FTA-TV The Handmaid’s Tale

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
(Question: can someone tell me how to do the spoiler tag thingo? I’m technologically illiterate)

SPOILERS

That episode sucked, on two fronts.

- June pissed me right off in that episode. Yes, I know she’s a mother, in a terrible situation etc but what did she hope to achieve by going to her daughter’s school? She had no hope of getting her out and needlessly put herself and ultimately the Martha at risk.

It’s been established that she’s very smart, selfishly and recklessly taking a huge and unnecessary risk like that is not only irritating but goes way against her character.

The snitching Handmaids may be a snitching Handmaid but June is just as culpable for the death of the martha.

- The whole thing with the hangings, salvaging etc has been done to death (pardon the pun) and everyone is over it.

We get it: Gilead is s**t, brutal, awful. You’ve shown us this in countless other episodes.

Everyone I’ve spoken to about this show agrees that it’s getting tiresome watching brutal s**t happen every week.

The show really needs to pick up its game with different story arcs and ideas other than “Hey, isn’t this such a dreadful place!” otherwise I’m done with it.

Try hitting the three little dots and the down arrow box next to the smiley face?

Then enter a spoiler title, then type inside the bracket.

while this episode seemed a little slower, I did like some parts of it.

When they went into the abandoned house, Serena did at least look a little uncomfortable - she might still have a little bit of humanity in her. Although that dance thing was a little, 'meh'....

Eleanor called June by her real name .. and I liked the story with Moira and Emily. I think its about halfway through the series now so I expect it to pick up the pace a little.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Surprised at how trivial an incident it was to tip her over a into the malicious person she was to become. It wasn’t a divine moment or the result of a catastrophic tragedy but about her own personal failings. The transformation into a Gilead zealot happened off the back of rejection. Incredibly simple but yet complex

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Surprised at how trivial an incident it was to tip her over a into the malicious person she was to become. It wasn’t a divine moment or the result of a catastrophic tragedy but about her own personal failings. The transformation into a Gilead zealot happened off the back of rejection. Incredibly simple but yet complex

I think
it was supposed to illustrate that Lydia was ****ed up anyway. No pivotal moment that flipped her. Just a callous, cold, miserable, moralistic bitch who takes her anger at her shitty arse life out on others - primarily younger women

Hadn’t visited this thread for a while.

Look, I will still watch this, and I’m invested in the story, but what a frustrating watch it has become.

That dance scene was rubbish, and the “June stares at camera menacingly” scene that they have seemingly put into every episode is doing my head in.

Leon

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
This episode was better than last week but still fairly meh.

Some points re: this episode

- Janine is a good character, needs to be used more

- Bradley Whitford is a great actor and along with Janine is being way under used. He appeared in about 2 scenes tonight and has barely had any part to play in weeks.

His character is interesting and I was hoping that his inclusion would be good for the show and that his story could add several layers to the show.

Instead it’s all about June every episode.

- If they were going to do Aunt Lydia’s backstory should have been done way earlier than tonight

- The show really needs something major and more dramatic to happen.

The ending with Ofmatthew dying was ok but she was a minor character.

Feels like they’re going around in circles at the moment.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Instead it’s all about June every episode.

I have a feeling that this could come down to the Elisabeth Moss is also an Exec producer of the show and this is clearly her baby factor.

Interesting in the promo for next week, Janine is getting into June about how she doesn’t care about anyone but herself anymore, and has changed.

Perhaps this whole making June as unlikeable as humanly possible has been deliberate all along, and there is method to it.

But I doubt it.

Show is called The Handmaid’s Tale. Singular. Of course it’s going to revolve around June.

But I much prefer shows with an anti-hero at the centre. June can be genuine yet conniving, caring yet selfish, clever yet incredibly dumb. So much more interesting than a pure character who gets beaten down continually.

And the pacing of the show has never been slow to glacial. I’m not sure why people are surprised.

Yesterday's episode was better than last week though we still had to endure June's close ups again.

So we finally learnt about Aunt Lydia's past, seems like an unhappy and grumpy lady who was rejected by a guy. So decides to make others miserable.

Janine is a good character who notices June is a selfish person.

Echoes

Drain the swamp.
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Biggest heel turn since Anakin Skywalker.

02920FB0-B116-4D46-AE2A-AF6E37156944.jpeg

Back