The Greens

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
That's a lot of words trying to call me a racist campaigner for wanting a better flag design when literally the other one you linked to, I liked...

If I am reading too much into it, I'll apologise but gee the tone in which that came across was not good
I wasn't implying that in any way whatsoever.
I was referring to parliamentarians who try and stop any progress.
Indigenous politicians Warren Mundine Jacinta Price and also Labor MP Marion Scrymgour are using this phrase to prevent change and it's straight out of skynews.
Lidia Thorpe represents what the overwhelming majority of Indigenous people think.
I mean if they did a survey and asked Indigenous people do they want a new flag and to get rid of the union jack it would be at 90% yes imo.

I wasn't implying that in any way whatsoever.
I'm sorry for interpreting your post incorrectly.

I was referring to parliamentarians who try and stop any progress.
Indigenous politicians Warren Mundine Jacinta Price and also Labor MP Marion Scrymgour are using this phrase to prevent change and it's straight out of skynews.
Lidia Thorpe represents what the overwhelming majority of Indigenous people think.
I mean if they did a survey and asked Indigenous people do they want a new flag and to get rid of the union jack it would be at 90% yes imo.
I don't doubt Indigenous people want the Union Jack removed. I'd be shocked. I think swapping one flag symbol for another isn't worth it and an entire new flag should be adopted which everyone can get behind, regardless of Australian heritage

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm sorry for interpreting your post incorrectly.

I don't doubt Indigenous people want the Union Jack removed. I'd be shocked. I think swapping one flag symbol for another isn't worth it and an entire new flag should be adopted which everyone can get behind, regardless of Australian heritage
No worries, I thought it was close to being changed when Paul Keating wanted to but since then it has become a weapon from the right to wedge and Albo is too weak to take on the wedge imo.
It would obviously be better to get bi-partisan support and have a national competition to pick a flag but that's not possible in this right wing media climate.
It seems strange to me so called left politicians are now defending having the British flag in our flag.

No worries, I thought it was close to being changed when Paul Keating wanted to but since then it has become a weapon from the right to wedge and Albo is too weak to take on the wedge imo.
It would obviously be better to get bi-partisan support and have a national competition to pick a flag but that's not possible in this right wing media climate.
It seems strange to me so called left politicians are now defending having the British flag in our flag.
I think the change will happen when Australia eventually becomes a republic

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
bandt1.png

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
What's the point of winning an election if your policies are crap and you sell out your principles?

The point is winning an election, principles? Yeah just about all that enter politics have high ideals / principles - then have to tow the party line.

The Greens are noble in they're not in that group (that maybe in contention given the convenor vote though), yet they've only got 12% of the primary vote.

Go figure.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Bt_1EjmCQAAvD-X.jpg

How about this for a compromise?

I suspect however both Aboriginal and monarchist-type groups would be infuriated at this one - a compromise that pleases no one.

I like it, but the problem isn't the flag for Lidia Thorpe. She objects even to the parliamentary process but says she participates only as an infiltrator.

Jammer

All Australian
Jun 26, 2007
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I like it, but the problem isn't the flag for Lidia Thorpe. She objects even to the parliamentary process but says she participates only as an infiltrator.

So all the lnp corruption, scams, torture and culture wars over the past decade is fine…. but it’s Lidia Thorpe that is the real problem With our government?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good to see Linda Green get to have her say. ( Being published in The Age, I appreciate that makes her thoughts null and void for some of you ; )

"Help, I'm being cancelled!" she wails, in an op-ed in a national newspaper.

Gale just glosses over the reason why the election was annulled, because it was conducted improperly and candidates were effectively barred from public campaigning amongst the Greens membership.

She also wants to pretend her stunt in 2019 wasn't transphobic, when it contained the sort of gutter trash rhetoric that I've saved and posted earlier in this thread, and was co-authored with someone who has since been expelled from the party for being openly transphobic.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
So all the lnp corruption, scams, torture and culture wars over the past decade is fine…. but it’s Lidia Thorpe that is the real problem With our government?
I didn't say it was fine, or that she was the problem with our government Did you reply to the wrong post or something?

Good to see Linda Green get to have her say. ( Being published in The Age, I appreciate that makes her thoughts null and void for some of you ; )

Terf paper going to Terf.

The election is being held again but they will follow proper protocol

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham

This seems to be a pretty disgraceful episode for The Greens. Overturning a democratic election because some in power weren't happy with her politics. I still don't think she ever did anything wrong and explains it all clearly in the piece in The Age.

Some pretty authoritarian behaviour here which feeds into the perception of cultural fascism.

I was decried as “transphobic” because in 2019, I co-authored an internal discussion paper in response to a proposal published by other Greens members titled “Trans Exclusionary Rhetoric”, which sought to ban debate around issues of sex and gender.

I asked whether there were potential complexities about the rights of non-trans women – in sport, in intimate medical procedures, in domestic violence shelters, in hospital wards and prisons – and if so, how should the party address them. A political party that aspires to legislate must be mature enough to deal with such complexities.

I have never questioned the authenticity of transgender identities, nor the right of trans people to dignity or equality. As convenor I issued a statement reaffirming the Greens’ commitment to trans and gender diverse members. But I was not to be judged on my actions in the role. I was to be ousted due to alleged thought-crimes.

After four days of escalating attacks, Greens state parliamentary leader Samantha Ratnam used an administrative process to have the election overturned. The party’s internal tribunal set the election aside and ordered a fresh election. This decision was wrong, but I accepted it.

It seemed clear to me that this wasn’t about process, it was about politics. Ratnam said I should not run again.

I've preferenced the Greens first in every election I've voted in (to ensure they get the electoral funding if nothing else) but rubbish like this will make me rethink this in the future.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This seems to be a pretty disgraceful episode for The Greens. Overturning a democratic election because some in power weren't happy with her politics. I still don't think she ever did anything wrong and explains it all clearly in the piece in The Age.
It's been explained to you before that the election was conducted improperly, but you seem to want to ignore this.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It's been explained to you before that the election was conducted improperly, but you seem to want to ignore this.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, had someone else been elected Convenor would the election have been deemed null and void? If it was solely about proper process then the focus would be on the errors in process not the politics of the person who was elected.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Regardless of whether this is true or not, had someone else been elected Convenor would the election have been deemed null and void?
The Administrative Review Panel has to consider cases referred to it, using the Victorian Greens constitution. So if enough people had complained for it to be referred, I'm sure it would have been.

If it was solely about proper process then the focus would be on the errors in process not the politics of the person who was elected.
But that doesn't sell papers now, does it? The two issues are linked though, because had a full campaign period been implemented with adequate questioning available, Gale's history might have been more well-known and the vote might have gone very differently. As it is, less than a quarter of Victorian Greens members voted, because the election was held during crunch time of the federal election campaign. That itself is not a true democratic mandate, even leaving aside the slipshod way it was conducted.

When someone is citing the same research as Katherine Deves I think it's not too hard to work out where they actually stand on trans rights

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Because she's a transphobe who shouldn't even be in the party

I dispute that assertion.

The Administrative Review Panel has to consider cases referred to it, using the Victorian Greens constitution. So if enough people had complained for it to be referred, I'm sure it would have been.

But that doesn't sell papers now, does it? The two issues are linked though, because had a full campaign period been implemented with adequate questioning available, Gale's history might have been more well-known and the vote might have gone very differently. As it is, less than a quarter of Victorian Greens members voted, because the election was held during crunch time of the federal election campaign. That itself is not a true democratic mandate, even leaving aside the slipshod way it was conducted.

That is fair enough - it still doesn't explain why she is now being discouraged from running in the re-run election though.

I dispute that assertion.

That is fair enough - it still doesn't explain why she is now being discouraged from running in the re-run election though.
Why do you dispute the assertion she's a transphobe?

Back