FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

For the story so far it was fine. Save for the silliness that all these leaders were living in a little street in a suburban town rather then in Washington or some other major city.

But the potential for where this series could go is significant if budget wasn't a constraint. It's a show that is going to at some point be about a rebellion against the current leadership and that needs a big budget to do right.

Why wouldn't you live in a nice house in the suburbs if you had the pick of anywhere to live.

If it happened in Australia you better believe all the leaders would be lapping it up in Toorak or somewhere similar

Except for the hooker club there doesn't seem to be a nightlife scene or other inner city charms to make you live there anyway. God botherers like a big house with a garden.

Why wouldn't you live in a nice house in the suburbs if you had the pick of anywhere to live.

If it happened in Australia you better believe all the leaders would be lapping it up in Toorak or somewhere similar
Toorak is inner suburbs right next to the city not some country town. From the discussion in the show these guys didn't take over through a civil war but through gaining power through the usual process and then changing the rules from the inside to gain complete control. Thus they would all be based in Washington.

Toorak is inner suburbs right next to the city not some country town.

Toorak homes and blocks are ******* spacious. The filthy rich don't do terrace living in Melbourne.

From the discussion in the show these guys didn't take over through a civil war but through gaining power through the usual process and then changing the rules from the inside to gain complete control. Thus they would all be based in Washington.

They blew up Congress and the show mentions nuclear waste a lot. I suspect Washington DC, what's left of it, is a place nobody with a choice goes near.

Toorak homes and blocks are ******* spacious. The filthy rich don't do terrace living in Melbourne.

They blew up Congress and the show mentions nuclear waste a lot. I suspect Washington DC, what's left of it, is a place nobody with a choice goes near.

yeah they talk about sending trouble makers to the colonies to clean up the waste which means certain death

Thanks I missed that bit. Really hope there is more back story in the next series. Why has nearly everyone become sterile. How exactly did these loonies come to power. I know it's not the point of the book but it would be fascinating to find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

silly aren't they, surely they would get a lot of viewers in a ratings time slot

Personally, I would've thought so (especially with the word of mouth for this show), but don't be surprised if this is the way of the future. SBS have shown their hands previously and are really pushing their online content. I'm unsure if it's a cost or advertising revenue thing or what.

There's also the potential argument that niche premium dramas simply don't rate as well as they are received, no matter what the channel. I don't buy that these days though, since GoT has basically averaged 700k so far this season on subscription tv only.

People are interested in this sort of show anymore.
Sadly s**t like The Bachelor, Last Resort & Australian Ninja (The Block. Masterchef "talent shows") are what networks will continue to produce & show because that is the sort of s**t which sadly rates these days.
I talk a lot about what is on TV with friends and family and I can honestly say that only 2 or 3 people I know would watch and appreciate how f**king good this show is.
The rest wouldn't even give it a chance.

Personally, I would've thought so (especially with the word of mouth for this show), but don't be surprised if this is the way of the future. SBS have shown their hands previously and are really pushing their online content. I'm unsure if it's a cost or advertising revenue thing or what.

There's also the potential argument that niche premium dramas simply don't rate as well as they are received, no matter what the channel. I don't buy that these days though, since GoT has basically averaged 700k so far this season on subscription tv only.

People are interested in this sort of show anymore.
Sadly s**t like The Bachelor, Last Resort & Australian Ninja (The Block. Masterchef "talent shows") are what networks will continue to produce & show because that is the sort of s**t which sadly rates these days.
I talk a lot about what is on TV with friends and family and I can honestly say that only 2 or 3 people I know would watch and appreciate how f**king good this show is.
The rest wouldn't even give it a chance.

SBS has been dumbing itself down for some time (since the late Howard years when they received directives to chase the all ighty ollar) but they're still a long way from My Kitchen Rules level dogshit.

They show those bleak Nordic crime dramas earlier in the evening so I think they're just oblivious to how popular this show is going to be particularly amongst younger viewers. As for their online streaming, that's never going to a 'gamechanger' while it looks no better than 480p YouTube videos.

Last edited:
SBS has been dumbing itself down for some time (since the late Howard years when they received directives to chase the all ighty ollar) but they're still a long way from My Kitchen Rules level dogshit.

They show those bleak Nordic crime dramas earlier in the evening so I think they're just oblivious to how popular this show is going to be particularly amongst younger viewers. As for their online streaming, that's never going to a 'gamechanger' while it looks no better than 480p YouTube videos.

Well, the show they are airing before Handmaid's Tale proves how much they have changed in recent years... They somehow got the rights to 'The Good Fight', which is the spinoff of 'The Good Wife'. That may have more to do with 10's incompetence though.

Watched episodes 1 and 2 and found it mind numbingly slow. Skipped straight to episode 10 and I don't think I missed much. I reckon it's sci-fi for chicks.

Watched episodes 1 and 2 and found it mind numbingly slow. Skipped straight to episode 10 and I don't think I missed much. I reckon it's sci-fi for chicks.
You might find Yummy Mummy's more up your alley then.

People want something 'big' to happen all the time now thanks to shows like MKR having a "cliffhanger" before every ad break. They get 10 minutes into a serial and if the world hasn't blown up they think it's boring. Sometimes, the longer something builds - the more significant the event, and the more satisfying the viewing becomes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back