The Greek football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellington :D
Jumped ship from Adelaide because Wellington were less s**t (at the time) and I love the colours and phoenixes (is that the plural noun?). Seriously, how cool is the nickname Phoenix?! :yellowheart::mbcircle::fireemoji:

I remember hearing Wellington chose the phoenix to have an emblem that looked as close to AEK's dikefalo as possible, explains their colours as well. Their first owner was Greek born, Kiwi Terry Serepisos who I suspect would've been an AEK fan.

Picking up where daicosdemis took off, as far as my history attending Greek football matches goes, I had my first experience last season. I was lucky enough to arrive in Thessaloniki the day Berbatov was due to be unveiled at Toumba, was a great atmosphere, over 10,000 people rocked up. I made the trip away to Veria for my first game, got into the stadium early to get a good seat that sat central, didn't take long before people started filling the seats and before I knew it I was at the centre of G4. It was a great experience, lucky I knew most of the chants, and learned a couple more throughout the game because you have the 'lead-hooligans' turning around and abusing people who they see aren't chanting, and are told to go sit with the yeroi.

I stayed long enough to attend another two games, both at home to AEK (2-1 win) and Olympiakos (0-2 loss), big games, amazing atmosphere. My only regret was not getting tickets to PAOK v Dortmund (1-1), I had to watch that one from the kafenio.

Last edited:
Awesome! Is there a AEK Melbourne fan club?
This is one of their latest facebook posts "
Η ORIGINAL Μελβούρνης απέκτησε στέγη

Στην αγαπημένη μας Μελβούρνη εδώ και αρκετούς μήνες τα αδέρφια μας απόκτησαν επιτέλους την δική τους στέγη και ένα όνειρο πολλών ετών έγινε πραγματικότητα !
Μετά το Dickens και το Arkadians , η καρδία της Original 21 και της ΑΕΚ στην Μελβούρνη χτυπάει στην Raglan Street, North Melbourne .

Το club στεγάστηκε και περιμένει τους πολλούς Ενωσίτες της Μελβούρνης να το αγκαλιάσουν και να συσπειρωθούν κοντά του.
Σήμερα τα παιδιά κόβουν την πίτα τους στο καθιρωμένο OM21 AUSTRALIA DAY BBQ στο Fawkner Park (South Yarra)
Τους στέλνουμε την αγάπη μας και τους ευχόμαστε η σημαία της ΑΕΚ να κυματίζει πάντα ψηλά στην Μελβούρνη και η φλόγα της Original 21 που άναψε το 2002 να μην σβήσει ποτέ "

That experience sounds awesome Prince St !
I remember hearing Wellington chose the phoenix to have an emblem that looked as close to AEK's dikefalo as possible, explains their colours as well. Their first owner was Greek born, Kiwi Terry Serepisos who I suspect would've been an AEK fan.
Would not be surprised, it all sounds plausible haha.
My AEK-supporting pappou was paying me out about following the Phoenix instead of United. My defence was "They're like AEK!" :D
Where about's are you guys from in Greece?
Rhodes, Kalamata, Evvoia and Chalkidiki. So, from all over haha.
All grandparents met in Australia :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with our group, I've read that Liberec could be a tricky one though. Olympiakos are set for a busy week in the transfer market, they want to see a lot of players gone after their European performances. AEK have officially announced Lescott, Christopher Samba is in Athens to sign for PAO.

As for where I'm from, I'm Pontian on both sides, one side of the family all live in Florina and the other in Edessa.

Happy with our group, I've read that Liberec could be a tricky one though. Olympiakos are set for a busy week in the transfer market, they want to see a lot of players gone after their European performances. AEK have officially announced Lescott, Christopher Samba is in Athens to sign for PAO.

As for where I'm from, I'm Pontian on both sides, one side of the family all live in Florina and the other in Edessa.
You born here mate?

1.jpg

(God I love the Greek language) Panionios just signed Ntavint Engkogk! This pleases my Liverpool-supporting self! :D

(David N'Gog..)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back