Solved The Greenough Family Axe Murders WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The details of the murder and cime scene pictures of where Karen MacKenzie (age 31) and her three children Daniel (16), Amara (7), and Katrina (5) at their remote rural property in Greenough Western Australia, on 21 February 1993 were considered so gruesome the judge has it all under seal to this day.

On the day of the crime, Mitchell had spent the day getting high on a mix of cannabis, alcohol and amphetamines. The trouble began with the sound of a car arriving at the MacKenzie home. Daniel went out to see who it was and was confronted by Mitchell. Mitchell, wielding an axe killed Daniel and headed for the house, where he found MacKenzie asleep in the lounge room. After attacking her with the axe and killing her, he then raped her. Amara and Katrina were asleep in their bedrooms when Mitchell turned his attention to them

This case has been solved. The killer William Patrick Mitchell who attended their funeral prior to his arrest and 22 years old at the time was sentenced to life imprisonment pleading guilty to the murders, interfering with a corpse and sexual assault on a child. A non parole period of twenty years was set and which has been served. Mitchell has unsuccessfully applied for parole twice over six years and in September 2019 was eligible to apply again for a third time.

Karen's family is active each time he applies, in attempting to ensure he stays behind bars.

Throw Away The Keys

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No motive apparently, no excuse but Karen possibly having rejected his advances a couple of weeks prior. He just decided to wipe an entire family out with an axe.

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
details of the sexual assault and murder of the children have been sealed due to what happened, which was so shocking it affected the attending detectives. i recall watching a documentary about this murder, and one of the original detectives was interviewed. he had children at the time the same age as the victims, and was still mentally scarred years later.

Faithful Hawk

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2005
Perth WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
East Freo
details of the sexual assault and murder of the children have been sealed due to what happened, which was so shocking it affected the attending detectives. i recall watching a documentary about this murder, and one of the original detectives was interviewed. he had children at the time the same age as the victims, and was still mentally scarred years later.
He was actually my basketball coach when I was a lot younger growing up in Gero and was always very emotional whenever the topic came up. Would never give out any details about what they found that night said we were better off not knowing.

Willow weeps

All Australian
Dec 21, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
My old tutor was the head journo on this case & he was also deeply affected by what he saw. He never gave details either & all journos on the scene also had counselling. He's never getting out alive thanks to the Bernie's victim who survived & campaigned for murderers like him & Bernie to not be let back out & the emotional turmoil the victim's families suffer every time these murderers are up for a parole hearing

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My old tutor was the head journo on this case & he was also deeply affected by what he saw. He never gave details either & all journos on the scene also had counselling. He's never getting out alive thanks to the Bernie's victim who survived & campaigned for murderers like him & Bernie to not be let back out & the emotional turmoil the victim's families suffer every time these murderers are up for a parole hearing
Some crimes are so brutal with such a devastating impact, its hard to accept they could be given another chance to perhaps do it again.

zedx

All Australian
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not long after these horrible murders, I was travelling to visit my brother in Geraldton, my car broke down not to far from where this happened, no mobile so had to walk to a small house to ask to use their phone. It was just myself and my small daughter and I was so scared, I had never been here before so didn't know the area but knew i was in Greenough from the road signage and so was praying to God that the house I was going to for help was not THE house as there where not many houses in this area. When I knocked on the door of the house the people inside were so scared they wouldn't open the door, but eventually 'threw' their phone out to me to call my brother. When i put the phone back at the foot of their locked door they told me to lock myself in the car till my brother came and not to open it for anyone! When my brother arrived he pointed up the road to a drive way and thats when I realised how close I was to their house. Absolutely hair raising!!

kergulen

Premium Platinum
Mar 9, 2011
Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you sexually assault or murder a child, you should never be let out. Paedophiles are incapable of truly reforming or stopping.

The whole issue is also muddied by the average person's confusion about what paedophilia is.

I am an adult who writes about crimes toward children but i do not have a sexual interest in them.

Remove this Banner Ad