The Greens

Remove this Banner Ad

What Bandt said is akin to siblings fighting over a will within hours of a parent dying. Do you think what he said was appropriate?
Lol no it wasn't anything like that and I have no issue with it being said

A comment of homeopathic degree compared to the Royal whitewashing we’re currently being subjected to round the clock. Who gives a?
Who gives a? I’d say millions. But what would you care?

Who gives a? I’d say millions. But what would you care?
No, I meant, given the tsunami of hagiography spurting out of every media outlet on the topic of Jesus of Nazareth, sorry, 'er Maj, who gives a stuff if one lone politician in Australia puts the truth on the record, just in case anyone can take their dewy eyes from the screen for one minute?

Not quite true. The Chagos people who were deported were never the owners of those islands, they were French and then British. The Chagossians were either slaves taken to the island by the French ( a crime the French owe them compensation for) freed by the British after they took ownership from France or people who arrived later. I don't agree that they should have been deported but it is wrong to say the islands were stolen when the current owners are the correct ones.
Residency creates a sense of ownership, and the Chagossians were residents for over 180 years. Would you suggest African Americans have no claim of ownership to any part of the US given how long they've been there, also originally brought by a colonial power as slaves?

The Queen oversaw and in fact encouraged decolonisation (not always done well) on a scale never seen before.
Not enough. Too many crimes continued to be perpetrated by the government during her reign.

I didn’t take any homeless people in off the street tonight and give them the use my house for as long as they need it. Guess that means any comment I make on the homelessness crisis is a bit suss.
I'm not sure who this part was directed at, but it fits sherb complaining that Mehreen Faruqi dare say anything about racial injustice or colonialism while living and working in Australia.

I'm not sure who this part was directed at, but it fits sherb complaining that Mehreen Faruqi dare say anything about racial injustice or colonialism while living and working in Australia.
It was just a general point that none of us are flawless in our activism. I mostly agree with Gralin’s politics, but he/she is more than a bit my way or the highway.

It was just a general point that none of us are flawless in our activism. I mostly agree with Gralin’s politics, but he/she is more than a bit my way or the highway.
They have a point though. If someone only wants injustice pointed out in a particular manner that they deem sufficiently polite, do they really care about rectifying that injustice? This is the basis of why tone policing is a problem.

I've just come back to this thread to notice a number of posts about me without a poster once having the courtesy to tag me.

It doesn't surprise me with two of the posters - Gralin & Johnny Bananas - but SBD Gonzalez is a surprise.

If it's because you three don't know how to tag someone, I'm happy to assist. :)

They have a point though. If someone only wants injustice pointed out in a particular manner that they deem sufficiently polite, do they really care about rectifying that injustice? This is the basis of why tone policing is a problem.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Pauline Pantsdown has already told Faruqi to “piss off back to Pakistan” for her comments.

Bandt was told to leave the country by redneck Queensland Liberal Phillip Thompson (ex soldier who threatened to kill Muslims on FB once).

What is it with right wing sooks and not being able to handle the slightest bit of criticism?

In response here’s one of Australia’s best comics, Lewis Spears, and his Queen death set. You can tell he’s been prepping for it:

“None of his jokes ever fall dead. Can’t say the same about the Queen….”

I'm assuming you mean Pauline Hanson yeah?

I've just come back to this thread to notice a number of posts about me without a poster once having the courtesy to tag me.

It doesn't surprise me with two of the posters - Gralin & Johnny Bananas - but SBD Gonzalez is a surprise.

If it's because you three don't know how to tag someone, I'm happy to assist. :)
Sorry mate, figured you’d come across it pretty quick. No snub intended.

Mate i was just replying to a quote there was nothing intended by it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think this is appropriate...

I do, yes. We have to set our own course as a nation now. It's no longer in our best interests to cling on to the monarchy IMO.

Tact only plays into the hands of those that want nothing to change.
Tact is partly timing. I would have placed the Republican push tweet up against the coronation of Charles. That would be more appropriate time to discuss the opting out of the monarchy.

Oh get over yourself, you're not that important.

Tact is partly timing. I would have placed the Republican push tweet up against the coronation of Charles. That would be more appropriate time to discuss the opting out of the monarchy.
The usual suspects would have whinged about that too.

On their death, should we only refrain from telling the truth about 'good' people?

Should we also refrain from telling the truth about 'bad' people?

Who decides who is 'good' and who is 'bad'?
Exactly. Mikhail Gorbachev, another huge figure and arguably far more significant politically than the Queen, died only two weeks ago.

I vividly recall all the people saying that was not the time to discuss his legacy.

Not.

Trots are only one other example of left wing politics but yeah I think direct action is more effective that electoral politics
Well it can be, but for better or worse, we live in a representative multiparty democracy. So that direct action needs to translate into winning people's hearts and minds, because eventually they'll have the choice to vote for politicians who will preserve any gains won by the direct action, or politicians who will not only give them away, but make direct action harder to carry out, in the hopes of never having to deal with it again. It may not be most effective to concentrate on electoral politics only as a means to create change, but it can't be fully ignored either.

The protests in Chile from 2019 onwards ended up creating change, in that a process was started to rewrite the constitution in a way that responded to the demands of the protesters. But in a recent referendum, the public voted down the constitution that came out of that process, because they weren't convinced by all the ideals that went into it. So the direct action also has to find popular approval to make permanent gains.

Exactly. Mikhail Gorbachev, another huge figure and arguably far more significant politically than the Queen, died only two weeks ago.

I vividly recall all the people saying that was not the time to discuss his legacy.

Not.
No need for the facade, no divine right. The monarchy is faced with the difficult sell of Charles III as chosen by god in the next year and needs all the help it can get.

The usual suspects would have whinged about that too.
The usual suspects aren’t who you are trying to convince. It’s the regular Australian who doesn’t really think much about monarchies but ticks the vote to remain out of status quo. You want to convince them but going right after the death risks offending them, remember they aren’t particularly engaged so you don’t get many chances to influence them.
While discussing at the coronation would to me at least seem to be a more timely and natural discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back