The great blackout of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 coolest year in nearly a decade and wettest since 2016
06/01/2022

60122104458-61d62d7aa3fb4.jpg

The Statement is the official summary and contextual information regarding temperatures, rainfall and significant weather for the 2021 calendar year.
Bureau of Meteorology Senior Climatologist Dr Simon Grainger said: "After three years of drought from 2017 to 2019, above average rainfall last year resulted in a welcome recharge of our water storages but also some significant flooding to eastern Australia."

In 2021, Australia's mean temperature was 0.56 °C above the 1961 to 1990 climate reference period. It was the 19th warmest year since national records began in 1910, but also the coolest year since 2012.

Despite the cooling impacts of the negative Indian Ocean Dipole, a period of warmer than usual ocean temperatures in the western Indian ocean, and La Niña, a period of cooling of the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, 2021 was warmer than average (calculated in relation to the 1961 to 1990 climate reference period) and warmer than historical La Niña years.

Temperatures were above or very much above average for most of northern Australia, Tasmania, and Western Australia's west coast, but below average for parts of inland New South Wales, and around the southern border of the Northern Territory and Western Australia.
Rainfall was 9 per cent above the 1961 to 1990 average, making 2021 the wettest year since 2016, with November the wettest on record.

Above average rainfall was observed for much of eastern Victoria, New South Wales, southern and central west Queensland, the western parts of Western Australia, and large parts of the far northern tropics.
As a result, significant flooding occurred across eastern Australia in March and again in November and December

On a positive note, the major dams in the Murray Darling Basin saw significant increases of water levels, replenishing storages affected by protracted drought.

Only a few small areas saw below average rainfall, including the border region of South Australia and Victoria.
A full report on Australia's weather and climate of 2021 will be released in February.

I read an article that I can't find that said we're expecting a slightly cooler couple of decades due to a Solar minimum or something like that. Not saying it's not still a warming trend, just that there's other factors at play.

In 2021, Australia's mean temperature was 0.56 °C above the 1961 to 1990 climate reference period. It was the 19th warmest year since national records began in 1910, but also the coolest year since 2012.

Despite the cooling impacts of the negative Indian Ocean Dipole, a period of warmer than usual ocean temperatures in the western Indian ocean, and La Niña, a period of cooling of the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean, 2021 was warmer than average (calculated in relation to the 1961 to 1990 climate reference period) and warmer than historical La Niña years.
I take back my previous post sorry. Didn't realise you were posting something that actually supported rising temperature statistics.

From the ABC:

Worldwide demand for solar panels presents global warming risk through aluminum production

ABC Capricornia / By Jasmine Hines and Paul Culliver
Posted 14m ago14 minutes ago

New research from the University of New South Wales warns that annual demand for solar power by 2050 will require more than 40 per cent of the current global aluminium production.(ABC News: Eliza Borrello )

As countries around the globe push towards net zero emissions targets, new research has highlighted an area of environmental concern in the production of solar panels.

An Australian study has found that to reach net zero milestones, the world will need almost 60 times more solar power, which will cause "concerning" levels of global warming.

Photovoltaic engineering researcher Alison Lennon said part of the problem was the emission-intensive production of aluminium, with solar panel components made with mostly aluminium frames, inverter casings, rooftop cells and mounts.
"The emissions that could be generated in producing that aluminium are really concerning," Professor Lennon said.
"Australia is actually the largest producer of bauxite, and one of the largest producers of alumina – so there's a real opportunity for Australia to play a big role in this growth of renewable energy."

The study revealed that for the global community to reach net zero by 2050, about 60 terawatts of solar power along with 480 megatons of aluminium would be required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ipswich residents in low lying areas are encouraged to prepare for flooding, as days of heavy rain combine with Wivenhoe Dam releases which started at 4am on Sunday (27 February).

New flood modelling available on the Ipswich City Council Disaster Dashboard includes the impact of the Wivenhoe Dam releases and shows that low lying areas of Goodna will be significantly inundated as well as some areas in Karalee and Barellan Point.

Council has been working with the Queensland Police Service and SES to commence the notification and evacuation of the impacted homes.

An updated emergency alert was sent throughout the Ipswich Local Government Area earlier this morning that included new forecast flood and inundation conditions.

Local Disaster Management Group Chairperson Mayor Teresa Harding said council modelling has raised concerns water could enter properties near the upper Brisbane River and its tributaries such as the Bremer River.

“Heavy rain has continued to fall overnight, and we are seeing higher levels of inundation to low lying areas across our city, especially in parts of Goodna and Bundamba where some residents needed to be evacuated in the middle of the night,” Mayor Harding said.

“Further flooding in lower areas of Bremer River and Warrill Creek are possible, depending on further Wivenhoe Dam releases and rain today.

“I urge residents in all low lying areas to act now, particularly in the Goodna area, if they have not done so already.

“If there is a threat to you or your home, please don’t wait to act. Gather any essential items such as important documents, food and water and medications.”

274947501_1000094510634606_6780265452092117504_n.jpg

Last edited:
Another pollution problem of a different kind heading our way.

Another pollution problem of a different kind heading our way.

Bicks the eco warrior. I like it.

I remember when solar panels 'would never be recycled'.

Fwiw I'm all for charging wind /solar generators a levy on waste and legislation should be introduced to ensure parts are recycled where possible.

I also think home owners with solar PV should be charged to have their end of life panels sent to recycling facilities. Will encourage more facility start ups and stop people installing oversized systems.

If you truly care about the environment then you should be happy to pay for recycling where it's not yet commercially viable. You should only install what you need.

We should be building houses that use less energy in the first place.

Fwiw I'm all for charging wind /solar generators a levy on waste and legislation should be introduced to ensure parts are recycled where possible.

I also think home owners with solar PV should be charged to have their end of life panels sent to recycling facilities. Will encourage more facility start ups and stop people installing oversized systems.

If you truly care about the environment then you should be happy to pay for recycling where it's not yet commercially viable. You should only install what you need.

LOL

Australian trade officials are in discussions with local coal producers as the federal government co-ordinates efforts to find supply for Poland and Asian trading partners amid a global scramble to replace Russian resources.
Officials from Austrade and the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources have been in contact with coal miners this week, asking whether capacity was available to supply Polish utilities – and whether coal promised into existing contracts could be diverted to Europe temporarily due to the Ukraine crisis.

The calls were made after high-level approaches by the Polish government seeking alternative sources to Russian coal used for heating and power generation.

Resources Minister Keith Pitt confirmed the government was “facilitating access to Australian thermal coal producers to interested parties as they seek alternative supplies from Russia”.

“Australian producers have indicated they are willing to help our friends and allies if they can,” Mr Pitt told The Australian.

Russia supplies up to 90 per cent of Poland’s coal but the country’s government has led the European charge to impose sanctions on Russia in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine.

Last week Poland proposed coal be included in a European Union sanctions list despite its dependence on imports.

Industry sources say officials also sought information on whether coal supplies could be made available to customers in South Korea and Japan, following requests from their counterparts in those countries.

A number of major Australian coal producers confirmed they had been approached by Austrade and senior DISER officials, although each declined to comment on the discussions due to the sensitive nature of the requests.

Coal producers have promised to weigh the requests in consultation with their marketing and trading teams, but industry sources say additional supply is unlikely to become free for months, amid tight markets for coal and soaring global prices.

Not really sure of the relevance.

Anyway

Just on that can panels be recycled?
I’m chafing my roof and the system up there is one of the originals and tiny.

Just on that can panels be recycled?
I’m chafing my roof and the system up there is one of the originals and tiny.
If they're poly or monocrystalline they can be. Don't know much about early systems but assuming they're the same type?

There's a company in lonsdale that recycles called Reclaim. Might have to look up whether they're for commercial systems or households.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back