List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

Remove this Banner Ad

If we did end up somehow getting a pick before JUH and we were prioritizing a KPD would think DGB would be most likely. A lot of water to go under the bridge yet though.
I have a preference for a pacy midfielder which would be a better fit out of Phillips and Holland's??

It is unclear where Holland’s would play at AFL level. Some think midfield, others think forward. Good problem to have but ideally he is the creative player charged with delivering goals.

I would play him as a damaging HFF, with licence to go anywhere outside of defensive 50. He is the one you want with ball in hand, entering 50. His speed of ball movement is elite. Can also kick a great long goal.

Not sold on DGB as worthy of a top 5 pick. IF we need a KPD that much, perhaps trade the pick for one? I personally would keep the pick and get the top end player that is there.
Phillips, Hollands, Thilthorpe, MacRae, Callow are all probably top 5 (JUH being better than all of them makes a fab 6).

I'm hoping that Hollands does a Kemp, slides on draft day, and we can trade a future pick to get him.

No chance.

Decision making and speed of ball movement are key attributes for a damaging player. He is elite at both. Even it slowed by injury, he is still someone that has to be man marked OR you pay the price in goals.

I'm hoping that Hollands does a Kemp, slides on draft day, and we can trade a future pick to get him.
Lets say Brad Crouch leaves and Adelaide end up with picks 1 & 2 as well as GWS first pick that they landed last year.
What does it take to get pick 2?

Going off the draft point index pick 2 is worth 2,517
Pick 18 is worth 985 - but in a much stronger 2021 draft a speculative future first pick would have to be worth say 1200-1500 points?
So even if we finish somewhere from 4-8 this year we could have enough value in our next two first picks to entice a trade.

We then would have to accumulate enough points to get Marra - which with a 20% discount on pick 3 would be 1787 points.
This would be 2 very high 2nd rounders or 1 high second rounder and 2 high 3rds. But second and third rounders in this draft may not be too hard to obtain.

All highly subjective I know - but actually a bit more achievable than I thought it would be. The heavily compromised draft would definitely help.

Lets say Brad Crouch leaves and Adelaide end up with picks 1 & 2 as well as GWS first pick that they landed last year.

Pick 18 is worth 985 - but in a much stronger 2021 draft a speculative future first pick would have to be worth say 1200-1500 points?
So even if we finish somewhere from 4-8 this year we could have enough value in our next two first picks to entice a trade.

We then would have to accumulate enough points to get Marra - which with a 20% discount on pick 3 would be 1787 points.
This would be 2 very high 2nd rounders or 1 high second rounder and 2 high 3rds. But second and third rounders in this draft may not be too hard to obtain.

All highly subjective I know - but actually a bit more achievable than I thought it would be. The heavily compromised draft would definitely help.

I'm thinking about live trading during the draft. After Jamarra goes, and only if Hollands does a full Kemp and drops to late first round (which seems unlikely, but it did for Kemp as well), we could offer up next year's first then and there.

I would suggest that the earliest picks this year will be more premium than other years. IF clubs are only planning on taking 2 picks, you would want the earliest opportunity to make those picks. As much as I would love to get an early pick this year, I really rate the top of the draft. Really really rate it as being top top quality. Last years top pick, Rowell who is awesome, was matched by Phillips. Phillips isn’t regarded as the top pick this year. He might go at pick 5.... think about that. Top picks are premium premium.

Next years draft will be full of depth and mid to later picks will be great.

I would suggest that the earliest picks this year will be more premium than other years. IF clubs are only planning on taking 2 picks, you would want the earliest opportunity to make those picks. As much as I would love to get an early pick this year, I really rate the top of the draft. Really really rate it as being top top quality. Last years top pick, Rowell who is awesome, was matched by Phillips. Phillips isn’t regarded as the top pick this year. He might go at pick 5.... think about that. Top picks are premium premium.

Assuming the cost is too high to get ahead if a JUH bid how can we maximize our pick? Just accept we’re very fortunate and pay for JUH with it and run? Overpay for a player like a Caldwell because that pick will just get eaten up anyway if we don’t do anything with it?

Yeah I guess it's hard to know what factors will be at play come draft time.
My thinking was that recruiters may not want to use high level assets on guys that they have not been fully able to evaluate.
Although I guess that would be the case with Hollands regardless.

Assuming the cost is too high to get ahead if a JUH bid how can we maximize our pick? Just accept we’re very fortunate and pay for JUH with it and run? Overpay for a player like a Caldwell because that pick will just get eaten up anyway if we don’t do anything with it?
I really don't think any Giants player will come to us, and vice versa. Not anymore.

Caldwell is a pipe dream.

Trade our first pick for future pick/picks. Then trade back into the late first round IF we like who is available then. Otherwise, keep the future picks.

Trade our first pick for future pick/picks. Then trade back into the late first round IF we like who is available then. Otherwise, keep the future picks.
Granted Caldwell is just an example but we could be willing to throw a very decent first rounder out for someone. The deal could be too good to say no.

The AFL closed that loophole after the Swans exploited it to nab Blakey.

We have Raak and McPherson to take as well. We should be over the moon getting those two with JUH. I'd look at Rory Atkins as a FA who would fill a need for us, cost nothing at the trade table (we have no currency anyway) and we can get Keath in his ear to help coax him over. We have one proven AFL standard wingman on our list, we would be a better side with another one even if he does have a few gaps in his game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know mate, if you watch Haynes closely at the center bounce I'm sure I saw him mouth the words pleadingly to Bont, "just get me there"
Bont response: "Go near the effin' ball and you won't be able to mouth anything. Again."

The points system is so stupid we could trade pick 6 for picks 21, 36 and 37 from Port and end up with a surplus. That's not worth it but if we said 6 and a future second for a future first, 21, 36 and 37 I think that works out pretty well for everyone as Port will get another top pick and tip themselves to finish pretty high on the ladder next year, and we don't waste a high pick on Mara and get an extra first next year.

We have Raak and McPherson to take as well. We should be over the moon getting those two with JUH.

Yeah, they'd be good additions, and I doubt we'd have room for more than three new players anyway. If we had a fourth space on the list, we'd probably only have the picks to draft someone later, and there's plenty of talent late in the draft. Jackson Cardillo is one I can think of, he's a great contested ball winner who can tackle, play wing, play forward, get clearances, has a great penetrating kick and burst speed, and might be there at a later pick.

Now that's we're looking very unlikely to get a pick in before Marra, do people think we'll end up with anyone other than our academy players? Marra probably eats up any top 30 picks we have. Raak seems handy, and in a position of need, surely we match a likely later bid for him with later picks. If it ends up a shortened draft due to list reduction I can definitely see us just taking these two. Even if not, unless we trade someone of value out we're unlikely to have more than late picks. Does anyone have anyone they fancy late? Also, I have a feeling that we'll only take MacPherson in the rookie draft if at all (and if it still exists).

(See you back here after a couple losses to discuss how we're probably getting a pick in before Marra and who do we want)

Now that's we're looking very unlikely to get a pick in before Marra, do people think we'll end up with anyone other than our academy players? Marra probably eats up any top 30 picks we have. Raak seems handy, and in a position of need, surely we match a likely later bid for him with later picks. If it ends up a shortened draft due to list reduction I can definitely see us just taking these two. Even if not, unless we trade someone of value out we're unlikely to have more than late picks. Does anyone have anyone they fancy late? Also, I have a feeling that we'll only take MacPherson in the rookie draft if at all (and if it still exists).

(See you back here after a couple losses to discuss how we're probably getting a pick in before Marra and who do we want)
I can definitely see us trading out our 1st, either for a player or future picks, and just holding some picks purely for the sake of bid matching. JUH is the only one who should cost us anything - Raak probably won't be bid on in the first couple of rounds, so either our leftover points are enough, or we just take the risk and go into very minor deficit in the 3rd or 4th round next year.

Raak and MacPherson won't cost a lot between them once discounts happen. I can't really see us drafting more than 3 players, but who knows

If it were another team I would say it was dodgy but a huge advantage of a highly ranked FS or NGA is the ability to get two first rounders equivalents. Trade out our first pick for a player worth the pick - say we have pick 16 ;) then trade this pick for a very good player (especially a team needing to rebuild with youth and would get two first rounders) or for a first round next year. Then take Jugs at pick 1-3.

If it were another team I would say it was dodgy but a huge advantage of a highly ranked FS or NGA is the ability to get two first rounders equivalents. Trade out our first pick for a player worth the pick - say we have pick 16 ;) then trade this pick for a very good player (especially a team needing to rebuild with youth and would get two first rounders) or for a first round next year. Then take Jugs at pick 1-3.
We could afford to overpay for a player if we’re using our first pick in a trade. Could help get something over the line.

As it stands right now, we’d have pick 6, our own and Adelaide’s third rounders, and a fifth rounder.

Pick 6 would be enough to pay for a Jamarra bid if he’s not bid on at pick 1, or we’d be able to trade it to someone for two lower first round picks and be able to match even a pick 1 bid. We may be able to trade out one of those third rounders for a future pick and bring home Jamarra, Raak, and Macpherson, with a bit of extra currency for 2021.

As it stands right now, we’d have pick 6, our own and Adelaide’s third rounders, and a fifth rounder.

Pick 6 would be enough to pay for a Jamarra bid if he’s not bid on at pick 1, or we’d be able to trade it to someone for two lower first round picks and be able to match even a pick 1 bid. We may be able to trade out one of those third rounders for a future pick and bring home Jamarra, Raak, and Macpherson, with a bit of extra currency for 2021.
Realistically if we had Pick 6, we could probably split it for a 2nd next year plus a couple seconds this year to pay for JUH. I'd like to see us get value out of our 1st rather than just let it go away

Realistically if we had Pick 6, we could probably split it for a 2nd next year plus a couple seconds this year to pay for JUH. I'd like to see us get value out of our 1st rather than just let it go away
Pick 6 should allow us to a pretty good trade possibly for a Trade target or a combo of picks.
Not sure who we would chase in a trade at this point in time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back