The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

Borisdog

Club Legend
Jul 31, 2009
Townsville
AFL Club
West Coast
He's been doing it quietly for years. It's the media that decided to make a thing of it recently.

Because they finally got offended?

Or maybe because there were a few clicks in it?

Given the standard of Journalism worldwide at the moment I wouldn't think they've got a faintly independent thought process.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
He's been doing it quietly for years. It's the media that decided to make a thing of it recently.
I think you'll find, I could be wrong of course but I think you'll find that he did it immediately before the interview/conference was about to get started. It seemed to be a premeditated move.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
The f**k wit offended people from all electorates and from right across the political spectrum.

There was absolutely no reason for such a provocative act and it's this sort of stunt that will keep the Green's vote at around 10 to 12% max.

It was just pure political stupidity which is a shame because it greatly blunts the Greens message on the environment.
Didn't offend me. In one move, my admiration for him just increased. We need to piss flags off out of politics. Politics is about policy, not cheerleading.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
Didn't offend me. In one move, my admiration for him just increased. We need to piss flags off out of politics. Politics is about policy, not cheerleading.
Didn't offend me either but you and I aren't the complete representation of the electorate. It's just dumb politics.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
In HIS electorate, no.

In THE electorate, yes
I really don't think it matters except to the outraged snowflakes who would never vote for the greens anyway. A flag after all is just a symbol and symbols only really hold sway with the symbol-minded. /georgecarlin

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I really don't think it matters except to the outraged snowflakes who would never vote for the greens anyway. A flag after all is just a symbol and symbols only really hold sway with the symbol-minded. /georgecarlin
I reckon you maybe missing the point here.

For the Greens to bring more people on side, they have to be a lot more politically savvy than that. You can't go around offending the people whose vote you want. That doesn't mean you have to betray your principles, far from it, but this was such a minor thing that all he achieved in doing, was to give ammo to the right wing media who don't need much of an excuse to go hard at the Greens and it plays into the perception that the right/far right want to portray the Greens as, that is, that they are extremists and whether you or I like it, some of that s**t sticks!

People who will always vote Green and others like myself who find the symbolism spot on, we are not the ones he has to win over. The ones he needs to win over are those who are flirting with the idea of voting/supporting the Greens and of those, he has just succeeded in pushing a number away.

The majority of the Aboriginal movement is livid at Bandt for taking away the focus on a voice to Parliament and the other things that are critical for the advancement of Aboriginals and side tracking the conversation onto something that is completely marginal at best. If you don't believe me, ask those who have been working to get us to the stage where we can have a civilised discussion about an Aboriginal Voice To Parliament and how, by Bandt's stupid actions, the Uluru Statement From The Heart has been lost in another Morrison/Deves transgender scenario and you can bet your private parts, that the "mainstream" media and the racists will use Bandt's stupidity to bash Aboriginals again!

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
1. The Power is going off now due to Coal and Gas
2. Renewables are the cheapest form of Energy
3. Climate Change is the problem
4. I drink Cappuccino

This is fun, what else ya got

Ahhh yes climate change… so if we go to zero emissions tomorrow and stop coal and gas exports, how much will the temperature be lowered? how much will it cost the economy? Can you guarantee floods and fires will stop or ease?
Also the electorates that love to support these things they should be where the wind turbines should be placed first.. agreed?? Im sure Bandt would love wind turbines down Collins Street and through the botanic gardens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Ahhh yes climate change… so if we go to zero emissions tomorrow and stop coal and gas exports, how much will the temperature be lowered? how much will it cost the economy? Can you guarantee floods and fires will stop or ease?
Also the electorates that love to support these things they should be where the wind turbines should be placed first.. agreed?? Im sure Bandt would love wind turbines down Collins Street and through the botanic gardens.
Get out of the way.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Didn't offend me either but you and I aren't the complete representation of the electorate. It's just dumb politics.
I think you are missing two things:
1. He genuinely believes the flag is unrepresentative, and has said so on many occasions
2. His constituency....they like what he did, and he is aiming to recruit more of that demographic (young voters, left wingers, indigenous, humanitarians etc)

I can tell you from within the Greens it has enhanced his standing

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I reckon you maybe missing the point here.

For the Greens to bring more people on side, they have to be a lot more politically savvy than that. You can't go around offending the people whose vote you want.

I really don't think it matters except to the outraged snowflakes who would never vote for the greens anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back