Analysis The Brown Shoots Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So what are the genuine sprouts? I think it needs to be restricted to having played seniors this year. For me it would be :

Byrne
Weitering
Sumner
Plowman

+ older types Casboult and Wright.
Sorry I'm not sold on Kerridge's ball use.

Seems weird to say, but at his age and games played, you'd think Crippa would feature in these same discussions, but being the young freak he is he's already so "established". And on one leg he's still dominating clearance and contested possession numbers. I mention it for no other reason other than it shows how high he's set his bar already.

Byrne is a big one. Has an absolutely fantastic combination of traits that holds him in very good stead for the future and with less than 10 AFL games, he already looks like he belongs.

Sumner might have a couple areas to polish up on, but considering his time out of the game, damn he's showing a lot already.

Back in 2005 (Clarkson's first year at Hawthorn) they won 5 games for the season with an arguably more talented listed than our current one.
One more win this season and we're on par, but of course it's all about gradual improvement after this year. This year is certainly a great launch pad and we have already built what looks like a very good defensive system. The excitement will really start once Curnow, McKay and Silvagni join Weitering entrenched in the first 22.

1361323152283.jpg

I reckon he possibly played his best game for us. Was so composed and backed himself in every time, even when taking on a few players with ball in hand.

Reckon he's been watching some Dustin Martin footage - don't think Geelong stuck a tackle on him all day, he just tucked the ball in, gave 'em the stiff arm, and went on his merry way.

Bloke's copped some criticism over the years, but he does just about any job asked of him - forward, back, midfield, tagging - not our most talented, but probably one of our most versatile players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much a green shoot as a germinating seed, but check out Jack Silvagni's three goals in the VFL - if you haven't already.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/video/2016-05-24/silvagnis-hattrick-vfl-round-7

He moves with the Silvagni poise and can sure kick a goal! A 60 metre kick from inside the square, snaps truly from 40 out and bends one in from the boundary. He can do it all!
Another feel-good story in a feel-good week. :)

Halfway through the season and we have 6 wins more than last seasons minor premiers. Very green shoots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back