FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched episodes 1 and 2 and found it mind numbingly slow. Skipped straight to episode 10 and I don't think I missed much. I reckon it's sci-fi for chicks.

The only sci fi in it is the mass infertility I think. It's for people who can go an hour without playing on their phone or tablet.

You might find Yummy Mummy's more up your alley then.

People want something 'big' to happen all the time now thanks to shows like MKR having a "cliffhanger" before every ad break. They get 10 minutes into a serial and if the world hasn't blown up they think it's boring. Sometimes, the longer something builds - the more significant the event, and the more satisfying the viewing becomes.

Your loss
It's dystopian not sci-fi btw

The only sci fi in it is the mass infertility I think. It's for people who can go an hour without playing on their phone or tablet.

I seem to have struck a nerve lol.

It's near future dystopia but can be classified as sci-fi because the changes in society are a result of a dramatic change in fertility levels. FWIW the book won the 1987 Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel.

Are people invested in this show because of its ideology? I gave it a chance but nothing much happened. The show is poor compared to series that are slow paced but maintain character interest and are visually more appealing like Leftovers, Better Call Saul or Fargo.

It's near future dystopia but can be classified as sci-fi because the changes in society are a result of a dramatic change in fertility levels. FWIW the book won the 1987 Arthur C. Clarke Award for best science fiction novel.

Are people invested in this show because of its ideology? I gave it a chance but nothing much happened. The show is poor compared to series that are slow paced but maintain character interest and are visually more appealing like Leftovers, Better Call Saul or Fargo.
How can you compare it to shows with 3 seasons when you've only seen 2 episodes?

Edit: FWIW, IMDB ratings are:

Fargo 9.0
Handmaid's Tale 8.7
Better Call Saul 8.7
The Leftovers 8.2

Last edited:
Fargo is a great show, but it's so different in tone from The Handmaid's Tale that it's pointless comparing them. Even though I wasn't as sold on Ross as many have been, it was still terrific television which did its source material proud.

How can you compare it to shows with 3 seasons when you've only seen 2 episodes?

Edit: FWIW, IMDB ratings are:

Fargo 9.0
Handmaid's Tale 8.7
Better Call Saul 8.7
The Leftovers 8.2

IMDB ratings are a measure of how many fanbois there are. Every TV show or movie with enough viewers gets a pass mark.

IMDB ratings are a measure of how many fanbois there are. Every TV show or movie with enough viewers gets a pass mark.

What about rotten tomatos and metacritic?

Fargo 96% RT 85 MC
Handmaid 100% RT 92 MC
BCS 97% RT 78 MC
Leftovers 90% RT 65MC

I found it interesting. I liked how things became apparently slowly by virtue of them happening.

Whenever you have to create a world that is entirely different, you can do it one of two ways. The first is to use artificial dialogue to create the exposition. This has the benefit of making the pace of story move faster.

The other, and the one patient people who can't stand unrealistic dialogue tend to favour, is to build it slowly through immersion. Through events and plot that reveal certain truths about the world that the story is set in.

Mad Max is a good example of the second. The opening 30 seconds alone answers so many questions about the world that they are in, without any exposition or voiceovers.

Islam has many problems that need fixing (none of which will be solved by the dopey racist "**** off, we're full" people) but calling Christianity modern is a stretch. George Pell, Tony Abbott, Mike Pence, these aren't good people. Hating women and gays and trans is a part of all the dominant branches of Christianity. It's why shows like this can get made and you think "Hey... maybe this could happen if we had a global pregnancy crisis." Good luck getting an abortion in Christian hospitals by the way. Christians are also the only reason gays can't married. Christians are why your terminally ill parent's doctors risk criminal conviction to help them end their suffering. So ******* modern.

My 11 yr old son was telling me women are equal - I then asked him to find me a female mullah, rabbi, Cardinal or Catholic priest. Pretty much all major religions subjugate women. It's partly why this series was so interesting. The power dynamics between genders and people in general are very interesting.

I recall having to take a 'Gender Studies' class for a double major and was the only straight male in a class of mainly women (womyn) and a couple of gay males. Andrea Dworkin's view that all men were rapists was on the syllabus and seemed to be taken as fact. They didn't like it much when I pointed out that sort of hate literature against any other group would be banned from the syllabus.

I guess my point is that it's human nature to group up and exert power over others. The Blue Eyes experiment confirmed that people will discriminate against and bully others (actively and/or passively) if it suits them.

Really powerful series that got me thinking about topics I rarely bother with (but should).

Another TV adaption of Margaret Atwood's book, Alias Grace. Can't wait to see this, one of my favourite books

“Alias Grace” begins airing Sept. 25 on CBC-TV and will stream internationally on Netflix.

“I think with 'Alias Grace' we can look back to where we've come from as women, and 'Handmaid's Tale' is this cautionary tale of where we could be going,” Polley said Tuesday at a festival press conference.

“We're in this space in between and I think it's a really important conversation to have, not just out loud and with each other and articulately but lingering in the background of our minds.”

http://www.cp24.com/entertainment-n...-tv-series-gave-her-real-nightmares-1.3586865

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few dystopias I've seen feel as hopeless and bleak as this one.

I am 4 episodes in and going to myself, how ******* bleak and oppressive is this ******* world.
It does it well though. Really makes you feel how horrible this would be. It is really ****ed up.

Reminds me of how oppressive the movie 1984 was with William Hurt.

The worst thing about these type of things is you think to yourself, it is only a tv show, nothing is really this oppressive, but reality is bullshit. Crap stuff like this can happen in the real world and does in some parts. Not in this particular way but the oppressive things like this have and do go on.

It is good shows like this remind how ****ed up some of this real world is and never let your kindness be taken for granted within yourself and how you are with other people and creatures of the world.

It is interesting to watch but also difficult.

I am 4 episodes in and going to myself, how ******* bleak and oppressive is this ******* world.
It does it well though. Really makes you feel how horrible this would be. It is really ****** up.

Reminds me of how oppressive the movie 1984 was with William Hurt.

The worst thing about these type of things is you think to yourself, it is only a tv show, nothing is really this oppressive, but reality is bullshit. Crap stuff like this can happen in the real world and does in some parts. Not in this particular way but the oppressive things like this have and do go on.

It is good shows like this remind how ****** up some of this real world is and never let your kindness be taken for granted within yourself and how you are with other people and creatures of the world.

It is interesting to watch but also difficult.
John Hurt?

John Hurt?

Yes. Confused myself with his name.
Was actually watching the last scene of 1984 on youtube later that day and noticed the credits showing John Hurt then and released my mistake. Even thought to myself it was the same actor playing role of Greer on Person of Interest until that day.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back