Prediction The guess how many senior games Brander will play in 2020 megathread

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
Looking at our squad i think Brander should/will be a lynchpin of our defence for years to come.Who else have we got coming through with his marking/kicking ability.We will need a new Hurn and Jetta soon enough.I think he does need a tad more muscle but i reckon he will play most of the season and mainly in defence.Baily Williams will be our new KPF.

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Looking at our squad i think Brander should/will be a lynchpin of our defence for years to come.Who else have we got coming through with his marking/kicking ability.We will need a new Hurn and Jetta soon enough.I think he does need a tad more muscle but i reckon he will play most of the season and mainly in defence.Baily Williams will be our new KPF.
I think this is close to the money

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll go with 7.

I'm still unsure what position he should be playing. I guess if JK or JD is out he should be trialled as a KPF.

But he could also play like schoey did in his earlier years, running out of defense. Maybe if Hurn or Shep is out he comes in for them?

I think Waterman has locked down the high Half Forward position but he could replace him if form or fitness dictates.

Really don't know

ME ME ME

Senior List
Sep 23, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
he wont play any more if west coast puts him up as part of the tim kelly trade

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
I'll go with 7.

I'm still unsure what position he should be playing. I guess if JK or JD is out he should be trialled as a KPF.

But he could also play like schoey did in his earlier years, running out of defense. Maybe if Hurn or Shep is out he comes in for them?

I think Waterman has locked down the high Half Forward position but he could replace him if form or fitness dictates.

Really don't know
If Waterman has this role locked where does the Golden Child play?

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Are you seriously saying Waterman would play in front of OAllen? Not in the same league!!
No, I was saying that in the BeornJ scenario Allen, not Brander would play in the KF post if one of JD or JK were missing. Don't know where Brander fits in the team at this stage.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I'm not as confident about Brander as most. I wouldn't be opposed to using him as trade bait. High quality key forwards typically play a fair bit in their first couple of years in the AFL. Acknowledging that he has some pretty stiff competition, I am a believer that if you're good enough, they find room.

This may seem pretty arbritary, but these are the games played in year 1-2 for all top 10 KP goalkicking finishers over the past 10 years.
47 Jack Darling
42 James Podsiadly* (3rd shot on a list)
39 Matthew Pavlich
37 Jeremy Cameron
36 Jarryd Roughead
34 Lance Franklin
33 Ben Brown
30 Tom Lynch
30 Travis Cloke
28 Jake Stringer
28 Nick Riewoldt
26 Jack Riewoldt
26 Joe Daniher
22 Tom McDonald
22 Joshua Kennedy
22 Charlie Dixon
21 Jay Schulz
20 Jesse Hogan
19 Barry Hall
19 Drew Petrie
19 Tom Hawkins
14 Josh Bruce
14 Jack Gunston
11 Josh Jenkins
14 Taylor Walker
03 Jarrod Brander
00 Jeremy Finlayson

Do we even know if he can play defence at a high standard?

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Do we even know if he can play defence at a high standard?

Brander isn't a bad defensive option because he's quick and has lovely skills by foot, i think he needs more upper body strength to play forward of the ball at AFL level. If he played KPD he'd be a different style to McGovern, Barrass and Edwards all of whom play loose and love to intercept.

Coaches seem to be angling for him to play wing ala Blakely.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Brander isn't a bad defensive option because he's quick and has lovely skills by foot, i think he needs more upper body strength to play forward of the ball at AFL level. If he played KPD he'd be a different style to McGovern, Barrass and Edwards all of whom play loose and love to intercept.

For a fairly big boy he is good on the ground and he quicker than many think. His skills are pretty good so developing as a wingman is quite suitable. It will be just time whether he can find enough of the ball to play outside mid. He is an interesting case as he can play all areas of the ground.

Hardly any. Less than 4.

Because everyone, fans and coaches included prefer seeing Kennedy hobble around like a fossil for sentimental reasons rather than give Brander a shot.

More rest for JK and more games for Brander plz, because next season we're going to need him whether he's ready or not.

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts

Described like that, he’s not unlike Jack Lukosius. And we’ll soon be needing good distribution from the backline.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back