The Greatest World Cup Matches - 1999 semi-final ranked 1

A really engaging piece from the Cricket Monthly, where the top ten games from World Cups are ranked.

Unsurprisingly enough, the 1999 semi-final (no, not the Pakistan-New Zealand one) made it as number one, which I don't think many would argue with.

The write up of that semi-final is absolutely brilliant. It brings back the memories and should be seen by all: http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1176611/the-unimprovable-game

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
A really engaging piece from the Cricket Monthly, where the top ten games from World Cups are ranked.

Unsurprisingly enough, the 1999 semi-final (no, not the Pakistan-New Zealand one) made it as number one, which I don't think many would argue with.

The write up of that semi-final is absolutely brilliant. It brings back the memories and should be seen by all: http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1176611/the-unimprovable-game

I was going to post exactly the same thing - it is so vividly written and despite the fact that everyone knows what happened it is almost like reliving it all over again with the exact same amount of suspense. It’s the best cricket feature I’ve read in years.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Loved the way they described those two shots from Klusener at the start of the over. And it’s not hyperbole to suggest that they are among the hardest struck shots in cricket - they absolutely f***ing hummed.

I can kind of sympathise with a guy like Donald just assuming that he’d bang another one

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It was interesting seeing Klusener go into bat for Donald but kinda tip the bucket on the bats. He said Donald should have never been in that position, where were the recognised bats?

Yeah and I can agree. That line up had some of the best one day bats of the era - Gibbs, Kisten, Kallis and Cronje were some of the most nerveless players of their generation.

Yeah and I can agree. That line up had some of the best one day bats of the era - Gibbs, Kisten, Kallis and Cronje were some of the most nerveless players of their generation.
While this is true, running into a certain S.K.Warne possessed by some otherworldly force didn’t make that particularly easy.

Back