Opinion Six $1m players in the AFL in 2019 - GWS with potentially 3 for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

This article lists the 6 million dollar men for 2019, one of those being GWS forward Jeremy Cameron.

With the announcement of Lachie Whitfield signing a long term 7 year deal, turning down what would have been many big money offers from other clubs, GWS add another player with million dollar potential locked away.

GWS already have Cameron believed to be on $1m. Josh Kelly signed a not inconsiderable deal, rejecting overtures from North Melbourne. Toby Greene is known to have signed a hefty deal as well.

This year, Lachie Whitfield joins Stephen Coniglio as the newest highly paid, long tenured players on the list.

With the contracts of Cameron, Greene, Kelly, Whitfield and Coniglio, it would not be a stretch to assume that at least 2 and potentially 3 of those players are pulling in 7 figures.

This begs the question - is this suspicious considering the quality of players and the huge amount of money involved? Is there any way to alleviate the concerns of the multitude of other clubs, save for making player payments public?

I was thinking the same thing.

It is possible (and likely) that the Coniglio and Whitfield deals are both heavily back-ended.
But it is difficult to see how all of these stars will be paid within the Cap without something big happening (e.g. J.Cameron leaving in 2021).

Making player payments public would only happen through the AFL and the not the clubs. I'd suggest if the Giants are over the cap then the AFL already knows about it. Therefore if the AFL released player payments they could just doctor the figures themselves before release.

I was thinking the same thing.

It is possible (and likely) that the Coniglio and Whitfield deals are both heavily back-ended.
But it is difficult to see how all of these stars will be paid within the Cap without something big happening (e.g. J.Cameron leaving in 2021).

Signing multiple players to 7 year deals makes salary cap management arguably even more difficult, it gives far less flexibility. Considering the quality of the kids they've picked up recently it seems odd that they would be comfortable with 7 year deals for Whitfield and Coniglio that may make it more difficult to keep a player like Taranto.

With Whitfield re-signing being great news for the club on another reported 'mega deal' of 7 years and Cameron reportedly close on a similar deal it would leave the following deals in the last few years.

The questions have to be asked, how much 'ambassadorial' money is flowing into these contracts?

Toby Green - reported 6 years @ $1m a season
Josh Kelly - reported 10 years @ $1m+ a season
Stephen Coniglio - reported 7 years @ $1m a season
Lachie Whitield - reported 7 years @ $1m a season

Tim Taranto - Extended for 2 years in 2019 in a year he went on to win the B&F? $600-$800k estimate.
Jeremy Cameron - Circa $1m deal incoming...

Then there's Hopper, Davis, Shaw, Williams, Himmelberg

The above 6 consume around 50% of the salary cap, with around $170k on average remaining to pay the remainder of the 80% of the playing list.

They've certainly lost a few players along the way, but I don't think there's been a club with more $1m+ deals fit under a single cap than this current Giant's side....

Last edited:
Signing multiple players to 7 year deals makes salary cap management arguably even more difficult, it gives far less flexibility. Considering the quality of the kids they've picked up recently it seems odd that they would be comfortable with 7 year deals for Whitfield and Coniglio that may make it more difficult to keep a player like Taranto.

If one of Taranto, Hopper, Caldwell or Hately get squeezed out, I would be happy to take any of them.

With Whitfield re-signing being great news for the club on another reported 'mega deal' of 7 years and Cameron reportedly close on a similar deal it would leave the following deals in the last few years.

The quests have to be asked, how much 'ambassadorial' money is flowing into these contracts?

Tim Taranto - Extended for 2 years in 2019 in a year he went on to win the B&F? $600-$800k estimate.

The above 6 consume around 50% of the salary cap, with around $170k on average remaining to pay the remainder of the 80% of the playing list.

They've certainly lost a few players along the way, but I don't think there's been a club with more $1m+ deals fit under a single cap than this current Giant's side....

I highlighted the words that you need to focus on.

Yes, yes, you might say that the AFL massage the books to allow GWS to go over the cap, grant tenuous ambassadorial payments, plan schemes to give a leg up to GWS etc etc so if you come up with those arguments I'm not bothering because it's impossible to fight conspiracy theories with evidence.

Scully, Patton, Wilson, Lobb, McCarthy etc have also left in the meantime, they would not have been on minimum wage.

The quests have to be asked, how much 'ambassadorial' money is flowing into these contracts?

Where was it reported out of interest? The only one you have correct IMO is that Cameron is a million dollar player. Green, kelly cogs whit would all be under a mil a season.

What WAS reported was all those players you mention making a pact two years ago to take unders to stay together.

I agree the cap is tight.... but you can't just make up that they are all on a mill

Yes, yes, you might say that the AFL massage the books to allow GWS to go over the cap, grant tenuous ambassadorial payments, plan schemes to give a leg up to GWS etc etc so if you come up with those arguments I'm not bothering because it's impossible to fight conspiracy theories with evidence.

Scully, Patton, Wilson, Lobb, McCarthy etc have also left in the meantime, they would not have been on minimum wage.

How can you fight conspiracy theories with evidence when there is no evidence?

Other players that GWS had to lose were squeezed out due to the fact that they had a higher salary cap and list allowances for their formative years. It was part of a natural equalisation of the list.

The fact that GWS were comfortable with signing off on 2 seven year deals is the suspicious part of this, because no club would reasonably do that due to the impact it could have on maintaining the list in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that GWS were comfortable with signing off on 2 seven year deals is the suspicious part of this, because no club would reasonably do that due to the impact it could have on maintaining the list in the future.
Say what? Clubs do this all the time. Long term deals give the player insurance (which reduces the price), allows you to schedule higher wages when it's best for the club, and is the most flexible if you need to rearrange the finances later.

So long as the players dont have a major falling out and need to leave, there's nothing wrong with the contract length.

Say what? Clubs do this all the time. Long term deals give the player insurance (which reduces the price), allows you to schedule higher wages when it's best for the club, and is the most flexible if you need to rearrange the finances later.

So long as the players dont have a major falling out and need to leave, there's nothing wrong with the contract length.

It worked so well for Port Adelaide after 2014 right? Exactly why Collingwood jumped at the opportunity to sign Grundy for 7 too right?

It's not something a club does all the time. They might do it with one player, but it's not smart list management gambling on a bunch of guys that are playing well now on the assumption that they'll stay good on a longer contract with less incentive.

Are you saying there is no chance the playing field for player retention is compromised?

Also - that would be fine, but it also discounts the fact that Wilson, Hopper, Himmelberg, Taranto and Haynes have all gotten better and signed new deals in the meanwhile.

Yes.

Excellent point, well done. You have noticed I am here making predictions. Here, have a star. ⭐
Making a prediction..... baiting the hook so you can derail the thread later more like it.

How can you fight conspiracy theories with evidence when there is no evidence?

Other players that GWS had to lose were squeezed out due to the fact that they had a higher salary cap and list allowances for their formative years. It was part of a natural equalisation of the list.

The evidence is that GWS haven't been busted for rorting the salary cap.

And then you will inevitably say 'well that's because GWS are an AFL lovechild and it's being covered up with shady deals'.

Nobody knows the figures, the media guess.
Its weird that supporters of clubs that proudly celebrate the cultures their clubs have built over the past few years are the same ones in here launching conspiracy theories against the actual same thing.
Players want to be in Sydney for the lifestyle benefits and will take unders to keep it.
Contracted players with back ended deals can be traded out.

Making a prediction..... baiting the hook so you can derail the thread later more like it.
Nah that was going to be my only contribution to the topic. The paranoia over the Giants is a long term boring topic on here for me. I'm only replying to you out of the genuine respect I have for you.

But since you believe I'm derailing instead.

Ciao, I'll leave.

Are you saying there is no chance the playing field for player retention is compromised?

Maybe GWS are paying half their players in ambassadorial payments or VISY deals or maybe they are just flouting the salary cap at will with the AFL's blessing.

However that's all just conjecture. No point arguing that because nothing I could say would make people change their minds on a conspiracy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back