The half back line

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interested in thoughts on this, on the back of what I recall was some insightful commentary by Passmore, Psicosis and when he was with us, Pykie, that our half back line was poor by league standards (ie when Jasper, Marley, JMac etc were playing musical chairs).

Do people have a sense that we might be on the improve in that area? Sure, LMac has gone down (not great), but Hall was a revelation against Adelaide, Jack is starting to look like a quarterback, Hayden is capable of playing lockdown (but can improve on disposal) and Aiden Bonar is clearly making great strides. Good signs?

Then when you've got some real speed on the wings for the HBFs to hook up to - Scott, Stephenson, Charlie etc - maybe there's the start of something

Interested in thoughts on this, on the back of what I recall was some insightful commentary by Passmore, Psicosis and when he was with us, Pykie, that our half back line was poor by league standards (ie when Jasper, Marley, JMac etc were playing musical chairs).

Do people have a sense that we might be on the improve in that area? Sure, LMac has gone down (not great), but Hall was a revelation against Adelaide, Jack is starting to look like a quarterback, Hayden is capable of playing lockdown (but can improve on disposal) and Aiden Bonar is clearly making great strides. Good signs?

Then when you've got some real speed on the wings for the HBFs to hook up to - Scott, Stephenson, Charlie etc - maybe there's the start of something

I’ve been vocal about it due to the fact we do not have a clear u22 player that will step into that role. For me, the most important attribute of filling this hole is elite footskills, if they have pace, great, but elite footskills is the first second and third priority for this IMO.

We currently have:
- Perez. Looks perfect but 2x ACLs now, cannot be putting our eggs in this basket.
- Young. Decent kick but not elite.
- Hayden. Good lockdown, but naturally a mid IMO & not a great user.
- Walker. Too early to tell.

I was personally very impressed with Halls game on Sunday, however I do have concerns around whether he can use the ball as well every week. I hope he can, because it will buy us some time.

So where to from here?

The chances of us luring an Ash or H Young are a pipe dream. Would also cost way overs. I also don’t think TT back there is the answer.

It’s going to have to be via the draft. I’d be taking the best user/HBF available at pick 19/20. There is a tassie kid called Banks who would be perfect.

It’s an important cog in this rebuild (IMO more important then the second KPF), having seen how Noble wants us to play, that first kick is so critical. We need someone who can cut sides up out of defence, which we’ve never really had.

If we could pick up a younger version of hall we saw on the weekend or Saad's running ability that'd be amazing.
Build that young backline that takes a couple of years to get going and we'll be set.
Already happening in the mids.

If we could pick up a younger version of hall we saw on the weekend or Saad's running ability that'd be amazing.
Build that young backline that takes a couple of years to get going and we'll be set.
Already happening in the mids.

Hall did a great job on Sunday, but longterm... we need someone who is natural in that position & has far more reliable kicking then him.

Our backline will start to assemble the full potential when we get the likes of atu, hayden, mackay, young, bonar, comben, perez.

Currently its an interim as neither atley, hall, ziebell will be there for the longterm and mcdonald is most valuable as a tagger.

I think the backs are holding up reasonably well given the torrent of incoming entries they’ve had to cope with.

The mids & forwards more a problem IMO

Sorry - not exactly cutting edge “analysis” but my thoughts nonetheless

We should be sticking a blank cheque in front of Lachie Ash to walk to the PSD.

I think in one of the next 3 drafts we will invest a first rounder on a genuine HBF with speed and footskills.

We’ve needed one for about 20 years since Byron and Kingy played off half back.

I’m convinced once we have one, the curse is over and the rebuild is complete, as we’ve never been able to draft and develop a genuine line breaking HBF since.

We should be sticking a blank cheque in front of Lachie Ash to walk to the PSD.

I think in one of the next 3 drafts we will invest a first rounder on a genuine HBF with speed and footskills.

We’ve needed one for about 20 years since Byron and Kingy played off half back.

I’m convinced once we have one, the curse is over and the rebuild is complete, as we’ve never been able to draft and develop a genuine line breaking HBF since.

Agree with all of this.

The shame is we have one - currently rehabbing second ACL. Perez described by some as best kick both sides of the body at the club since Boomer. Fast and fearless...and injured....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back