Toast The great man signs on for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Better than Matthews?
I can’t get over his 915 (thought it was 1000 for some reason) goals.
He was before my time though.
Matthews was a follower/rover as well. Totally remarkable.

Tex if he played in those years would have been a 1000 goal player. Everything was man on man.

He doesn’t get thrown up as the best player, I’m guessing he wasn’t flashy, just got the jun done?
Sam Mitchell?
He’s crowned Player of The Century by the hall of fame.

There’s a story some lions players after the 3rd flag said where would you be without us Leigh.

He replied, then I’d only be player of the century.

He doesn’t get thrown up as the best player, I’m guessing he wasn’t flashy, just got the jun done?
Sam Mitchell?
Mathews was a thug on the field. Lethal by name and nature. I recall the Neville Bruns hit. We thought he would be police charged for it. In fairness it was a brutal era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s crowned Player of The Century by the hall of fame.

There’s a story some lions players after the 3rd flag said where would you be without us Leigh.

He replied, then I’d only be player of the century.

Only a couple of years earlier Ted Whitten had been named best player in vfl history - to many people’s surprise.

Matthews 7 B&F in those hawthorn teams is incredible.

Carey however…

Not gonna lie, Tex is probably the main reason I’ve been eager to watch the games this year. I’m a goals lover and when Tex is on, there’s really nothing better to see as far as I’m concerned.
Just this year? Just about the only reason I've watched us play since 2017. Love for him to get an AA this year, well overdue.

Tex if he played in those years would have been a 1000 goal player. Everything was man on man.
Maybe. If his training standards were from the 2020's and he played in the 80s.

But probably that wouldn't have happened.

Agree he'd have kicked more goals though. Probably have played longer and been suspended more too.

Remember 2010ish, when he was just bigger and stronger than anyone else out there? Too slow probably, but he was untackleable and fended off everyone? Got suspended a bit too. He'd have had a career doing that in the 80's with that body shape.

Remember 2010ish, when he was just bigger and stronger than anyone else out there? Too slow probably, but he was untackleable and fended off everyone? Got suspended a bit too. He'd have had a career doing that in the 80's with that body shape.
2012 when he got suspended three times in the season from memory. He still kicked 63 goals.

Had some games where he just went nuts. Kicked bags of goals and sent blokes flying (that Steven Morris one was memorable).

If he was playing today he'd be referred to as midfielder/forward...played quite a bit forward as well as follower/rover.

Better than Matthews?
I can’t get over his 915 (thought it was 1000 for some reason) goals.
He was before my time though.

It's hard to compare. Carey played against the best every week. Matthews played in an era where the best were split playing each weekend in their state leagues, with only State Carnivals providing a chance to see the best against the best. Was Matthews better than Robran for example? What about a pre-WWII champion in Haydn Bunton Snr who won 3 Sandovers and 3 Brownlows and played 1 last season after the war for Port Adelaide in 1945, losing to West Torrens in the Grand Final (the only time Bunton played in a finals side at state league level)?

There should be a distinct difference between the VFL era and the AFL era. The VFL going from a semi-pro state league to a full time professional national league in that period from the late 80's to the early 90's. Garry McIntosh being the last AFL quality player to choose to stay in the SANFL before all roads lead to the AFL.

Anyway, glad that Tex has signed on another year. He's still playing better than ever. As likeable as any Crows player that has pulled on the guernsey and displays that old fashioned loyalty and love for the jumper that earns the respect of any football fan, for any team, from any era.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back