The Graveyard

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he attend many centre bounces now? I cant say I have noticed

yes. And Murphy has shown some real ability there too

heā€™s had patches in the middle where he has looked first class.

of all three, Murphy I can see being a real late bloomer into a sneaky really good player. By that I mean in 3 years time, I wouldnā€™t be shocked if he was a top 10 player on our list (full time mid). Not saying he will, but itā€™s not a crazy possibility either

Yeah, it's a tough gig. At the moment, where I reckon all three will end up:

McHenry is a pretty safe call to persist with and will likely have a long career. Like most 10 gamers he's not the finished product but has shown there is enough to his game that indicates he can be dumped in a half forward role for a decade and be a cheap and useful piece there.

Murphy I have no idea. I expect him to get overtaken but could easily end up a long term player depending on Nicks.

Rowe is looking more and more like a to good for SANFL, not good enough for an AFL player to me. I'm willing to give Jimmy a fair bit more time though, we're in no rush here.

McAdam needs to be dropped. Having a 2020 Matt Crouch first half of the year.

I feel a bit for our small forwards.

It is a difficult role. No easy ball to be won, opportunities are fleeting, no attacking system is designed around you.

When our forwards are clunking them there's no football for you.

Need to stay out of the talls' way so you don't drag your opponent into their space or the contest... but somehow also be there to pick up the crumbs.

Consistent small forward is an oxymoron. By its nature it's a hot and cold position.

So how are our trio faring? Rowe, McHenry and Murphy.

All have had their moments but if you look at their overall output (on the surface) it's probably not quite enough.

However... are they showing enough progress and enough glimpses for us to persist?

Would shunting someone else into their difficult role just pass the difficulty and inevitable inconsistency onto someone else?

Are the three of them long termers?

Gut feel is that a major issue is that our small forwards are coached to defend first. We play overly tall and they're meant to make up for the weakness of our structure. If you're not totally focussed on trying to get to the ball then it's hard to be there to crumb or apply pressure if opponents get it. We've got to shelve this focus on defensive forwards, it's stupidity.

Yeah, it's a tough gig. At the moment, where I reckon all three will end up:

McHenry is a pretty safe call to persist with and will likely have a long career. Like most 10 gamers he's not the finished product but has shown there is enough to his game that indicates he can be dumped in a half forward role for a decade and be a cheap and useful piece there.

Murphy I have no idea. I expect him to get overtaken but could easily end up a long term player depending on Nicks.

Rowe is looking more and more like a to good for SANFL, not good enough for an AFL player to me. I'm willing to give Jimmy a fair bit more time though, we're in no rush here.

McAdam needs to be dropped. Having a 2020 Matt Crouch first half of the year.
All that's saving McAdam currently is the goal column on the stat sheet, apart from the 13 goals he's kicked he's not offering a whole lot, gone are his manic chase downs and the general pressure previously displayed around the contest. Not sure what's going on there unless he's carrying an injury

All that's saving McAdam currently is the goal column on the stat sheet, apart from the 13 goals he's kicked he's not offering a whole lot, gone are his manic chase downs and the general pressure previously displayed around the contest. Not sure what's going on there unless he's carrying an injury
He must be carrying something because from what I thought, he loved the pressure and chase side of his game.

They don't call it the graveyard for nothing, it's a really hard position to play in the Crows team.
But I don't reckon these guys are getting enough crumbs off of marking contests, they never seem to be in the front and centre and you see the ball rebound quickly.
On the weekend, Murphy. 4 kicks 6 handballs ( 1 effective kick) no goals no tackles, 3 ground ball gets
McHenry, 2 kicks 6 handballs ( 2 effective kicks ) 1 goal, 2 tackles, 4 ground ball gets
Rowe, 6 kicks 2 handballs (1 effective kick) no goals, 2 tackles, 3 ground ball gets
Stats from AFL pro
It doesn't look like they are contributing enough at this stage
Probably hard to crumb the ball when the talls were actually taking the grabs! ;)

He must be carrying something because from what I thought, he loved the pressure and chase side of his game.
He severely bruised the clavicle ligament in a clash a couple of weeks ago. I'd suggest this has made him a bit reticent to go in all guns blazing.

Very hard role the small forward. That's why the good one's are valuable. We need to trade one or pick one up at the draft. Would be going hard for Rankine when OOC. A good small forward can be the difference in big finals. Newchurch has potential but I don't really rate the rest on our list tbh. Was a mistake getting rid of Stengle but that's history now. Maybe us getting rid of him gave him the kick in the pants he needed.

Last edited:
I really want to like Rowe, and I love what he brings to the table, but everything about the role heā€™s playing in the team screams graveyard.

Prove me wrong!!

I really want to like Rowe, and I love what he brings to the table, but everything about the role heā€™s playing in the team screams graveyard.

Prove me wrong!!

He's the traditional old type forward pocket, a natural crumber and goal kicker. I feel the AFL system will get him because he has to chase and tackle/defend up the ground.

He currently doesn't have the tank to do this and not sure if he will develop it or not, lets hope he does.

The best thing McHenry and Rowe have going for them at the moment is that it's hard to work out who is worse than the other. If I were a selector I'd be tempted to keep them both in next week purely as a tie-breaker to see who gets the chop. Though if I were bolder, I'd dump them both in favour of trying out Newchurch and attempting to rehabilitate Jones in the role, where has shown basic competency before and has had an actual, no-qualifiers, "good game".

Murphy and to a lesser extent McAdam have runs on the board and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as the other two currently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When our forwards are clunking them there's no football for you.

Need to stay out of the talls' way so you don't drag your opponent into their space or the contest... but somehow also be there to pick up the crumbs.

You can see here, that the forwards in McAdam and Rowe were in the right place. Probably argue that someone should have been at the back to collect potential crumbs, having ROB there (behind this pack) is not ideal, but at least he didnt contest for the mark.

1.png

Id love to see Newchurch in for McAdam.
Tell him he's got 3 games to prove why his defensive pressure alone will keep him in the side.
McAdam has dropped away...let him go back to the magoos and try for a MOTY;)

Id love to see Newchurch in for McAdam.
Tell him he's got 3 games to prove why his defensive pressure alone will keep him in the side.
McAdam has dropped away...let him go back to the magoos and try for a MOTY;)

McAdam remains a work in progress. First out should be Rowe, there's either no or very little development in him.

Poor old shano. Heā€™s bigfootys Jake kelly of the forward 50.

He really isn't. With Jake Kelly, you're left with one question? What's the point? Similar to Mackay. They're not bad players, but thoroughly mediocre.

Shane is more 2020 Matt Crouch then a genuine whipping boy. A good player who is in a right funk, and to the point he's a liability. Give him a couple of weeks in the SANFL, and McAdam will be back to the 2020 version.

How many games has he played again?

Bit more to it than that. Rowe is not a raw kid, he might get a little better, but he's basically a finished product. He's not an 18 year old, he's been a semi-pro player for a while. It's a consistent theme among those that get drafted out of the state leagues. They hit the ground running and peak quickly. Differences in peaks ie Barlow but you see where it is early with these players.

McAdam came from nowhere to the SANFL and on a rapid inclination. Rowe's been at it diligently and consistently since failing to get drafted the first time. Big difference between the 2.

The major point I was making is that they are babies in terms of AFL experience, but at the same time have some footy maturity to them, that being they have played against men regularly if you compare them to most AFL players that make their debut.

The major point I was making is that they are babies in terms of AFL experience, but at the same time have some footy maturity to them, that being they have played against men regularly if you compare them to most AFL players that make their debut.

No doubt there are similarities, but the difference in potential based around the difference paths is huge. They both played SANFL but it's how they got there that matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back