The graveyard thread for endless off topic posturing on persons causing bi-polar responses

Remove this Banner Ad

If Butcher was still playing nobody would even remember who Lockett was any more. Full forward would no longer even be a recognised position, players in other teams who lined up as KPFs would be called "Butcher Forwards".

The Coleman Medal, now renamed the Butcher Medal, would be awarded to the player who finishes second in the goalkicking behind John Butcher.

Butcher was a massive overreach in that draft, as were Moore and Pittard.

He could have been a great player, don’t get me wrong but he was never Nick Reiwoldt, or Jordan Roughead or Charlie Dixon or Tom Lynch etc. Those players are all just more suited to AFL football, there is no shame in not being up to it. But we still should have gone for other players. Talia, Carlisle, Fyfe, Melksham, etc. and we still should have drafted Hurley over Hartlett, and Grundy over Wines. And maybe even Ben King over Rozee though I still feel good about that one.

We didn’t take a sure thing in John Butcher and ruin him. He was a speculative pick out of desperation for a tall forward, I mean I’m kind of okay that we took the chance, but we ****ed up by not pursuing other options and pinning all our hope on one dude from Maffra with a bad back.

People are right to ask why on earth we didn’t play him at every single opportunity given he was our only developing tall for so long. But even if we did he very well could have been pretty much the same player. This isn’t a video game, players don’t gain experience every match and that isn’t the only way for them to improve. I’m sure playing AFL helps a lot, but we have seen dozens and dozens of players come through and never develop despite heaps of games at AFL level.

He could have been a great player, don’t get me wrong but he was never Nick Reiwoldt, or Jordan Roughead or Charlie Dixon or Tom Lynch etc. Those players are all just more suited to AFL football, there is no shame in not being up to it. But we still should have gone for other players. Talia, Carlisle, Fyfe, Melksham, etc. and we still should have drafted Hurley over Hartlett, and Grundy over Wines. And maybe even Ben King over Rozee though I still feel good about that one.

We didn’t take a sure thing in John Butcher and ruin him. He was a speculative pick out of desperation for a tall forward, I mean I’m kind of okay that we took the chance, but we f’ed up by not pursuing other options and pinning all our hope on one dude from Maffra with a bad back.

People are right to ask why on earth we didn’t play him at every single opportunity given he was our only developing tall for so long. But even if we did he very well could have been pretty much the same player. This isn’t a video game, players don’t gain experience every match and that isn’t the only way for them to improve. I’m sure playing AFL helps a lot, but we have seen dozens and dozens of players come through and never develop despite heaps of games at AFL level.
Lol nah mate. Was a top 3 prospect until mid year when he went to top 10.

Find me 1 phantom that didn't have him going in the top 10.

We didn’t take a sure thing in John Butcher and ruin him. He was a speculative pick out of desperation for a tall forward, I mean I’m kind of okay that we took the chance, but we f’ed up by not pursuing other options and pinning all our hope on one dude from Maffra with a bad back.

This is not true. He had been touted as a top 5-10 pick all year.

Moore was a massive reach and probably still would’ve been there at 16. We f@&ked up there by not picking one of the other talls available at 9 but Butcher was absolutely the right call especially for us.

Yeah this is incorrect.

He came into the year as a potential #1 pick after a massive bottom age championships. It was only pretty late in the year after an underwhelming top age champs that he went from top 3 lock to potentially falling in our lap.

Moore was a reach, as was Pittard.

I can't believe that Butcher is still being talked about here. His kicking was terrible. I cant think of a worst kicker than him that's ever played the game... I can remember commentators laughing at him when he would line up for a goal... Its was embarrassing.
If he was so good, why didnt any other AFL clubs chase afetr him after we let him go???
Do you think it's a coincidence that when a player miss kicks a ball now its said that he "Butchered" that kick... ;)
I think not.

lol, this board would have burnt down Alberton if we passed on Butcher.

Was 100% the correct pick at the time.

I wanted Butcher and Talia with 8 & 9.

I mean why would you take the best key position prospects in the draft when you can take the obvious one, and then a pair of dime-a-dozen bolters with 9 & 16?

As others have pointed out, this is incredibly wrong in regard to Butch’s draft stock.

Especially in light of the ‘should’ve gone for Fyfe’, who resembled Josh Bootsma with a shoddy set shot.

I wanted Butcher and Talia with 8 & 9.

I mean why would you take the best key position prospects in the draft when you can take the obvious one, and then a pair of dime-a-dozen bolters with 9 & 16?
as it was a noted talls draft, I wanted Butcher, Talia and Jake Carlisle, on the basis that sometimes talls dont work out so get a bunch

we seem to spend out time finessing over one or two and then delisting them virtually untried

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as it was a noted talls draft, I wanted Butcher, Talia and Jake Carlisle, on the basis that sometimes talls dont work out so get a bunch

we seem to spend out time finessing over one or two and then delisting them virtually untried

I remember it well. Where would we be if Jay Schulz didn’t pan out, having come aboard that very offseason for peanuts by default?

Lol that trade was Highway robbery. I almost feel sorry for hawthorn.

bawhahahwahahahaha pity Hawthorn
After stealing our fitness guy, recruiter and ultimately luring their best coach. They’ve had their day with us.

Chads numbers are good but just on appearance I'd be against it. I'm sure he didn't look that soft whilst he was here. He looks like an office clerk who goes out and has a kick on the weekend.
100%. That was a totally disinterested game. Then combined with the dummy spit at his team mate and the tantrum when his team mate didn't respond the way he wanted him to it would be a hard no from me.

That stuff is terrible for culture.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%. That was a totally disinterested game. Then combined with the dummy spit at his team mate and the tantrum when his team mate didn't respond the way he wanted him to it would be a hard no from me.

That stuff is terrible for culture.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did you watch that game? Chad was probably Hawthorn's best player and the only reason they looked like kicking a winning score. And if Chad was disinterested then why did he crack the shits? Wasn't a great look but it looked like a player who actually wanted to win a game. And literally 5 minutes after that dummy spit he placed two of the best kicks to a team mate I50 you'll see all year.

Deadset culture killer though.

Did you watch that game? Chad was probably Hawthorn's best player and the only reason they looked like kicking a winning score. And if Chad was disinterested then why did he crack the shits? Wasn't a great look but it looked like a player who actually wanted to win a game. And literally 5 minutes after that dummy spit he placed two of the best kicks to a team mate I50 you'll see all year.

Deadset culture killer though.

His own skills should have nothing to do with it.
Find me another video of a respectable player behaving that way towards a team-mate. Coaches do it, but usually those coaches end up being given the arse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back