FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

I think Serena /Yvonne has been outstanding this season . What a complex character that has revealed so many layers in s2

Season 3 should be the final one, how much longer can Gilead stay in power and eventually June needs to escape

we haven't seen much of Luke and Moira since they released the letters to the public .

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Last night was one of my favourite episodes.

I echo the Serena/Yvonne comments.

Loved where her story went last night.

Her story has been my favourite part, going from the real heart and soul leader of the Revolution, who got forced into the background due to her being female, to now being punished for wanting to speak out as a female..........

last night really took the whole female being a 2nd class citizen to the next level.

Fred is such a w***er.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
I also don't understand this Commander 'whats his name' who let Emily go.

So hes a good guy?????

But last week his crazy wife said he was the person who came up with the misery that is the workers in the Colonies. Not a nice bloke to come up with that crap.

So hes a good guy?????

But last week his crazy wife said he was the person who came up with the misery that is the workers in the Colonies. Not a nice bloke to come up with that crap.

I don't think anyone in this show is necessarily "good" or "bad".

Read something not long ago where he was described as an "Oppenheimer"-type character. Helped create Gilead, but became horrified by what he created.

jackn

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2006
aus
AFL Club
Carlton

So hes a good guy?????

I'd say he realised he ****ed up. Sometimes I've done things I wish I hadn't. Seems he is trying to make up for it. He would finally be able to come up with a decent speech about ethics I think.

What a great finale. Nick finally growing a pair. Serena finally wising up for real and Yvonne's brilliant performance continuing. June not going was predictable but I wasn't sure how she was going to get Nicole out and still try and find her first daughter.

Think they can make another 2 seasons without having to stretch the story out. Gilead won't fall all that quickly I don't think.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Echo the thoughts on Emily's Commander, he thought he had a good idea on paper but in reality has realised how bad it is. He's trying to redeem himself by taking in Emily, a Handmaid who was in one of the colonies, and getting her out of Gilead.

Serena will also surely turn on Gilead next season, seeing Eden's father admit to turning his own daughter in, then having her finger cut off for requesting an amendment to the law must make her realize that the leaders don't actually want to enforce God's law, but their own law. But she still fought for that world so I have no sympathy for her, though the writing and acting tempts you to

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
I think the notion or action of escape as a key driver for many characters on the show, so it's unreasonable to think it's not going to get used often. Probably roughly 49% of people in Gilead wouldn't mind escaping!

I get that, but they are overdoing the storyline over whether or not she escapes - she’s already escaped to the Boston Globe and then was sent back to Fred and Serena, once is believable - are they going to send her back again? Not realistic.

And speaking realistically, what would honestly happen to June after the van with Emily went off? She’d surely be executed within about 10 minutes, but because she’s the protagonist, we know that’s not going to happen.

And also - Nick and Rita risked their lives to get her out, surely they’d be rightly pissed off that she’s backed out at the last minute?

When June was approaching the van with Emily, I was hoping that it would lead to them escaping and then Season 3 focusing on June joining resistance forces in Canada to fight to get Hannah out.

The most interesting part about the show for mine is the exploration of character - showing that people are not all good or all bad. They've depicted June as a generally decent person, but who can be somewhat selfish and manipulative. Serena's depiction is fascinating to me - it's very easy to hate her, but there is that caring side to her.

I agree, Serena is the most interesting character in the show due to her conflicting nature.

You feel sorry for her when she has her finger cut off, when Fred whips her, and how desperate she is to become a mother and when she has to let Holly/Nicole go.

But then you remember all the terrible things she’s done and makes you wonder if you have any sympathy for her.

The show has done that well with her in Season 2, and yes, Yvonne has been amazing - definitely deserves her Emmy nomination.

To me now, the show is now not about whether or not June escapes, but if/how Gilead gets taken down. I can see the next season being less about June and more about MayDay. Oh, and probably June and Hannah.

I did read that the showrunner said they could imagine 10 seasons. I hope not. 3 or 4 would be my maximum, but given Hulu don't have much else going on at the moment I can see them pushing for longer.

Agree with both points.

That’s why the decision by June to stay in Gilead annoyed me - they need a new angle for the character. The dimensions of her time and relationship with the Waterfords have been done.

Now that she’s still in Gilead, the focus should be on a new angle - say joining forces maybe with the Bradley Whitfield character, and/or Serena Joy now that she may beginning to turn, to find Hannah, work with Mayday, and help to bring it down.

If she ends up back at Serena and Fred again, I’ll be annoyed.

That point you mention re: the show runner saying there could be 10 seasons is concerning. I get that TV execs want to draw things out as much as possible, but so many good TV series have gone on too long and jumped the shark - I really hope it doesn’t happen with a show as good as this.

End was dumb as s**t, made me angry that ive again she failed to get out. After everyone else risked so much for her once again.

Not even having the chance to get both of her children out? I think people risked so much to get her baby out. I think she was going to go right up until she saw Emily and decided she had a chance to get Hannah as well. What was the thing that Hannah said when they had the meetup? “Why didn’t you try harder” or something along those lines.

Not even having the chance to get both of her children out? I think people risked so much to get her baby out. I think she was going to go right up until she saw Emily and decided she had a chance to get Hannah as well. What was the thing that Hannah said when they had the meetup? “Why didn’t you try harder” or something along those lines.

But she doesn't have a chance to get hannah, how quickly does a handmaid wandering around get caught and if she didn't have plot armor she gets hung for stealing the baby. So now it's even worse she gets to live because of plot armor and make it even less believable. This show has been fantastic right up until the last 30 seconds.

But she doesn't have a chance to get hannah, how quickly does a handmaid wandering around get caught and if she didn't have plot armor she gets hung for stealing the baby. So now it's even worse she gets to live because of plot armor and make it even less believable. This show has been fantastic right up until the last 30 seconds.

Tv shows, especially those where there is a principal main character, have to rely on tropes. Even the best ones. If people can’t accept that, then they’re going to be disappointed by pretty much all tv shows that have titular characters. The Fugitive was always going to find the one-armed man. Patrick Jane was always going to find Red John. Ted Mosby was most definitely going to meet his children’s mother, and so on.

Isn’t the fun of tv shows not knowing what’s going to happen. What happens now is people try and predict where the show goes and if they lack the cognition or information to do so they get all shirty and dismissive. Characters “teleport” in GOT? How bout instead of saying how it can’t happen, look for how it could happen and accept there are parts of the narrative your not being shown whether that’s deliberate or not.

As much as I enjoy thinking about where the show is likely to go straight afterwards, these a lot to be said with trying actively to let yourself be surprised when watching a show. It’s supposed to be escapism after all.

Tv shows, especially those where there is a principal main character, have to rely on tropes. Even the best ones. If people can’t accept that, then they’re going to be disappointed by pretty much all tv shows that have titular characters. The Fugitive was always going to find the one-armed man. Patrick Jane was always going to find Red John. Ted Mosby was most definitely going to meet his children’s mother, and so on.

Isn’t the fun of tv shows not knowing what’s going to happen. What happens now is people try and predict where the show goes and if they lack the cognition or information to do so they get all shirty and dismissive. Characters “teleport” in GOT? How bout instead of saying how it can’t happen, look for how it could happen and accept there are parts of the narrative your not being shown whether that’s deliberate or not.

As much as I enjoy thinking about where the show is likely to go straight afterwards, these a lot to be said with trying actively to let yourself be surprised when watching a show. It’s supposed to be escapism after all.

Massive difference between the teleporting in GOT and people not being able to accept that time jumps are required to make the show flow properly and June continually making terrible decisions. They show all the brutality and horror of Gilead yet nothing ever happens to June she continues to escape repercussions despite being the mother of all *ups and trying to escape 3 times now. If they want to be believable they need her to suffer the same as everyone else for her transgressions.

Or better yet the underground women's railroad is a fascinating idea one that mirrors the slave railroad from times gone past, have June escape and then work with them to free Hannah just wandering off into the night was a dumb as * ending.

Massive difference between the teleporting in GOT and people not being able to accept that time jumps are required to make the show flow properly and June continually making terrible decisions. They show all the brutality and horror of Gilead yet nothing ever happens to June she continues to escape repercussions despite being the mother of all ****ups and trying to escape 3 times now. If they want to be believable they need her to suffer the same as everyone else for her transgressions.

Or better yet the underground women's railroad is a fascinating idea one that mirrors the slave railroad from times gone past, have June escape and then work with them to free Hannah just wandering off into the night was a dumb as **** ending.
That's the problem, June continues to escape without any type of punishment . And now she isn't pregnant so there's no reason to go back to the Waterfords.

Also I wonder how much input Atwood had in season two. I've read most of her books and I'm just surprised she would come up with that ending. Though hulu probably wants to extend the series and drag out the storyline since it's doing well. In that case, let's send June back in Gilead, don't know how she'll save Hannah on her own.

Last edited:
That's the problem, June continues to escape any type of punishment . And now she isn't pregnant so there's no reason to go back to the Waterfords.

Also I wonder how much input Atwood had in season two. I've read most of her books and I'm just surprised she would come up with that ending. Though hulu probably wants to extend the series and drag out the storyline since it's doing well. In that case, let's send June back in Gilead, don't know how she'll save Hannah on her own.

She has to join the resistance my problem is the hamfisted way they did it leaving her wandering in the night was just dumb.
Apparently hulu have said they want 10 season if possible. 10 seasons of this would be madness.

Last edited:

Yeah... I think it would have been more unrealistic to think she'd abandon her child there. Especially after just seeing her. Hannah remembered who she was.. save one, but not the other? I think Emily will have the role of starting a revolution etc.

Back