Solved The Greenough Family Axe Murders WA

Remove this Banner Ad

cactuscall

michaelangelo is a party dude
Jul 26, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Casefile just covered this crime and there was one thing that kept throwing me off. The podcast kept talking about Amara being sexually assaulted as if it was confirmed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but officially that's still rumour right? I know in this case it's a rumour that's pretty much considered fact but because of the suppression orders that still falls under speculation. Especially weird when they specifically talked about the suppression orders yet kept talking about what happened to Amara which is officially suppressed so the only way they could know about that is if they're treating rumours as fact
Haven't got around to that episode yet, I'll have to soon. When I've listened to a Casefile episode I've seen covered on a true crime show(or multiple ones) before, Casefile almost always gives far more insight and detail into the story.

The Belanglo episodes were incredible, I thought I knew all there was to know about it and had put it off for a while for that reason.😯

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
Haven't got around to that episode yet, I'll have to soon. When I've listened to a Casefile episode I've seen covered on a true crime show(or multiple ones) before, Casefile almost always gives far more insight and detail into the story.

The Belanglo episodes were incredible, I thought I knew all there was to know about it and had put it off for a while for that reason.😯

I was somewhat disappointed by it, it was more or less a copy of the Crime Investigation Australia episode, with a bit more after the sentence that's happened in the last 14 years.

Belushi Brassiere

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2011
Albury-Wodonga, Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
Danny Is the least remembered. As Karen’s sister said, he left Queensland in December and by February, he was dead. I think it is because he was a boy and also from some he gets blamed for the deaths of Karen and the girls, even though he didn’t know what was about to happen, had no time to react, and was a teenage boy versus a grown axe wielding homicidal maniac.

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was somewhat disappointed by it, it was more or less a copy of the Crime Investigation Australia episode, with a bit more after the sentence that's happened in the last 14 years.

I found that too. In places it was word for word the CIA episode script and, in some cases, quite literally describing the CIA re-enactments. Casefile did quite a few episodes in that style early on and it kind of feels like an early Casefile episode. It wasn't bad but it didn't really provide much new information beyond what you already know if you've seen CIA

Dec 15, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I was 11 at the time, still to this day whenever I hear or think of the Greenough murders the first thing that comes into my mind is an outdoor swing set, its the thing I seem to remember from the various news stations and perhaps newspaper from back at that time. Whether my memory is correct or not I can't be certain, but thats just what I seem to always recall.

I was reading the Wikipedia and noticed a disturbing (previously unreleased) detail under the “Crime” section.
The citation link no longer works so I don’t know if it’s legit.

It might be because I'd seen that information somewhere else before. Of course that doesn't mean what I saw was absolutely without doubt, true.

Butters and Pepper

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hadn't actually heard of this case before, the sentence given makes the whole thing even more horrific.

Reminded me of this case that I saw a documentary on a few months ago - was a different jurisdiction and 15 years earlier but at least the sentence was compatible with community expectations.

maskmcgee

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2017
The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
Another detail I think is suppressed, look at the house, does it really look like it has 4 bedrooms? I'd think not, and that Amara and Katrina shared a room, and one probably witnessed the murder of the other.

I doubt the size of the house is suppressed, especially as it still exists TODAY and public property records are available.
thoughts, Kurve ?

I don't think that would be suppressed, the actual address I'm not even sure about but given people might live there it's probably not cool to post what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SquiffyRae

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still can't believe anyone would want to live in that house.

I'm not a big believer in spirits or anything but I think it would feel incredibly unsettling to be in certain rooms of the house knowing what had happened there. I don't think even extensive renovations would do it. It'd still be the place a family tragically lost their lives.

I remember a few months back I read an extensive write-up of Snowtown which included addresses and managed to find photos of the Burdekin Ave house where many of the later murders took place. Looked like the new owners had the bathroom where victims were killed completely re-done but I still wouldn't feel comfortable being in that room even if nothing in the room was there when the murders happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Back