perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
I know I'm going out on a limb here, but there's a fair chance the club list management, drafting and recruiting staff have a fair idea of the capabilities of hundreds of players they analyse each year. I'm as disappointed as the next person we didn't nab Ewan MacPherson, who had some encouraging write-ups on this board. But we seem to have made the right call in recent years over Darcy MacPherson, Jaidyn(?) Foster, Josh Wallis and others. (Ayce Cordy not so much!) The romanticism of father-son possibilities is great, unfortunately it clashes with a brutal reality these days of a business enterprise, with limited list spots and pressure to deliver. I'd love nothing more than he rubs our noses in it by performing well enough in early 2021 to get drafted mid-season or get another shot end of next year. The reality, though, is that history is against him.
Clubs in AFL look at hundreds of players. There is no doubt that they do their homework. I was in Argentina a few years ago and I was talking to a professional soccer player from a middle of the road first division club. He told me that Boca Juniors have a scout system that looks at 50,000 players each year. When he said that, I thought he was pulling my leg. It was confirmed again in a newspaper article he quoted. Unbelievable!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back