The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to wait and see what's in the bill before making a judgement. At this point I wish they hadn't voted for it, but I also understand why they did. Hoping for the best.
It appears they've passed a bill that won't even meet our paris agreements target.

Which is very far from their backed by science election promise.

Seems they've taken Labor's position from pre election of saying they oppose something then voting for it

The BasicsCard which has existed for longer is also run by Indue.

So Twiggy had been profiting of controlling people money in welfare for a decade.

The BasicsCard won't work anywhere you can buy smokes. Eg Coles and Woolworths. Meaning groceries tend to cost more

Labor introduced it as part of the NT Intervention and pretend it's not Indue this new legislation will expand its use.

The way this country treats its most vulnerable people never ceases to sicken me.

Paul Keating's attack on the Greens is disgusting imo.
Labor is not the party for the environment at all , look at the state of the country.He's still going on about 2009 .
He called Bob Brown a zealot for trying to save old growth forrest. He did nothing to save the barrier reef or stop our addiction to coal.
I agree with him on China but he's full of s**t on this one. He's just acting like another partisan w***er.
The 43% is a symbolic number that does nothing at all.

Labor is not the party for the environment at all , look at the state of the country.He's still going on about 2009 .
He called Bob Brown a zealot for trying to save old growth forrest. He did nothing to save the barrier reef or stop our addiction to coal.
I agree with him on China but he's full of s**t on this one. He's just acting like another partisan w***er.
PK is Labor, he will always be Labor

Neither a good thing or a bad thing, its a PK thing

Keating is the one who truly turned Labor into a neoliberal party. Of course he wants to defend his legacy as being a good thing.

PK is Labor, he will always be Labor

Neither a good thing or a bad thing, its a PK thing
No one in Labor listens to him on China , I think he's bagging the Greens to stay in the good books with them.
He can see the Labor vote leaking to the Greens every election. If Labor wants to stop that they need science based climate policy.

No one in Labor listens to him on China , I think he's bagging the Greens to stay in the good books with them.
He can see the Labor vote leaking to the Greens every election. If Labor wants to stop that they need science based climate policy.
Agreed, but Labor aren't a Climate Party

They get far too much money out of the Fossil Fuel donors to be serious about it.
Labor plays in the margins, attracts a few votes and still keeps the money....for them, "what's not to like"

Agreed, but Labor aren't a Climate Party

They get far too much money out of the Fossil Fuel donors to be serious about it.
Labor plays in the margins, attracts a few votes and still keeps the money....for them, "what's not to like"
That's right, their major donar is part of the coal lobby and you don't get pre-selected unless you suck up to them.
It's amazing that not one Labor MP ever says their climate policy is not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a lot of respect for Keating but he's talking utter horseschitte here.

No-one from the Greens doesn't acknowledge Labor's achievements with Medicare, etc.

No-one with half a brain would see some of Labor's economic policies as anything but neoliberalism. I mean, come on! Keating was the king of privatisation. If that isn't a hallmark of neolib, I don't know what it is. He needs to own it, not scurry away from it. Quite weird seeing such a fearless figure be so strangely reticent about his record.

And when is any Labor figure going to come out and admit the CPRS was nothing more than an insulting joke?

Not once have I heard a Labor person attempt to refute the Greens statement that Treasury's figures had the CPRS achieving zero emissions for the first 25 years.

Makes me suspect the Greens were absolutely correct. Labor tried to put one over the nation and they've never once admitted to it.

If anyone with the technical nous can pull apart the Greens' claim, I'd happily hear it, but until then, this only serves to confirm that Labor have always thought they can have action on climate change without taking action on climate change.

talk about polishing a turd
The laws of one parliament cannot bind a future parliament.

How on Earth are they claiming that they have done so? What does this "Dutton-proofing" involve, do you know?

I have a lot of respect for Keating but he's talking utter horseschitte here.

No-one from the Greens doesn't acknowledge Labor's achievements with Medicare, etc.

No-one with half a brain would see some of Labor's economic policies as anything but neoliberalism. I mean, come on! Keating was the king of privatisation. If that isn't a hallmark of neolib, I don't know what it is. He needs to own it, not scurry away from it. Quite weird seeing such a fearless figure be so strangely reticent about his record.

And when is any Labor figure going to come out and admit the CPRS was nothing more than an insulting joke?

Not once have I heard a Labor person attempt to refute the Greens statement that Treasury's figures had the CPRS achieving zero emissions for the first 25 years.

Makes me suspect the Greens were absolutely correct. Labor tried to put one over the nation and they've never once admitted to it.

If anyone with the technical nous can pull apart the Greens' claim, I'd happily hear it, but until then, this only serves to confirm that Labor have always thought they can have action on climate change without taking action on climate change.
Going back 13 years to bag Christine Milne who left parliament in tears as the climate legislation didn't get through because it was pitifully weak.
No one knew politics would take a lurch to the right and that Abbott would scare the electorate away from meaningful climate action due to power bills going up $20.

The laws of one parliament cannot bind a future parliament.

How on Earth are they claiming that they have done so? What does this "Dutton-proofing" involve, do you know?
yeah there's no way they can just write legislation that can't be changed by the next Government, they'll just write new legislation to change it

he's basically capitulated and is trying to act like he got some sort of win when Labor is getting basically exactly what they want.

The teals voting for this in the house have done the same thing

So their election promises about strong action on climate change didn't survive the first test, didn't even make it 3 months

greens won't be getting my top spot in the senate next federal election that's for sure, its clearly wasted if I want anything actually done

Feels very much like with the Libs move further right the ALP is going to mostly take the moderate conservative position and the greens are going to move right behind them

Libs are dragging the whole thing right, the overton window is still shifting

Labor is now the most openly conservative they've ever been and the greens are now looking very much like Labor did in opposition where they vocalise a position left of the Government but don't stand by it when push comes to shove

Remove this Banner Ad

Back