The Great Stink of London 1858

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Cashie

Team Captain
Jan 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
We’ve all heard of the Black Death, the great fire of London along with many other historical dates in the history of England but did you guys know that the big stink as a result of the Thames being a dumping and shitting ground exacerbated during the hot summer of 1858 was the catalyst for the invention of the sewerage systems that we today take for granted?

medusala

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’ve all heard of the Black Death, the great fire of London along with many other historical dates in the history of England but did you guys know that the big stink as a result of the Thames being a dumping and shitting ground exacerbated during the hot summer of 1858 was the catalyst for the invention of the sewerage systems that we today take for granted?
raw sewage STILL goes in to the Thames.

https://www.tideway.london/news/media-centre/major-sewage-discharges-to-river-thames/

Herne Hill Hammer

Premium Platinum
Jun 22, 2008
Cowes
AFL Club
Geelong
There's a great doco on Netflix about this, forgot the name but well worth the watch.
Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. It's a great series.

iirc, the genisis for the sewerage system was a young doctor working out that cholera that was running pretty rampant at the time was traceable back to their communal fresh water hand pumps.

1. The Great Ship
2. The Brooklyn Bridge
3. Bell Rock Lighthouse
4. The Sewer King
5. The Panama Canal
6. The Line
7. The Hoover Dam

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Legends in their own lifetime with the great Samuel Pepys... great writer... told it like it was..is.. no that is the fire..

Same diff.. different legend..

Tockles

Draftee
Mar 24, 2021
London
AFL Club
Carlton
When I saw this thread I was afraid that it was a reference to my farts 💨... Then I remembered the historical context.

It was a typically British case of years of neglect (as a result of which a lot of people got sick and died) followed by actions with a successful outcome - actions that should have been taken much earlier. Sort of reminds me of our chaotic handling of Covid (highest death rate in Europe) followed by the (so far) outstanding vaccine rollout.

Wallaby

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
The main reason something finally got done was that the pollution and stench from Thames was so bad, conditions in the Houses of Parliament (right on the waterfront) were so diabolical the pollies couldn't stand it - so they finally voted some money to fix it.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
The main reason something finally got done was that the pollution and stench from Thames was so bad, conditions in the Houses of Parliament (right on the waterfront) were so diabolical the pollies couldn't stand it - so they finally voted some money to fix it.
I think the bloke that made it

Did it twice the size it was meant to be.

Hence can still be used today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben The Donkey

Senior List
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
It wasn’t growing everywhere. If it was they would of been a large civilisation that settled down And created a big stink.
There is a growing and palpable romanticism attached to Indigenous culture.
To hear some tell it these days, Australia was a utopia before the Brits arrived to screw it all up.

Remove this Banner Ad