky in the end.

I said I hope Wingard sat there and got fatter for not having a camp. Then I got the news he was 7kg lighter farken.

Last edited:
What is? If Port don’t win the flag then honestly it really makes no difference to us who does. It may as well provide some off-season laughs.

I’d rather Adelaide win the flag than that choad.

It's probably bullshit but to be fair, Hardwick or someone from his set of premiership players definitely said they have very little in place in terms of structured offence as it removes from the fluidity and unpredictability of their game.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
It's probably bullshit but to be fair, Hardwick or someone from his set of premiership players definitely said they have very little in place in terms of structured offence as it removes from the fluidity and unpredictability of their game.

Horses for courses. You think Hawthorn or West Coast just winged it moving forward?

Sent from mTalk

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’d rather Adelaide win the flag than that choad.
Farking hell your Wingard hate is palpable.

Even if you think Wingard was lazy and unmotivated and the club had no other option, to wish the highest success for the crows who have tried to kill off the Port Adelaide Club at every opportunity, rather than the success of one kid just shows me what a truly stupid and hypersensitive nutter you are. Let it go.

This debate is not all about Wingard no matter how much you try to make it out to be. This discontent is about our club's management of players and their total lack of ability to get anyone to play consistently to their actual ability. People are pissed off because we continue to let genuinely talented players underperform and our gameplan is crap so much so that the talent leave for opportunities to just play decent football, Not the swollen congested defensive tripe that we continue to dish up EVEN when it is a proven failure.

If we had a halfway decent coach and possibly board. Letting a player of Wingard's ability walk is a blight on our club and not a blight on a young player. He has not written a Chaplainesque email. He has not sat out and demanded only to be traded to Collingwood. He has not done anything untoward except fallen out of love with our club which i suspect many supporters have also.

Until your muppet mate is removed from the coaches box I do not believe we will ever see a premiership. I am happy to be wrong but unfortunately I don't think i am.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It requires less thought because once you own the ball if you have a decent skill level (chortle) things can open up, my issue is ultra defensive mindsets & structures without the ball can bog down attacking instinct.. crikey I sound like #malcom just kick more goals than them eh!

It requires less thought because once you own the ball if you have a decent skill level (chortle) things can open up, my issue is ultra defensive mindsets & structures without the ball can bog down attacking instinct.. crikey I sound like #malcom just kick more goals than them eh!

Skill level magically improves when you've got players who are in space because they are in forward positions due to being forward already applying pressure to the ball carrier.

That's why getting Bassett out of the defensive lines and shifting him forward is a good thing for both lines. One, it encourages the forwards to go back to the defend from the front mindset that they had when Nicks was the forward line coach in 2016. We were 7th for goals scored that year with 13.6. This year we were 12th with 11.8.

Two, it encourages our defenders to go for intercept marks instead of the bullshit team defence spoiling that they were prone to do under his watch. Spoiling should be a last resort. The first port of call should be to create situations to intercept mark. Now, I'm not going to assume that Bassett told his defenders to spoil everything, because I think he's smart enough not to do that...but I do think that getting a new voice into the backlines will give the young defenders the encouragement they need to realise they shouldn't be relying on help defence every time.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Our forwards are still dumb, lead to poor spots, lead in to each others way, leave loose defenders unaccountable, make bad decisions when to kick for goal and when to pass off, what kicking technique to use... We need coaching.

Sent from mTalk

Our forwards are still dumb, lead to poor spots, lead in to each others way, leave loose defenders unaccountable, make bad decisions when to kick for goal and when to pass off, what kicking technique to use... We need coaching.

Sent from mTalk

When the forward line is congested with 15 players because the defence has in their infinite wisdom decided to spoil the ball out of bounds so we can bring our midfield down to help boost their goals conceded stats and the opposition work twice as hard as our players to get back into defence themselves, you could have the best forward line coach in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

Of course, the biggest culprit for leaving defenders unaccountable, making bad decisions of when to kick for goal and when to pass off and leading to poor spots is now at Hawthorn, so there's always that :)

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
When the forward line is congested with 15 players because the defence has in their infinite wisdom decided to spoil the ball out of bounds so we can bring our midfield down to help boost their goals conceded stats and the opposition work twice as hard as our players to get back into defence themselves, you could have the best forward line coach in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

Of course, the biggest culprit for leaving defenders unaccountable, making bad decisions of when to kick for goal and when to pass off and leading to poor spots is now at Hawthorn, so there's always that :)

Nothing wrong with defenders spoiling the ball out of bounds. The midfielders need to win their own ball.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Farking hell your Wingard hate is palpable.

Even if you think Wingard was lazy and unmotivated and the club had no other option, to wish the highest success for the crows who have tried to kill off the Port Adelaide Club at every opportunity, rather than the success of one kid just shows me what a truly stupid and hypersensitive nutter you are. Let it go.

This debate is not all about Wingard no matter how much you try to make it out to be. This discontent is about our club's management of players and their total lack of ability to get anyone to play consistently to their actual ability. People are pissed off because we continue to let genuinely talented players underperform and our gameplan is crap so much so that the talent leave for opportunities to just play decent football, Not the swollen congested defensive tripe that we continue to dish up EVEN when it is a proven failure.

If we had a halfway decent coach and possibly board. Letting a player of Wingard's ability walk is a blight on our club and not a blight on a young player. He has not written a Chaplainesque email. He has not sat out and demanded only to be traded to Collingwood. He has not done anything untoward except fallen out of love with our club which i suspect many supporters have also.

Until your muppet mate is removed from the coaches box I do not believe we will ever see a premiership. I am happy to be wrong but unfortunately I don't think i am.

Yeah, it's funny that those who appear to have a modicum of sympathy for Wingard given how appallingly the situation has been handled by our coaching group are being told to get over it when it's Janus who's gunning for the Glenn Close role in the Fatal Attraction remake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
And even then, you need to coach offence based on the opposition. For years everybody knew you could expose Hawthorn's defence with strong contested tall targets, but it probably wouldn't have worked the same for every team.

Don't need to coach offence. Madness.

Sent from mTalk

Nothing wrong with defenders spoiling the ball out of bounds. The midfielders need to win their own ball.

There is something wrong with it if they've got the opportunity to take an intercept mark instead.

Intercept marks = uncontested possession = higher disposal efficiency. If our defenders are complaining about what the midfield is doing, they should take a look in the mirror and ask what they are doing to help out. If the mids are expected to drop back and help in defence, the defenders should be expected to help farm easy ball to the midfield at times.

Haven't you ever looked at our games and then looked at every other game in the league and wondered why there's so much free space? It's because we don't take intercept marks that catch the opposition out of position. It doesn't have to be all the time, it just has to be enough that the opposition midfield doesn't press up knowing that our defenders are always going to spoil.

It's like a team in the NFL that just rushes on third down every play vs a team that switches up to a pass every so often. It's the guessing that creates doubt, and doubt creates space.

Yeah, it's funny that those who appear to have a modicum of sympathy for Wingard given how appallingly the situation has been handled by our coaching group are being told to get over it when it's Janus who's gunning for the Glenn Close role in the Fatal Attraction remake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was so appalling about it again?

Fitness and coaching staff try everything possible to reach problematic player who gets sunshine blown up his butt by a fan base that adores him because he wears a Port Magpies beanie, so it must mean he 'loves the club'. Player thinks 'I'm number one with the fans so why try harder? The club can't afford to lose me.' Club gets sick of player's bullshit, says he should talk to opposition clubs and that we'd be open to a trade in a last ditch effort to reach him in the hope that he will try to earn back the respect of his teammates. Player - who was always leaving to go to Hawthorn - decides to leave a year earlier than anticipated in a strong draft year.

Wingard agreeing to be traded now instead of next year was probably the best thing he's ever done for the future of this club, considering he was never changing his ways here no matter who was coaching.

You might think I'm upset about Wingard leaving. I'm not, because I've gone on record as saying we'll be better off without the Wingard who was at Port. We were never, ever seeing the Wingard who will be at Hawthorn. And no matter how much weight he loses, he'll still be the same flaky player that is just waiting to surface when things don't go his way.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Exactly.

Why would you need a gameplan for offence? Play what’s in front of you. You don’t need someone to hold your penis for you when you go to the urinal do you?

I want fluidity in offence. Formlessness. If they are pressing, move the ball quick to find an out. If they are sitting back, move slow and methodical and find a mismatch. One on one, kick to the advantage of the players with the best marking capability.

Once you have the three things mentioned, the rest becomes easy.

You absolutely cannot be formless in offence unless you're the U15s having a scratch match against the U12s.

You can't move the ball quickly if you don't know where your teammates will be. We were speaking the other day about how everything goes to s**t when players have to stop and think. Formlessness forces them to think because they can't predict where the options are going to be.

We were pretty formless in offence in 2018 and we just had zero answer for a well structured defence. We only cracked the premiership zone 100 point barrier 3 times. That's absolutely disastrous.

I completely agree that pressure and intercept possessions are a non-negotiable for any side who has any interest in winning, but you have to have a system for moving the ball that you can rely on.

You absolutely cannot be formless in offence unless you're the U15s having a scratch match against the U12s.

You can't move the ball quickly if you don't know where your teammates will be. We were speaking the other day about how everything goes to s**t when players have to stop and think. Formlessness forces them to think because they can't predict where the options are going to be.

We were pretty formless in offence in 2018 and we just had zero answer for a well structured defence. We only cracked the premiership zone 100 point barrier 3 times. That's absolutely disastrous.

I completely agree that pressure and intercept possessions are a non-negotiable for any side who has any interest in winning, but you have to have a system for moving the ball that you can rely on.

Formlessness doesn’t mean no form. It means the ability to adapt and change according to the situation. For the players to coach themselves on the ground. To be open to new stimuli.

I read somewhere that successful people don’t have a Plan B because that means that they are preparing for Plan A to fail...and if they think it’s going to fail, they are better off figuring out a better Plan A.

Back