Society/Culture The great myth of higher education value

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are you wandering off topic with this political dross, education doesnt need people pushing their own barrow. Have you got another agenda, something you need to hide in the education area, a skeleton, a vestred interest .... :poo:

Only illustrating why medusala hates higher education and wants to wind it back to for only rich kids.

Higher education has its place but perhaps for 90% of courses, they should be run alongside work. More like an apprenticeship where work and education are combined to deliver real experience.

That way we won't have all these graduates duped by fake or worthless degrees.

"The United Kingdom this year overtook Germany in maths - a subject that has long been an "embarrassment" for the country and improved in reading. Five years ago, the Conservative government forced through controversial reforms, including introducing more explicit teaching in maths, and making phonics central to teaching reading."
SMH

"The United Kingdom this year overtook Germany in maths - a subject that has long been an "embarrassment" for the country and improved in reading. Five years ago, the Conservative government forced through controversial reforms, including introducing more explicit teaching in maths, and making phonics central to teaching reading."
SMH
Kinda funny how reversing bizarre faddish late 20th century nonsense produces results.

Why are you wandering off topic with this political dross, education doesnt need people pushing their own barrow. Have you got another agenda, something you need to hide in the education area, a skeleton, a vested interest .... :poo:
He's a very simple man and a slave to black and white thinking like a Sith Lord.

Higher education has its place but perhaps for 90% of courses, they should be run alongside work. More like an apprenticeship where work and education are combined to deliver real experience.

That way we won't have all these graduates duped by fake or worthless degrees.

This today problem is well before higher education.

Im serious. Critical thinking, politics and more history needs to become mandatory so populism never happens again. The last three years have validated and reinforced the need for more art course teaching.

A) Arts hardly teaches critical thinking
B) Populism has been around forever, see ridiculous policies like free uni, NBN etc.

Nothing has validated the needs for more Arts grads. Look at the vacuous non entities on the alp front bench, huge amount of arts degrees there.

Nationalism doesn't work well on people who've been through enough study to know The Others don't cause their problems.

Yeah Norway and Switzerland are such failures.

i.e. Brexit polls s**t with under 40s in Medusalaland because they've gone through more education than grey-haired people.

lol, another one who thinks an arts degree somehow counts as education.

Kinda funny how reversing bizarre faddish late 20th century nonsense produces results.
Like all things evolving, there are some successful improvements and there are failures. A key action has always been correctly identifying which side of the fence a particular "new" method actually sits, relevant to the desired outcome and making the necessary adaptions.
Personally I think the biggest missing pieces regarding Australia's now disastrous education failings, at all levels, lay within curriculum content/offerings, teacher quality/talent or perhaps more importantly, those responsible during this period of descension for devising, implementing and administering the causative, enabling structures surrounding these.

Colloquially known as; "Crap content taught by crap teachers."

Last edited:
another one who thinks an arts degree somehow counts as education.

Would it not count? My arts degree completed many years ago provided me with a good grounding in history, politics, religion and literature, that I've since built further upon. It certainly provided a far deeper knowledge and understanding in those areas than anything I studied in secondary school.

Would it not count? My arts degree completed many years ago provided me with a good grounding in history, politics, religion and literature, that I've since built further upon. It certainly provided a far deeper knowledge and understanding in those areas than anything I studied in secondary school.

Is it a luxury, the degree I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, education has become a con job. its Become a sausage factory for degrees that, for the most part, won’t lead to any significant outcomes for the holder, STEM or no STEM. For the employer, it makes it that much more difficult to find the applicant fit for the job.

Sadly, education has become a con job. its Become a sausage factory for degrees that, for the most part, won’t lead to any significant outcomes for the holder, STEM or no STEM. For the employer, it makes it that much more difficult to find the applicant fit for the job.
I dont think you know what sausage factory means. Look it up.

Ps. If you want a job with decent working conditions ane earns over 150 grand per year you are going to need a uni degree.

Last edited:
"In the last few PISA tests, first-generation Australians have performed far better than those who have lived in the country longer. That's put down to the immigrant work ethic of their parents, and to the emphasis on education in their countries of origin."

Very interesting. My guess was immigrants were bringing down the score but turns out the opposite. Its the bogans who suck.

A) Arts hardly teaches critical thinking
B) Populism has been around forever, see ridiculous policies like free uni, NBN etc.

Nothing has validated the needs for more Arts grads. Look at the vacuous non entities on the alp front bench, huge amount of arts degrees there.

arts degrees are more practical than most are lead to believe

1575711681210.png

I dont think you know what sausage factory means. Look it up.

Ps. If you want a job with decent working conditions ane earns over 150 grand per year you are going to need a uni degree.
I know what it means. And no, your time would be better spent doing a trade in the construction industry- the odds are much better. There’s plenty of uni graduates making lattes at your local cafe, not so much plumbers.

I know what it means. And no, your time would be better spent doing a trade in the construction industry- the odds are much better. There’s plenty of uni graduates making lattes at your local cafe, not so much plumbers.
People earning a wage in the construction industry do not earn good money and they work outside all day doing manual labour which sucks.

People earning a wage in the construction industry do not earn good money and they work outside all day doing manual labour which sucks.
Lmao

I'll bet my left testicle the blokes working on the major sites in and around the city not only earn more money than you, but are smarter and more productive to the Australian economy as well. You shouldn't look down your nose at people, homie.

Depends, big building construction that is unionised pays really well with all the BS perks. But at the opposite end working on new domestic housing the pay is very ordinary.

Lmao

I'll bet my left testicle the blokes working on the major sites in and around the city not only earn more money than you, but are smarter and more productive to the Australian economy as well. You shouldn't look down your nose at people, homie.
And they make up a large proportion of those that go on to be builders, project managers and developers where the big coin is. No HECS either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back