News The Great Power Outage of 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
The secret is to get in first and make the comment, 'Us Port supporters are used to a Power outage we have been experiencing one since about June'. If you don't you will leave yourself open to all sorts of snide Power jokes.

On a more serious note it is a matter of national concern that a cataclysmic weather event 300 km north of Adelaide can take out a whole state. Image if a terrorist decided to target a couple of strategic pylons, they could black out the nation.

From what I could gather from the ABC last night a cyclonic wind took out power pylons at five different locations across south Australia. This resulted in a serious imbalance in the South Australian power network and the automated system did what it was supposed to do- shut down. This is known as islanding and South Australia was isolated from the National Grid. There was no problem with either of the two interconnectors. Once the areas of damage were identified and isolated South Australian Power Networks under direction from Electronet were able to restore power. The reason it took so long was that the power had to be switched on in stages as flicking the switch would have resulted in a surge and the auto shut down would have re occurred.

At our house we were without power for eight hours. There was little or no petrol, people were trapped car parks and many supermarkets were affected. As expected the Seaford train and trams stopped running. I would not be buying any perishables from a supermarket unless they can show they have auxiliary power.

Full marks to ABC 891 for keeping us up to speed during the night. Full marks to emergency services, the police and the majority of motorists who used common sense at intersections etc.

Latest info is that 22 power transmission points were affected around the Port Augusta area and that Adelaide was subjected to over 80,000 lightning strikes. What sort of wind bends a power plyon to the ground ? That has to be cyclonic.

The 000 network is unavailable in some areas.

The wind has eased down south where I am but is expected to pick up again tonight.

Last edited:
I have to ask, has the Liberal party got any idea about the South Australian power grid and the retail market in SA? I ask because the Libs want to re open the Pt Augusta Power station to cater for another once in fifty year event.

Do they honestly believe that re commissioning the Pt Augusta Power station which is owned by Alinita will cost nothing?
Do they believe that maintaining this power station so that it is capable of going on line at a moment's notice with cost nothing?
Do they believe that Alinta will pay to recommission a power station that was losing money when it was closed?
Do they believe that the State Government and by default the South Australian taxpayer should have to pay the millions of dollars to reinstate a plant that is the first stages of demolition and from which equipment has already been sold?

South Australian power prices are already the dearest in the nation and the subsidies required to support a coal fired power station would make them even higher.

The Liberal plan becomes even more absurd when it is realised that this plan is only a temporary measure. We have to ask, temporary till when and why would you want to spend millions of SA Taxpayers money on something that isn't even seen as a permanent fix ? Far better to put the money into a national grid that gives South Australia a backup power feed from NSW.

Talk is cheap when you are in Opposition.

I've long been a fan of Musk and followed all his developments. I suggested months ago on FB (when my brother was letting off steam about blackouts) that SA should get him in to deal with the power issues. I never actually thought it would happen though, and I was stunned the other day when my bro brought it to my attention.

Malcolm trying to get in on the action showing that he is agile, a techie and likes renewals despite the fact of what he has said the last few months.

Really Turnbull??? what all those ads on tv about "clean coal"?

Turnbull wouldn't know innovation if it bit him on the arse.

Oh boy, we really have a chimpanzee leading us from Canberra. On Sunday Turnbull is extolling the virtues of battery storage. Today he is sledging the South Australian Government for having the temerity to put forward a plan that encompasses battery storage and gas fired power generation. Of course the real problem for Malcolm is the gas turbine bit. He hasn't got enough gas because he allowing it to be exported.

The SA government has put up a solution and while we may not all agree with it as a way forward it is an attempt to rectify a situation. On the other hand Malcolm has yet to come up with anything other than to s**t can the SA idea.

It is interesting that the SA Opposition was talking about recommissioning the Pt Augusta power station and on the weekend joined in the chorus telling us how willing they were to talk on the battery storage concept. Now suddenly someone has stolen their thunder and they are blind sided.

There is game of political football going on atm and Australia is not well served by it. Time for Malcolm to put that football aside and start to lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back