List Mgmt. 2020 Draft - JUH & Bedendo

Remove this Banner Ad

we should do everything in our power to get fin McCrae he is a gunnnnn.

Pick 3 sounds about his value but I'm hoping the NGA/FS factor (where other clubs back off bidding until the player is a total steal) might mean he slides a bit further than that when the real draft comes around.

So for this phantom, I have two late picks, and if Raak and MacPherson don't get bids, I have my eye on a tackling winger and a KPD/backup ruck. I think that plus Jamarra would be a good draft haul.

So for this phantom, I have two late picks, and if Raak and MacPherson don't get bids, I have my eye on a tackling winger and a KPD/backup ruck. I think that plus Jamarra would be a good draft haul.
Have you got 5 list vacancies? I might have missed something ... who left or was delisted?

Have you got 5 list vacancies? I might have missed something ... who left or was delisted?

I'm going with three selections. Jamarra, and any combination of two of Raak, Macpherson, the hard tackling winger, and the KPD. Our academy kids come first but they may not be picked in the phantom, we're only going to round 4.

Okay, phantom draft haul, notwithstanding academy and F/S picks who didn't get bid on by the time of my third pick:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagen. We know him, we love him. Key forward with tons of X-factor.

Lochlan Jenkins. Midfielder who plays great on the outside, attacks the contest, knows how to tackle and take a contested possession, and was ready for a real breakout year.

Ben Kelly. Overage KPD/ruck who held Ben King to one goal in their u18 year.

Okay, phantom draft haul, notwithstanding academy and F/S picks who didn't get bid on by the time of my third pick:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagen. We know him, we love him. Key forward with tons of X-factor.

Lochlan Jenkins. Midfielder who plays great on the outside, attacks the contest, knows how to tackle and take a contested possession, and was ready for a real breakout year.

Ben Kelly. Overage KPD/ruck who held Ben King to one goal in their u18 year.

That is a good haul. Not sure we will have 5 list spots available but they are solid players to add to the squad.

Yeah, who knows what's happening with list sizes and delistings and retirements and trades, but this was a fun look at who'd fit into our squad. There aren't many KPDs in this year's draft, and I've had my eye on Ben Kelly for a while. Traded a future fourth for that pick, and I think that'd be worth it.

I was torn between Lochlan Jenkins and Jackson Cardillo, Cardillo is taller which was a point in his favour, but Jenkins getting runner-up MVP at the Chargers last year and playing a few absolute blinders made me think he had better upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jenkins caught my eye because of a 10-tackle game and another game with 21 contested possessions. Kid knows how to play tough.
We do need the toughness.... but what is his kicking and attacking mindset like? I hate watching people on the wing who take forever to kick it short and never attack longer down the field. drives me nuts.

We do need the toughness.... but what is his kicking and attacking mindset like? I hate watching people on the wing who take forever to kick it short and never attack longer down the field. drives me nuts.

From what I've read and seen, he's good at getting inside 50s and can hit the scoreboard himself. I'm not exactly super attached to him, but for a pick in the 40s, he seemed to have what we're after.

Just dropping by to share a podcast Triple M did with one of your recruiters, mostly focusing on Bont but also recruiting in general:

If I had to pick the top 4 right now on quality, I would go with:
  • Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
  • Elijah Hollands
  • Denver Grainger-Barras
  • Riley Thilthorpe
Keeping in mind that the bottom 4, in my opinion, will be Gold Coast, Carlton, Adelaide and Sydney. Of those, I doubt the first two want talls. Sydney definitely want talls.

I would pick Sydney to bid on JUH. Hollands will be taken by one of those 4, and guys like Will Phillips and Tanner Bruhn will be looking at the top 4 too. Usually I'd say clubs won't target needs that early, but Melbourne taking Jackson at 3 and Pickett early bucked the trend a little last year. Plus with no U18 games so far this year, it's not going to be as clear who the best prospects are. Right now, I'd be guessing:

Pick 1 - Gold Coast - Will Phillips
Pick 2 - Carlton - Elijah Hollands
Pick 3 - Sydney - bid on JUH, we match, take Denver Grainger-Barras
Pick4/5 - Adelaide - Riley Thilthorpe
I’m bored so reading a few teams draft threads.

If you don’t mind a couple of comments.

Every team in the top 10 last year drafted on a needs basis.

Some traded up or back to do so. The teams trading back, particularly Adelaide and Melbourne were happy to do so, so when they made their selections, it didn’t look like they were reaching.

Gold Coasts main need is KPD. They’re board is pretty high on DGB.

Their other needs are midfield and rebound defender, which they’ll get via their academy and NT.

Gold Coasts main need is KPD. They’re board is pretty high on DGB.

Makes sense, with King shifting forward and Lukosius probably working on his forward craft too.

Our biggest needs are KPD (specifically lockdown), winger, and hard tough players. Jamarra will end up costing a lot of what we have. I imagine we'll match bids on Raak and hope that he grows a bit and bulk up. We only really have one high tier dedicated winger, though we also have some inside types who can play on the outside too. I'd hope that we'd look at a winger with whatever picks we do have.

Makes sense, with King shifting forward and Lukosius probably working on his forward craft too.

Our biggest needs are KPD (specifically lockdown), winger, and hard tough players. Jamarra will end up costing a lot of what we have. I imagine we'll match bids on Raak and hope that he grows a bit and bulk up. We only really have one high tier dedicated winger, though we also have some inside types who can play on the outside too. I'd hope that we'd look at a winger with whatever picks we do have.
Guess if I were the Dogs, I’d take 3 picks to the draft, match JUH, then take best available kid that matches a need with the second pick, and pass on the third. Hope no other team drafts Raak, and bring him back as a 19 year old academy kid.

For your last list spot, then sign best available delisted free agent that fits a need straight after the draft to a one year contract.

Obviously, if possible try and trade your first pick for two second round picks with either Port or GC, for more points.

You could even look at a second deal, to combine your two third round picks to move up in to the back end of the second round at the same time, so you don’t lose the fourth pick.

I don’t believe you’ll have too much trouble matching JUH.

Speaking of free agents, I’m still in favour of us making an offer to Zac Williams. GWS may not be able to match it, it’d be great having another high level indigenous talent on the squad when Jamarra joins, and even if he’s better behind the ball than on the wing, that’d let someone like JJ take the wing. Draft picks are very important to us right now, so if we can lure a free agent over, we’d be laughing. And I think he’s one of the best free agents around.

Speaking of free agents, I’m still in favour of us making an offer to Zac Williams. GWS may not be able to match it, it’d be great having another high level indigenous talent on the squad when Jamarra joins, and even if he’s better behind the ball than on the wing, that’d let someone like JJ take the wing. Draft picks are very important to us right now, so if we can lure a free agent over, we’d be laughing. And I think he’s one of the best free agents around.
Love him as a player but reckon there would be a few clubs throwing big salary at him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back