"The Great Resignation"

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually that reminds me I gotta get back to trying to write this regional town art heist movie.

After finding out the value of the works in the local art gallery I think it would definitely be a profitable venture for any willing thieves.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Like the Netflix doco: This is a Robbery on a theft from a Boston gallery in 1980.

Incredible amount of people movement in the Mining industry atm, way more than usual.

People moving around left right centre, getting harder to keep people, however I'm getting bombarded with job offers nearly every day
I work for one of the big four professional services firms and retention and recruitment of staff is a major strategic initiative, as it is getting harder to attract and retain good staff.

I work for one of the big four professional services firms and retention and recruitment of staff is a major strategic initiative, as it is getting harder to attract and retain good staff.
If companies rewarded their staff appropriately financially, trusted their staff and took staff feedback on board more often, I have a good feeling retention may improve.

Can't get labour hire to save myself at the moment. Retail can't get staff for all the money in the world.

The lack of international students having some serious knock-on effects in the casualised workforce.

Big four are body shops, serves them right
My role suits me perfectly for where I am at in life, good work life balance and flexibility and not bad dollars, but I must admit some teams are slaves to the job, particularly at this time of year. But there are plenty of benefits for someone starting out, great opportunities to learn and experience an array of things that in smaller firms just wouldn't happen.

Incredible amount of people movement in the Mining industry atm, way more than usual.

People moving around left right centre, getting harder to keep people, however I'm getting bombarded with job offers nearly every day
Are you in WA?

Can't get labour hire to save myself at the moment. Retail can't get staff for all the money in the world.

The lack of international students having some serious knock-on effects in the casualised workforce.
And yet unemployed isn't reaching any lows.

My role suits me perfectly for where I am at in life, good work life balance and flexibility and not bad dollars, but I must admit some teams are slaves to the job, particularly at this time of year. But there are plenty of benefits for someone starting out, great opportunities to learn and experience an array of things that in smaller firms just wouldn't happen.
Depends on the field. In accounting, getting the name of a big four firm on your resume starting out can be really helpful (and if you want a career in assurance it’s almost mandatory)

On the other hand their consulting arms (plus Accenture) do a lot of augmentation and implementation work, and as a result compare unfavourably in terms of reputation and staff to smaller consultancies like McKinsey or BCG

But my objection is mostly to the toxic Big 4 business model, which is effectively a pyramid scheme that commodifies junior staff

It’s very pleasing to see this come back to bite them

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our neighbour was on the mines in WA and he's been off for at least six months. Attempted to get back to work a couple months ago, got through SA border but was turned back at the WA border. I daresay there could be many others in the same predicament.

I'm 36 but I feel like I'm 66 for posting this...

But what a bunch of juvenile idiots. Clearly, I'm in the "They don't understand work ethic" crowd - but here we are, seeing the side of a story from a young person with most likely bugger all life experience and we aren't hearing the side of the employer.

I feel like the younger generation coming up with things like 'participation awards' instead of winning in sports are just coming to expect that everything in life will come easily.

GOD DAMN IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

I reckon I'd understand more if the article was a Tik Tok of 30-50yo full timers that were leaving.

Particularly, the one who complains about a start time being tough because the bus schedule changed. For a split second, I see her point but I feel like when I was coming up through teenage jobs and the like, this sort of issue rested with me, not the employer. But now it's seen as the employer needs to be the one to adjust.. it's a real shift in the power and I'm personally not sure that's right

I'm 36 but I feel like I'm 66 for posting this...

But what a bunch of juvenile idiots. Clearly, I'm in the "They don't understand work ethic" crowd - but here we are, seeing the side of a story from a young person with most likely bugger all life experience and we aren't hearing the side of the employer.

I feel like the younger generation coming up with things like 'participation awards' instead of winning in sports are just coming to expect that everything in life will come easily.

GOD DAMN IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

I reckon I'd understand more if the article was a Tik Tok of 30-50yo full timers that were leaving.

Particularly, the one who complains about a start time being tough because the bus schedule changed. For a split second, I see her point but I feel like when I was coming up through teenage jobs and the like, this sort of issue rested with me, not the employer. But now it's seen as the employer needs to be the one to adjust.. it's a real shift in the power and I'm personally not sure that's right
Man the best time to not put up with s**t is when you're young, no massive debt or responsibilities like a mortgage or kids

Companies take the piss all the time and a lot of younger workers are casual and expected to be available for work even when not rostered on to cover

They want us to be flexible but won't return the favor often

BTW if you get angry at this don't read news.com.au its all the do

There's not a lot of incentive to put up with shitty jobs and shitty bosses in a lot of sectors at the moment, with the job market as good as it is

Goes doubly for hospitality/retail work in the USA, where the pandemic has meant more risk and more instability for the same shitty poverty-line pay

There's not a lot of incentive to put up with shitty jobs and shitty bosses in a lot of sectors at the moment, with the job market as good as it is

Goes doubly for hospitality/retail work in the USA, where the pandemic has meant more risk and more instability for the same shitty poverty-line pay

The job 'market' might be good but you're just jumping from a job where youj probably dislike something to another job where you'll probably dislike something else.

This whole "you'll never work a day in your life if you love what you do" is an ideal that you aspire to, not an expectation you should have out of school.

The job 'market' might be good but you're just jumping from a job where youj probably dislike something to another job where you'll probably dislike something else.

This whole "you'll never work a day in your life if you love what you do" is an ideal that you aspire to, not an expectation you should have out of school.
the idea that you should put up with being treated like s**t to get paid when young seems to be your view

Best way to keep your career progressing and increase your salary is to regularly change jobs. Anyone who stays in the same position for longer than 2-3 years is doing themselves a disservice.

I traded in my perfectly okay job about 18 months ago because I was over the repetitive work and old-school management. Landed a more interesting position with better pay and more flexibility. I've already been promoted once, I work from wherever I like, and I essentially get to pick and choose my own projects.

If you're unhappy you have nothing to lose by making a change - especially given the opportunities the pandemic has thrown up. If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back