FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a show for anyone.

It’s definitely for me, I love it. My favourite show at the moment. Moss is brilliant imo. You seem to spend more time than anyone I’ve seen writing thesis’ about shows you don’t like (based off this and west world). A better move may be not watching them and putting that time (both viewing and writing) into something you enjoy more.

So you’re back into it? Doubt their ever going to be great friends. Interesting dynamic though. June should always hate her but they kind of need each other.
I said I was up to episode 7 of season 2, and finished episode 8 last night. Not into it, but giving it a chance (see westworld thread) after giving up on it 3/4 of the way thru season 1. So instead of posting my thoughts on it in WW thread, decided to post in the proper thread.

I said in WW and this thread ... the good about the show is the film-making aspects. Great cinematography. Great costume design, great set designs, great atmosphere/world creation, especially love the linear story with multiple flashbacks in it as a critique of what Westworld SHOULDVE done with their show instead of the ridiculous degree of Mystery Box it resorted to. Because in THT it really makes you know who each character is from the start, and then puts them thru a series of trials and tribulations, and you really invest as a viewer into the characters due to that. Whereas WW, no one cares about any of the characters or the story, they're just STILL trying to figure out who is who even, and trying to solve riddles. Which is stupid. Whatever attempt WW tried to have with sending a message about humanity and AI, about dehumanized humans and humanized robots, and the American Dream turned nightmare, just isn't there due to creating such a "solve the weekly riddles" type of show it is. Whereas in THT the messages it wants to send are never lost, always prescient. It's just THT shoves it down your throat far too much it becomes soap-boxy.

The story of THT is engaging, tho not enjoyable in an entertainment sense. It's a bleak horrid world.

Again, I just want to reiterate something about June the actress (Moss). Perhaps my criticism is more with the directors/writers of the show than her. Because they just keep pushing that button on us of putting her in extreme close-up at EVERY single reaction of hers to something going on around her. But they over-do it where any little thing that happens causes this massive over-reaction from June. Mr comes home, she stands there doing one of her facial expressions, the director makes a point of extreme close-up for 30 seconds of that. The new girl, wife of Nick, asks her if Mr liked the present she gave, another 30 second over-reaction from June about it. She walks up the stairs, stops, because she's thinking about something. Another 30 second massive over-reaction from June in close-up. Suddenly Mrs calls out to her to come, she needs her. Another 30 second massive over-reaction in close-up. FFS enough already. Woman, get over it. Or more, director, enough already, move the story along.

Moss has only two or three reaction shots.....she gulps furiously or opens her mouth slightly or pushes her jaw out, and she mixes those actions with her eyes either blinking rapidly, or staring wide-eyed, or darting left and right rapidly with a tear building. That's her acting in this show. Sure, it's "good" in the sense we really know what she's feeling -- anger or pain or worry or disgust. But she or the director just keep button mashing this every single show. Every scene they focus on making her react to everything like this. It's way over the top. Especially given much of it is over things she no longer should be agonizing over.

For instance, all her reactions, the close-ups for 30 seconds, was appropriate for the entire season 1. She just got kidnapped, had her kid stolen, subjected to torture, acclimating to Gilliad, and her early struggles to adapt and fit in. Ok, cool. But this far into season 2 now, she's still reacting in "shock and dismay" over stuff she's already adapted to, and found comfort in, like the life she has at the Waterfords. For her to STILL react in 30 sec close up in gulping fury because Mrs Waterford talked down at her is losing the plot. It's like the writers/director read all the reviews about how good Moss is, and just button mashing that as much as possible.

My "what I wouldve done" post before was on point -- they could've fast-tracked things a bit better season 2. They wasted too many episodes kind of "re-establishing" itself instead of moving on. The things I said should've happened, are already starting to happen. They just dragged it out too long....however, I'm grateful finally they moved some of those story-points along.

Like, how long is Nick and wife going to continue that coldness. We get it already. No need to keep showing scenes of cold talk at home. Move the story along. The show has far too much "actors standing around in extreme close-up gulping and silent in thought". Far too many nothing scenes re-iterating this kind of coldness going on around the home. They need a better dramatic touch in their writing.

Anyway, that's enough thesis for now.

I also think the pacing is perfect. I don't know how you could fast-track this series without losing the subtle details and character development. We are now learning more about Serena's previous life and seeing her take a different direction.

June probably feels isolated - what do you expect her to do, of course, she will try and find some human connection with Serena, Nick or Fred. In most situations, she's probably not even thinking clearly which will happen when living in that environment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont really like this tv show tho I do.

Season 1 episodes 1-5 were a labor to get thru. Season 1 episodes 6-10 were fantastic. But season 2 has been a big bore fest again.
I like the show because it really develops characters well and puts them in a variety of situations. But the characters are often two one-dimensional. June is the worst actress ever. I hate her style of acting, that same facial expression for everything. Her character too is a mess, and it therefore doesn't help give much sympathy for her. She's just a one-way street. The show really handles the flashbacks very well, if only Westworld employed a similar narrative style -- linear from the get go, with a lot of flashbacks mixed in -- then WW would've been much better, tho still lacking in terms of characters -- which THT excels at (bar June).

Anyway, I'm trying to find the exact words for why this show bores the s**t out of me. It's "too much" of certain things over and over.
'The worst actress ever' won:

Critics' Choice Television Award - Best Actress in a Drama Series
Golden Globe Award - Best Actress – Television Series Drama
Primetime Emmy Award - Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Satellite Awards - Best Actress – Television Series Drama

and was nominated for:
Screen Actors Guild Award - Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie
Screen Actors Guild Award - Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series
Screen Actors Guild Award -
Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

for her portrayal of June in the first season. I think you're just a little off the mark. Just a little.

I also think the pacing is perfect. I don't know how you could fast-track this series without losing the subtle details and character development. We are now learning more about Serena's previous life and seeing her take a different direction.

So do I.
These scenes perfectly play out the stress, anguish, strength of these characters as well as the human need to connect - regardless of circumstances.

June probably feels isolated - what do you expect her to do, of course, she will try and find some human connection with Serena, Nick or Fred. In most situations, she's probably not even thinking clearly which will happen when living in that environment.

Only a few episodes ago, she saw the result of what happens when she doesn’t abide by the rules - people die. Add that to being pregnant, it’s a little survival Instinct as well.

Last edited:
People too easily influenced. Where's the Ham Actors Award?

The best acting is more subtle. It's not her fault anyway, it's the directors.

The better actors in THT are Aunt Lydia and Serena Waterford....by a big margin.
The actress of Aunt Lydia also won a couple of awards as Best Supporting Actress. The actress of Serena has interestingly (given where the show is at) just become pregnant IRL

The actress of Aunt Lydia also won a couple of awards as Best Supporting Actress. The actress of Serena has interestingly (given where the show is at) just become pregnant IRL
Truly genuinely deserving award winner (Aunt Lydia). Everyone rubbing circles over June's ham acting and not realizing the Lydia actress was hitting everything out of the ballpark with EXTREMELY proficient acting prowess, technique, so subtle.

s**t...you’re in here as well Rev.

Good grief
Reposting what I did in WW here....

-------

Where am I lecturing? I simply state an opinion that something sucked and it's the lovers of the show who are lecturing.

Some serious hangups in these TV discussion threads. People who like a show pushing people who don't like it out of the discussion threads.

It's nothing different to a movie thread. People watched a movie, and they voice their reviews, things they like or dislike about it. They still watched it.

A TV show is no different. Once you start a show, you tend to want to keep going....even if you don't like it, you're already drawn in, and have to see it thru.

Truly genuinely deserving award winner (Aunt Lydia). Everyone rubbing circles over June's ham acting and not realizing the Lydia actress was hitting everything out of the ballpark with EXTREMELY proficient acting prowess, technique, so subtle.

Nah. There’s been quite a bit of commentary on Ann Dowd’s excellent portrayal of Aunt Lydia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back