The growth of Liam jones

What do you expect from jones this year?

• Mediocre - another 10 goal beating by buddy

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Below par - constantly spoils to opposition players

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average - wins some and loses some

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Above average - beats everyone but buddy and a few others

Votes: 65 61.3%
  • Elite - AA, top 5 b n f, 8-10 Brownlow votes, buddy held goalless

Votes: 24 22.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a dream, Bolts pushes Liam forward, after the bye, kicks 40 goals

Marking a few more above the head now vs the constant chest marks he flew for as a forward. Reckon he’d make a lot better forward now but the marking, spoils and kamikaze destroying of contests makes for a great converted defender.
Kudos Sir Liam.

Should be tough work for opposition forward entries this year... Jones, Marchbank and Weitering are gonna rack up a lot of intercepts between them and who knows how many spoils Jones might have to his name by the end of the year.

Apparently Josh Gibson hols the record for most spoils in a season with 191 in 2011 (AFL has been recording this stat since 2002). He also holds the record for 'spoil gaining possession' with 79 in the same year. If Jones plays 22 games he needs to sit on an average of 8.7 of above to break it... he had 14 the other night so surely that's doable.

The best bit about it - at least for me - is that he is so eye-catching when he does something, whether it be marking the ball or spoiling it, that it distracts from how good the rest of the backline is beside him.

I'd love it, genuinely, if an opposition coach tried to drag him away from the backline - ala what Malthouse did with Cloke to pull Scarlett to the wing - only to find Weitering, Plow and Marshbank actually go alright at what Liam was doing by himself, while Liam jumps into the ruck and gets 3 votes.

Complements us well because he is tall and quick where as our other tall defenders aren't overly quick. Think he's going to be suited to the oppositions best quicker tall target where Weitering may be taking the biggest bodied forward.

Like his aggression and tendency to go for marks. He's a good kick and reads it well in the air. Hopefully his decision making lifts a little, perhaps playing the percentages a little more but still maintaining his will to mark and take the game on.

defending against some of the better forwards like Franklin and Kennedy will be good challenges for him. He may have to learn a more defensive approach against these guys and we may have to setup better to support him in this situation.

Good part of our intercepting marking backline.

Poor bloke has been played out of position for 26 years.
Maybe not that long. I've heard he played in defence as a junior. It's the Dogs that tried to make him a forward.

Best resurrection since McKernan in 2002, and that was the best since Lazarus.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a dream, Bolts pushes Liam forward, after the bye, kicks 40 goals

I know a lot of people believe it is about him going to defence but the Best game I saw him play last year was Ruck/Fwd. He was awesome all over the ground. I think the penny dropped and his confidence grew and grew. I'd love to see him have a crack as a second ruck/fwd.

PS Dogs gave him a good run as a defender and he was awful

I know a lot of people believe it is about him going to defence but the Best game I saw him play last year was Ruck/Fwd. He was awesome all over the ground. I think the penny dropped and his confidence grew and grew. I'd love to see him have a crack as a second ruck/fwd.

PS Dogs gave him a good run as a defender and he was awful
You must have missed the game he pantsed Josh Bruce.

Unbelievable game at fb. Most dominant game I have seen from kpd ( understand it was only in the 2s)

It was then that I thought this is so crazy it might just work

Back