The growth of Liam jones

What do you expect from jones this year?

• Mediocre - another 10 goal beating by buddy

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Below par - constantly spoils to opposition players

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average - wins some and loses some

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Above average - beats everyone but buddy and a few others

Votes: 65 61.3%
  • Elite - AA, top 5 b n f, 8-10 Brownlow votes, buddy held goalless

Votes: 24 22.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ending my self imposed exile a couple of weeks early to share that my 7 year old boy was out in the yard tonight pretending to be Liam Jones.

This time last year...odds?

Who'd have thunk it. Shows that dreams can be made. At 26 he has miles left to establish himself and put the doubters to bed.

Liam Jones will be the example given to motivate players to reinvent their game when they are down on form, devoid of confidence and are at the back of the queue in breaking into the senior side.

He was crucified by the supporters (me included) and was the first one to be named when discussions were had about delisting players.

But he worked on his game, slaved away in the twos to piece together some solid, consistent form and when he got his chance last year, he embraced the opportunity and cemented his role.

Well fu**ing done, Liam Jones. Not only for the greet, breakout year last year, but for demonstrating in the two JLT games that it wasn't a fluke.

I would change my vote, but already voted Elite - AA before the season started.

Nothing has changed my mind, absolute freak down back.

Now that his confidence is up and rising could he pinch hit up forward?

His growth needs to be pulled back!

He either needs to be dropped or he needs to go back to playing 1-1, he doesnt have the smarts to play a zone defender. He's being caught out far to much, its embarrassing. Let Marchy, Weiters, Simmo zone and intercept, whoever's idea it was to let jones does it needs to reasses.

Jones is the player he always was.

Was found out after 4 weeks last year as an athletic, attacking defender whose positioning is poor. Conceded heaps of goals and our defence was worse with him there, but no-one would listen at the time. I argued last year he was a better forward (but still mediocre) and worse defender (but still mediocre) than he got credit for.

Now I feel the pendulum is going to swing the other way -from hero to whipping boy. He's still getting exploited, giving up heaps of goals. However, he's athletic, attacks the game, keeps his heap and does some inspirational and noticeable things.

I've always thought he was there to take hits until Weitering/Marchbank/Plowman were able to do it. He can have 6 goals kicked on him and still keep his head in the game. Rowe would be better, ASOS another option to do the same job, if they can get themselves fit.

Let's just not over-react - we annointed him our new Lord and Saviour too early, lets try to keep our heads please...

Jones is the player he always was.

Was found out after 4 weeks last year as an athletic, attacking defender whose positioning is poor. Conceded heaps of goals and our defence was worse with him there, but no-one would listen at the time. I argued last year he was a better forward (but still mediocre) and worse defender (but still mediocre) than he got credit for.

Now I feel the pendulum is going to swing the other way -from hero to whipping boy. He's still getting exploited, giving up heaps of goals. However, he's athletic, attacks the game, keeps his heap and does some inspirational and noticeable things.

I've always thought he was there to take hits until Weitering/Marchbank/Plowman were able to do it. He can have 6 goals kicked on him and still keep his head in the game. Rowe would be better, ASOS another option to do the same job, if they can get themselves fit.

Let's just not over-react - we annointed him our new Lord and Saviour too early, lets try to keep our heads please...
:thumbsu:

Jones was a victim, at times tonight, of other players sliding off their opponent, leaving him torn between staying close to his own opponent or going to another unmarked Collingwood player. This was exacerbated at times by the lack of pressure on Collingwood players bringing the ball inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones was a victim, at times tonight, of other players sliding off their opponent, leaving him torn between staying close to his own opponent or going to another unmarked Collingwood player. This was exacerbated at times by the lack of pressure on Collingwood players bringing the ball inside 50.

Nope. Last 2 weeks I have watched him live give his opponents way too much room. It really is ill disciplined stuff and not AFL standard. Others then try and cover for him and the defence falls apart. Pays absolutely no respect to his opponent and plays as an individual. Conceded more than 40 goals in around 8 games. Not good enough and attitude can't be tolerated

He needs to pull back on leaving his man. He’s gotten too confident, possibly to the point of arrogance. Seems to leave his man far too often, too early and give them far too much space. Last year when he left his man, he still allowed himself time and space to get back and affect the contest. He was also pretty good 1 on 1.

Nope. Last 2 weeks I have watched him live give his opponents way too much room. It really is ill disciplined stuff and not AFL standard. Others then try and cover for him and the defence falls apart. Pays absolutely no respect to his opponent and plays as an individual. Conceded more than 40 goals in around 8 games. Not good enough and attitude can't be tolerated

Surely the coaching staff can see this

He has been poor but he does not play for himself/selfishly. I think he has one trick which is to acclerate and spoil so he gives his man a metre or two. problem is if they jump early like sidebottom tonight he cant do anything

He has been poor but he does not play for himself/selfishly. I think he has one trick which is to acclerate and spoil so he gives his man a metre or two. problem is if they jump early like sidebottom tonight he cant do anything

Well he's not playing team football. Never seen a key defender give his opponent so much space in an AFL game. Teammates calling for him to get back but doesn't listen

I was excited by his improvement but last two weeks can't be tolerated from a "senior" player

Let's not forget that he has been a defender for less than a season... he's still learning.

He has been spoken about in the same converations as Rance. Rance has been a defender for 10 years... Let's take a breath.

He does a lot of things well. He's not the difference between winning and losing games.

Liam jones our only elite player out there tomorrow - intercepts (3.3 - elite), Spoils (7.8 - elite) and 1%ers (8.8 - elite). The only statistic they don’t use in champion data - goals against. Wright believes we need Liam jones playing the game he’s playing plus he’s been doing it that may since he walked into the club.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/19/blues-need-jones-at-his-best-says-wright/

Going to be hard playing defence in a weak side that is struggling to apply pressure and force tho opposition to go wide. Jones needs to play old fashion one on one. Play from behind and force the forward wide and up the ground. Not writing Jones off just yet, a new challenge for him is here.

For mine Jones lacks defensive nous, footy smarts and an understanding of situations. If he makes it he will be one of those players who are 100% taught and 0% natural instinct/smarts. That doesn't mean he won't be successful but it does mean he will take the long route to get there.

Back