Universal Love The Guernseys of Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I played Ammos in the 80s
Did this ever apply to Collingwood when they inverted their guernsey? That would have made it a recent change.
Not really, because the intent of the change was to avoid clashes with teams like North and Geelong, who were also mostly White.
What wasn't foreseen was the clash with Carlton and Port whose mostly dark jumpers now clashed with Collingwood.
StKilda at the time of the change had the Red Crusader jumper.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Not really, because the intent of the change was to avoid clashes with teams like North and Geelong, who were also mostly White.
What wasn't foreseen was the clash with Carlton and Port whose mostly dark jumpers now clashed with Collingwood.
StKilda at the time of the change had the Red Crusader jumper.

So had that policy been enforced correctly, Collingwood should have been made to wear a clash against Port?

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
So had that policy been enforced correctly, Collingwood should have been made to wear a clash against Port?
Yes, But by then the AFL were making up policy on the spot to suit themselves.

Did you guys originally have like make ya or blue or pink or something like that? I hate Collingwood but the black and white in our league will always be Collingwood sorry to say that and that’s the sad truth and ur just gonna have to accept that

wds.gif

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If Eddie is mad about us playing in the PB's, imagine when we start pushing for playing with those Collingwood-like guernseys! :drunk:
I understand the Collingwood style guernseys are actual Collingwood guernseys donated to us by Collingwood when we were struggling financially after the second world war.

Their club must have been run by more decent people back then than the current campaigner.

Winganeen

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Best one outside Prison Bars for me.

And like Palermo sums up our AFL experience so well:
Port-1877.gif

"In a personal letter Airoldi wrote on 2 February 1905 to English club councillor Joseph Whitaker, he defined pink and black poetically as "colours of the sad and the sweet", a choice he amusingly asserted to be suited for a team characterised by "results as up and down as a Swiss clock"

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The Port 1884 premiership team is shown in this grainy photo
View attachment 888865
1890 is this one
View attachment 888866

I agree with my source at Port who determined the Magenta & Blue colours were a Dark Pink (Magenta) and a Light Blue (Similar to the hoops)
When you convert Magenta and that shade of blue to Greyscale, you get this:
View attachment 888867
Therefore, without an actual version of the jumper to view, I'd be happy to say the body of the jumper was Magenta, the Yoke was Blue, and the jumper presented at the 150 year event was incorrect.

There's a small photograph which I believe is from 1970 and I believe Cahill, Potter, Elleway are with other players dressed in our past jumpers. Two of those jumpers look like a blue torso with white yokes, two appear to be the magenta with blue stripes, and two appear to be all pink. Interesting that there was no chalk blue and white horizontal striped jumper on parade in that photo and I seem to remember that when we did wear that jumper in a showdown many years ago that it was said this jumper was a 'likely' portrayal of what our first jumper may have been. I stand to be corrected.

I understand the Collingwood style guernseys are actual Collingwood guernseys donated to us by Collingwood when we were struggling financially after the second world war.

Their club must have been run by more decent people back then than the current campaigner.

Were they donated by Collingwood? I thought they were donated by a country club, possibly Quorn? I stand to be corrected.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza

John Wren wasn't it? So as you say, yes.

NoddyHolder

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2014
Tralfamadore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Were they donated by Collingwood? I thought they were donated by a country club, possibly Quorn? I stand to be corrected.
I'm actually not sure. I've heard Collingwood a couple of time - but have also at some time in the past heard it was a local team

Maybe I shouldn't wantonly go giving Collingwood credit for good deeds if I'm not absolutely certain

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's a small photograph which I believe is from 1970 and I believe Cahill, Potter, Elleway are with other players dressed in our past jumpers. Two of those jumpers look like a blue torso with white yokes, two appear to be the magenta with blue stripes, and two appear to be all pink. Interesting that there was no chalk blue and white horizontal striped jumper on parade in that photo and I seem to remember that when we did wear that jumper in a showdown many years ago that it was said this jumper was a 'likely' portrayal of what our first jumper may have been. I stand to be corrected.

The other players wearing historic jumpers in the 1970 centenary celebration were Neville Thiele and Dennis Errey.

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
The other players wearing historic jumpers in the 1970 centenary celebration were Neville Thiele and Dennis Errey.
Here's a pretty crappy version of that picture:
1591875489948.png

(I didn't note the source unfortunately; probably the Port Adelaide FC website yonks ago)
The magenta & blue one is a bit mixed up it seems:
1591875170340.png
(http://footyjumpers.com/portpre.htm)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 9, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The thing I've found researching history is there's often new information that comes to light, challenging the official story.
Look at StKilda's WW1 jumpers.
They were recorded as changing the White to Yellow(because of the German Flag), and if you weren't there, it's easy to imagine they were just the White stripes dyed to Yellow. However, once the Boyle photos were discovered in 2007 it became clear the cigarette cards of the era were not an artists impression but that the jumpers were completely different. They're here: http://www.footyjumpers.com/stkildahome.htm
Another example is Essendon. Their founder became the League president. He did an interview in 1912 where he said the colours were originally Black & Red stripes. If you get the original official history of Essendon it says the same. However, he was only talking about the socks. The jumpers were Blue, and they added a sash a few years later.
I have found there is also a prejudice that we tend to infer simplicity on previous generations.
We expect they wouldn't have changed much because they were simpler times, and clubs wouldn't be interested in changing their colours.
All photos are obviously B&W, so a Magenta and Light Blue vest will look like a Blue & White vest, so we assume it's the same thing.

I would suggest since the 1970 photo that more evidence has been uncovered, and that even the event of displaying the jumpers like that might have led to people coming forward with further information.
If Port changed to Magenta in 1884, then all photos taken after that would have been in those colours.
It may be the same design as the Blue & White, they may even be the same jumpers dyed to the new colours.

As far as I can tell, this is the first photo of a Port team, and honestly, the Hoops look darker than the Light Blue the club is promoting
(Perhaps they just didn't want to look like Geelong in that Heritage game in 2005)
1591889650084.png

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
The thing I've found researching history is there's often new information that comes to light, challenging the official story.
Look at StKilda's WW1 jumpers.
They were recorded as changing the White to Yellow(because of the German Flag), and if you weren't there, it's easy to imagine they were just the White stripes dyed to Yellow. However, once the Boyle photos were discovered in 2007 it became clear the cigarette cards of the era were not an artists impression but that the jumpers were completely different. They're here: http://www.footyjumpers.com/stkildahome.htm
Another example is Essendon. Their founder became the League president. He did an interview in 1912 where he said the colours were originally Black & Red stripes. If you get the original official history of Essendon it says the same. However, he was only talking about the socks. The jumpers were Blue, and they added a sash a few years later.
I have found there is also a prejudice that we tend to infer simplicity on previous generations.
We expect they wouldn't have changed much because they were simpler times, and clubs wouldn't be interested in changing their colours.
All photos are obviously B&W, so a Magenta and Light Blue vest will look like a Blue & White vest, so we assume it's the same thing.

I would suggest since the 1970 photo that more evidence has been uncovered, and that even the event of displaying the jumpers like that might have led to people coming forward with further information.
If Port changed to Magenta in 1884, then all photos taken after that would have been in those colours.
It may be the same design as the Blue & White, they may even be the same jumpers dyed to the new colours.

As far as I can tell, this is the first photo of a Port team, and honestly, the Hoops look darker than the Light Blue the club is promoting
(Perhaps they just didn't want to look like Geelong in that Heritage game in 2005)
View attachment 890778
If there's light blue, than it would be the lighter gray. There's no white at all.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If there's light blue, than it would be the lighter gray. There's no white at all.

Yeah that was my first thought too. The darker hoops look black, or perhaps dark navy. Black and light blue hoops would make a nicer looking kit than the Argeelongtina version we’ve concocted.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah that was my first thought too. The darker hoops look black, or perhaps dark navy. Black and light blue hoops would make a nicer looking kit than the Argeelongtina version we’ve concocted.
I concur! :)
images

P.S.: I have no idea whether Grêmio actually played with this design, but it does look good.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Come up with more designs and new colour schemes Gremio.
There are plenty of designs, but they are all blue, black, and white. We may change the shade of blue. It happens quote often.

Overall, there were some with golden or silver/gray details, but those were minor touches. That's all I can remember.

We have the benefit of having goalkeepers with theit own shirt. Those can go wild. Only rule is "no red."

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There are plenty of designs, but they are all blue, black, and white. We may change the shade of blue. It happens quote often.

Overall, there were some with golden or silver/gray details, but those were minor touches. That's all I can remember.

We have the benefit of having goalkeepers with theit own shirt. Those can go wild. Only rule is "no red."

I meant for Port. You made a thread for Port's jumpers and seem motivated to redesign more jumpers and adopt more colours.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I meant for Port. You made a thread for Port's jumpers and seem motivated to redesign more jumpers and adopt more colours.
I have posts on this. I would need to find them. But don't forget that I am also deeply in favor of the #bringbackthebars

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nah. You're in favour of many different colours and jumpers.
Yes, I am in favor of that TOO. I don't see any conflict between both positions whatsoever. It's quite the contrary, actually.

A tree may grow and change. Still, it remains the same tree. That's because it's always connected to its roots.

A tree may change its looks depending on the season, but the roots make sure the tree goes on. Also, the roots are that which allow the tree to reach for the sky. The firmer its roots are, the taller the tree can grow.

The PB is an essential part of our roots. We need it. With it, there is no need to be against the Spring. Like a tree, we may let flowers bloom in many colours, while remaining who we are.

Last edited:
Back