The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Get them to be the 2nd major party ahead of LNP. What would sky do then? Cheerlead for ALP?
I would love to see an Australia with (say) a Labor government and a Greens opposition (or vice versa).

If Labor gets a slim majority as expected, could this be the last federal majority government ever?

The Greens also want 1 million public houses built that people can either buy for 300k or rent for 25% of their income. The ALP want to build 10,000 houses to assist the 400,000 people who are on the public housing waiting list.

There is remarkable technology out there these days 😉

Gone are the days 20 years ago of having a radio in my locker with a remote microphone and cords hanging off to listen to the cricket in class! Now I can stream it direct with no one the wiser!!!
Seems you've been caught out with your lying, Edward. AGAIN! What is it with you rightists and lying?

amazing that nobody talks about the fact that the greens campaigned on raising welfare and adding mental health and dental to medicare

so many people are certain that isn't a vote winner because the ALP refused to do it
The Greens can campaign on it because the media only care about the Coalition and Labor

The media couldn't give a s**t about the Greens policies

If Labor campaigned on on those issues they would have been eviscerated

You're still so mad

It's weird
its the excuse for anything labor doesn't do

its all the media's fault, never Labors

they must be the most spineless bunch of campaigners around

You still have no idea what you're talking about

Labor won by playing small target and you're still mad the Greens gained 3 seats

Get a grip
Lol you're still suggesting that the reason Labor aren't supporting welfare increases is the media and not the fact that labor don't support welfare increases

like you couldn't handle the idea that the greens had a vote winning policy that labor didn't and had to defend labor in a thread about the greens

like I hope Labor raise welfare but this idea that they can't talk about doing or they'd lose the election, yet the greens talked about it and gained 3 seats.....

I respect you a lot Gralin, you're obviously a smart person

Yes, I believe if Labor went to the election with welfare policies it would have hurt their chances

Yes, I believe the Greens can afford to introduce these policies because there will be never be any scrutiny on them as Australia is mostly a two party system

Thankfully, things are changing after this election with the rise of the Teal independents and the rise of the Greens

I can say I voted Greens and support them but you wouldn't believe me. I'm just a realist.

I respect you a lot Gralin, you're obviously a smart person

Yes, I believe if Labor went to the election with welfare policies it would have hurt their chances

Yes, I believe the Greens can afford to introduce these policies because there will be never be any scrutiny on them as Australia is mostly a two party system

Thankfully, things are changing after this election with the rise of the Teal independents and the rise of the Greens

I can say I voted Greens and support them but you wouldn't believe me. I'm just a realist.
I believe you voted for them I just don't get the need people have to defend Labor via blaming the media

Greens do get coverage in the media, they don't get treated like the third largest party in the country though

They do get treated as the extreme left of politics, the difference is they seem to have worked out how to deal with the current media landscape and still have their policies

Labor are apparently the only party in politics that cannot do this because the media will turn the voters against them, apart from this ignoring the sections of the media that are pro labor it also just means there is no actual scrutiny of labor

its all brushed away as being the media stopping them from saying or doing anything, s**t even their actual voting record is blamed on the media

like its getting really ******* old, they've won government now though so lets see what happens over the next 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do get treated as the extreme left of politics, the difference is they seem to have worked out how to deal with the current media landscape and still have their policies

By "deal" you mean they've accepted that they are unlikely to ever win government and therefore don't need to appeal to a broader audience?

Look, they've done fantastically well this election and may even use it as a launching pad for taking things further. Maybe one day they'll even be a legitimate chance at winning government. But in the latest election if Labor were as left-leaning in their policies as the Greens, they almost certainly wouldn't have won. Criticising them for making compromises in order to win seems... counterproductive.

Even for a hardcore Greens supporter.

Because if the Coalition had won, the Greens would have got NOTHING despite their results. With Labor in government (possibly even a minority government) they have a chance of implementing their priorities... and they didn't have to water down their policies in order to get elected. They have figuratively got their cake and got to eat it.

By "deal" you mean they've accepted that they are unlikely to ever win government and therefore don't need to appeal to a broader audience?
Tell me, do you think they just won three seats by focusing on one particular demographic, or by appealing to a broader audience?

Look, they've done fantastically well this election and may even use it as a launching pad for taking things further. Maybe one day they'll even be a legitimate chance at winning government. But in the latest election if Labor were as left-leaning in their policies as the Greens, they almost certainly wouldn't have won. Criticising them for making compromises in order to win seems... counterproductive.
There's a difference between compromising and showing an almost total lack of ambition. Supporting tax cuts for the rich while also rejecting an increase to welfare payments is not what I expect out of a centre-left party (but neither did I expect continuing to suppress the right to strike from a party ostensibly about supporting workers, and yet that made it into Rudd's Fair Work Act).

Because if the Coalition had won, the Greens would have got NOTHING despite their results. With Labor in government (possibly even a minority government) they have a chance of implementing their priorities... and they didn't have to water down their policies in order to get elected. They have figuratively got their cake and got to eat it.
I agree with this. In fact, the gain for the Greens at this election was possible because Labor ceded so much ground to the Greens (and Teals) on climate change, as well as many other issues people care about, like house price affordability, rental affordability and Medicare expansion.

people were saying before this election that the greens were stuck on 10% of the vote and going backwards, that they'd have a lower vote count and less success, they've gone from 1 seat to 4 it looks like in the house and could be going from 9 to 12 in the senate

Look, they've done fantastically well this election and may even use it as a launching pad for taking things further. Maybe one day they'll even be a legitimate chance at winning government.
they currently get more of the vote than the Nats, they could be part of a progressive coalition and form government, the issue currently is Labor isn't willing to compromise the way libs are to form government

but yes they've done great and it shows that there is more appetite for their policies

But in the latest election if Labor were as left-leaning in their policies as the Greens, they almost certainly wouldn't have won. Criticising them for making compromises in order to win seems... counterproductive.
the thing really is there is no reason after the last few years dental and mental health on medicare should be dangerous policy
same with raising welfare, a lot more people have seen the problems with the system as is, it was pretty much the perfect time for this policy push

Even for a hardcore Greens supporter.
I'm not, they're just the closest to a viable left party available currently

Because if the Coalition had won, the Greens would have got NOTHING despite their results.
the vote shows that people didn't want the coalition to continue, but also shows they weren't generally impressed with the ALP campaign

all we've got in most seats is that people would rather try Albo than continue with Morrison, it's not an endorsement for their campaign

I agree that theoretically greens will have more chance to influence legislation with Labor in government, its why they suggested preferencing labor ahead of the coalition

With Labor in government (possibly even a minority government) they have a chance of implementing their priorities... and they didn't have to water down their policies in order to get elected. They have figuratively got their cake and got to eat it.
you seem to be pissy about this a little, maybe I'm reading it wrong

they aren't riding labors coat tails to success, labor has moved away from the progressive vote hard this election, most of the protest vote against the coalition from their base went to independents because it doesn't matter how close alp policies match the coalition its still not going to win over die hards

Right. So what specifically did they say that was pro-union? And how can you apply the experience you had to other degrees at the same university, let alone speak for what happens at other universities?
its interesting how many people are anti union

like workers rights are bad or something

By the way, the Greens are up to three seats in Brisbane. Sydney, Melbourne, lift your game!

Terrific article.

The Greens take the seat of Brisbane

The city of Brisbane is almost totally Green now.....The Greenslide
And there’s no disputing they are now a force in Australian politics.

And their opponents realise it. Just look at the way the tone of this thread has changed from the early days.

you seem to be pissy about this a little, maybe I'm reading it wrong

Not at all. I'm very happy to see the Greens succeed. I don't always agree with their policies, but I find the party is generally very principled and they stick to their guns -- I admire that. And I like that their platform is almost always visionary and transformative. They do the things the major parties should be doing.

But I'm also realistic that the fact that they can afford to be more dogmatic when it comes to policies because they aren't trying to appeal to mainstream voters and they aren't realistically going to form government anytime soon. I'm not going to be critical of Labor for doing that. There is a place for both parties in our political system.

IMHO, the problem we have at the moment is that both the major parties try to be all encompassing to please everyone and end up pleasing no-one. Seeing the left coalesce into the Greens representing more far-left ideology and Labor representing more centre-left ideology allows them both to be more focused, and gives voters more genuine choices. It's the media that are calling out Labor's declining primary vote as some kind of calamity. It isn't.

By the same token, I don't mind seeing the Coalition schism into centre-right and far-right parties. The hard right exists whether we like it or not. Allowing them to "hide" under the banner of a centre-left party doesn't make them disappear. I'd prefer that either the Liberals tack right and drop the charade of being centrist... or the hard-right elements leave, form their own party or go to One Nation. I want voters to be very clear about who they are voting for.

And there’s no disputing they are now a force in Australian politics.

And their opponents realise it. Just look at the way the tone of this thread has changed from the early days.
I can imagine the Libs becoming so marginalised on the floor when it comes to issues like climate change and others that their media backers start running the weak opposition is bad for the country line.

There's a difference between compromising and showing an almost total lack of ambition. Supporting tax cuts for the rich while also rejecting an increase to welfare payments is not what I expect out of a centre-left party (but neither did I expect continuing to suppress the right to strike from a party ostensibly about supporting workers, and yet that made it into Rudd's Fair Work Act).

I'm not going to defend Labor's policy platform -- it's disappointingly mediocre. The tax cuts in particular are a complete abomination. However, if they hadn't supported them, they would have been hammered repeatedly about "raising" taxes. There needs to be a genuine policy discussion about tax reform, but sadly, the way the media works, the election period doesn't seem to be the right place (even though, logically it should). The media are more interested in snapshots of Morrison visiting factories and shopping centres, and talking about Albanese's new glasses and weight loss than any kind of substantive debate about policies.

I can only hope that Labor will pursue a more ambitious agenda if/when they build political capital. It's much, much easier to direct the narrative when you are already in office than when you are in opposition. The Liberals learned that with GST -- John Hewson was a disaster pushing for a GST from the opposition, whereas John Howard was able to do it once he was already in government.

I think/hope Albanese has more ambition than we've currently seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back