The Great Injustice - The Grand Final Contract thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's ok for the Vic Government to spend money on this but not the WA government?

All it is you don't want to give it up because it is an amazing week. You have small scale views. You're the "ALT Right" of football.

*sigh*

Im saying the vic govt WILL spend to keep it. Thats a given because any govt that loses the gf from vic will probably be sacked

What ive been asking is IF the wa govt will be prepared to match and exceed this in the inevitable bidding war. So far only sydney has talked about a bid for the gf, and that was a pretty piss weak tyre kick for headlines.

The afl is all about the dollars, and it will follow them. Personally i tjink the coin wa would.need to pay for a one in five years event is way out of whack with other major events they could be chasing or investing in

I'd be more than happy too. I understand it could be difficult but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try, you should listen and negotiate.

I personally, wont be doing anything. Not least because i believe the Oval is pretty much spot on in terms of size and design for the Adelaide sporting climate.

TV rights will never be subject to where the grand final is held. Not least because the deals are done for 5-6 years ahead, and if the grand final is changing every year evidently you expect them to renegotiate it depending on where its held.
I agree with this. I'm trying to say that if we can grow the game in NSW/QLD and achieve higher ratings throughout the season in these audiences THEN the next TV rights deal will be much more lucrative. It is with this long term goal in mind that the AFL should be prepared to accept short term losses on GF revenue earning potential.

Well short sighted government as usual out this way in WA.

Thats a definite no to the idea of moving the grand final a week before because two WA team got in. GTFO. The Grand Final should be bid on and set in stone years in advance. Perth will be upgradeable to 70-80, Adelaide Oval has the grass hill which could be upgraded to fit another 20k and then Sydney has an 88k stadium. A grand final should be played in all of these cities regardless if both teams from the state are in the GF. Come make the trek over here for a grand final week. You'll have heaps of fun like when interstaters go to Melbourne each year. Bring the game and the entertainment that comes with it to the fans in each of these states that can't afford to go across to Melbourne for the Grand Final.
There is currently no stadium fit to host an event such at the Grand Final besides the MCG. Olympic Stadium is being renovated to a rectangular stadium as it should of been years ago... Perth Stadium would want to be north of 80k to be in consideration which I don't see happening for a while and Adelaide Oval is too small and I doubt any redevelopment will come soon if ever as it'll require getting rid of the hill/scoreboard; the last traditional parts of the stadium which I say many people associated with the ground would fight to keep to the end.

You blokes are absolute ****silly people if you believe the Grand Final should be played in Melbourne every year. Why should 10 teams get such an advantage every year? Why should the fans outside of Victoria be neglected?
West Coast have made 6 Grand Finals? Correct me if I'm wrong... won 3, lost 3? Of the 3 won, 2 were against a Victorian teams; Geelong, the other against Sydney. Of the 3 lost, 1 was against Sydney, 2 against Hawthorn. So of the 4 Grand Finals you've played against Victorian teams you've won 2 and lost 2... doesn't sound like such an unfair advantage towards Victorian teams if you ask me... that's a 50/50 record! well West Coast have dealt with it pretty well at least ;)

No this is about growing the game in non AFL states and the integrity of the competition. The AFL's last TV rights deal was $2.5B, and that is with a very limited following in 2 of the 3 largest states in Australia. The benefits of growing the game in these areas outweighs the drop in revenue generated by a grand final every few years. Look at the bigger picture.
What non-AFL states (I'm presuming NSW, QLD, ACT) have the stadium fit to host such an event? Keep in mind Olympic stadium is being redeveloped into a rectangular stadium.

West Coast have made 6 Grand Finals? Correct me if I'm wrong... won 3, lost 3? Of the 3 won, 2 were against a Victorian teams; Geelong, the other against Sydney. Of the 3 lost, 1 was against Sydney, 2 against Hawthorn. So of the 4 Grand Finals you've played against Victorian teams you've won 2 and lost 2... doesn't sound like such an unfair advantage towards Victorian teams if you ask me... that's a 50/50 record! well West Coast have dealt with it pretty well at least ;)
Your assuming that the won 2 lost 2 would have been the same at a neutral or wa venue. An even result isn't always a fair result.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

WHY would the WA Govt have to pay IF the Vic Govt don't? You've lost me on this Tige, know there is lots of static from the West.
He's saying why would the WA gov pay to expand this stadium again and then make a high bid (that'll have to be higher then any Vic bid) to justify hosting a game maybe once every 5 years? Politically it's not a very smart move for any government.

WHY would the WA Govt have to pay IF the Vic Govt don't? You've lost me on this Tige, know there is lots of static from the West.

The vic govt will, either by juicing the overall mcc deal or etihad upgrades. As i said before, the vics will be made to pay by the afl, its how they roll

The vic govt will, either by juicing the overall mcc deal or etihad upgrades. As i said before, the vics will be made to pay by the afl, its how they roll

I'd disagree, the MCC have the GF to 2035, full stop !
In the interim, IF the NRL profit by selling the GF for $big & only then will the issue get an airing.

Post 2035 will be a different world.

In the interim, IF the NRL profit by selling the GF for $big & only then will the issue get an airing.

I thought we are talking post 35, nothing is changing before then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2037 is the last grand final.

1992 - 40 year contract signed as part of southern stand upgrade and AFL getting 23,000 seat members reserve and shiny new offices in the stand = 2032. Eddie's negotiations to get rid of Non Vic home PF rule after 2004 season saw 5 years added, so 2037 is last GF under current deal.

Last edited:
Yeah and when Hawthorn have "Our House, Our Rules" on their banner and blatantly rub the advantage in your face on grand final day, do you think its ok.
images

Fair enough we got blasted in those two losses to the hawks, but if you cannot see the advantage of guaranteeing that if one of the 10 teams in makes it they train at their facilities and can be absolutely comfortable in their own bed with their partner during the lead up to the game compared to a team that has to train at suburban grounds and be in a hotel room in a foreign state for 3-4 nights, well then you too just want to keep the advantage to yourself.

Yes my club is successful, we've been up against it from the start no thanks to the governing body and the MCC. a 50-50 record is good but I'd much rather be 6 from 6. The losses still haunt me.

Enough about the past, I'm trying to start a change and bring integrity to the sport. Bring the game to the fans.

Of course there will be travelling teams when the game is played anywhere, but the fact the AFL guarantees that advantage to 10 teams every year is outrageously unfair. We're locked in now, but in 2038 lets break that glass ceiling!

*sigh*

Im saying the vic govt WILL spend to keep it. Thats a given because any govt that loses the gf from vic will probably be sacked

What ive been asking is IF the wa govt will be prepared to match and exceed this in the inevitable bidding war. So far only sydney has talked about a bid for the gf, and that was a pretty piss weak tyre kick for headlines.

The afl is all about the dollars, and it will follow them. Personally i tjink the coin wa would.need to pay for a one in five years event is way out of whack with other major events they could be chasing or investing in
Yeah bring it on then. I'm telling you, we'd be willing to pay. I think you're forgetting that we are also footy and sports mad. The only reason you're city is the sporting capital is because it's a bigger city. Perth is sports and outdoors mad.

The Vic government might think they should but they shouldn't have any fvcking say in whether or not the Grand Final is rotated/bidded on. It should be strictly a discussion by the AFL commission. Of which I am going to be CEO of the AFL in 2038 so :sunglasses:

You really never learned about fairness and integrity. It's all short term me me me me me me I dont want to lose the GF. This event is bigger than Melbourne. It's an Australian event. The most Australian event in the world. Please if you ever go to Europe post 2018, don't fly QANTAS, we don't want you stopping over here. We don't need your money in our economy to bid on this game.

Yeah bring it on then. I'm telling you, we'd be willing to pay. I think you're forgetting that we are also footy and sports mad. The only reason you're city is the sporting capital is because it's a bigger city. Perth is sports and outdoors mad.

The Vic government might think they should but they shouldn't have any fvcking say in whether or not the Grand Final is rotated/bidded on. It should be strictly a discussion by the AFL commission. Of which I am going to be CEO of the AFL in 2038 so :sunglasses:

You really never learned about fairness and integrity. It's all short term me me me me me me I dont want to lose the GF. This event is bigger than Melbourne. It's an Australian event. The most Australian event in the world. Please if you ever go to Europe post 2018, don't fly QANTAS, we don't want you stopping over here. We don't need your money in our economy to bid on this game.

dude, its not about "fairness and integrity" or what the vic govt wants. Its about the afl getting coin.

it wants $300m+ from the vic govt for etihad, PLUS the redevelopment of the GSS (which includes the AFL members reserve). both provide the kind of coin the AFL want well in excess of anything the WA govt would provide (unless on crack)

dude, its not about "fairness and integrity" or what the vic govt wants. Its about the afl getting coin.

it wants $300m+ from the vic govt for etihad, PLUS the redevelopment of the GSS (which includes the AFL members reserve). both provide the kind of coin the AFL want well in excess of anything the WA govt would provide (unless on crack)
If it's not, sack the *ers and bring in a commission that do then.

I didn't know the vic scum trained at the mcg and visiting teams could not. What a load of convaluted tripe. A little bit of familiarity about it, I think we played 1 game at the g in 13. Might have been enough to get us our first afl cup.

If it's not, sack the gooses and bring in a commission that do then.

And who's gunna sack them? The clubs want cash just as much as the commission does

Face it, if you want a comp where it's not primarily about generating revenue, watch the wafl

I didn't know the vic scum trained at the mcg and visiting teams could not. What a load of convaluted tripe. A little bit of familiarity about it, I think we played 1 game at the g in 13. Might have been enough to get us our first afl cup.

They don't. Why do you think we all have our own training grounds, and rfc fans were disappointed ours was configured to etihad and not the g

Perhaps the darkest, most Vic-centric and unprincipled action since the AFL went national. And that is saying something because the AFL has virtually no shame with its level of the afforementioned.

No thanks... Mr Oakley.
It wasn't the 40 consecutive GF's at the MCG that was the real problem of this deal, it was that for 40 years they had to play at least 1 final a week at the MCG. There already was Sydney, West Coast, Brisbane and Adelaide in the league, WCE had made finals in 1988, 1990,1991 and looked like again in 1992 when the deal was signed, Sydney had been there in 1986 and 1987 and they knew Port wanted to get in given the 1990 attempt to put a team in and that WA would get a second side, and they just blindly said yep they can play their finals at the MCG. Introducing the 8 and 2 PF's in 1994 got them out of the s**t for a few years but the 2004 Brisbane home PF at the MCG showed them up for fools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back