Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, so Dans have a good selection and I narrowed it down

Please note numbers in red are amount of cans per purchase

30 cans for $66 sounds good, but never had Spearhead Pale, can anyone recommend for a good session beer?
upload_2017-2-24_15-17-26.png

Hawthorn Pilsner is a very respectable drop, eh Doss? Having entirely failed to source a local kolsch (any takers?) I've been working through the pilsners my local Dan's stocks, and that's been the standout so far - subtle, very drinkable, and has that classic central European feel nailed. The Monteith's isn't bad, though obviously less local, but I was unimpressed by the Coldstream and Hawkers efforts - both generic craft beers with a style seemingly pasted on after the fact.

Hawthorn Pilsner is a very respectable drop, eh Doss? Having entirely failed to source a local kolsch (any takers?) I've been working through the pilsners my local Dan's stocks, and that's been the standout so far - subtle, very drinkable, and has that classic central European feel nailed. The Monteith's isn't bad, though obviously less local, but I was unimpressed by the Coldstream and Hawkers efforts - both generic craft beers with a style seemingly pasted on after the fact.
Four Pines has a good one from NSW

Will give it a whirl.
Hawthorn Pilsner is very good.

I actually don't mind the Little Creatures Pilsner either, although I'm not sure it's really a Pilsner. The Squire Pilsner is not great.

As far as Kolschs go, as Ethan said Four Pines is decent. I've still never come across one anywhere near as good as Fruh.

So I'm scared but I hope I don't get ripped too hard. This arvo I had a couple of Great Northern Originals. Don't mind it.

Now let me explain.

We're on holiday in Port Douglas and it's a bit warmer and far more humid than I am used to. Also I am in an awesome location relaxing like I rarely do.

Is this a case of "it always tastes better on holidays"?

I've never had it before, haven't spoken to anyone about it ever and haven't heard a damn thing about it beyond the ads on TV, but right now am thinking clean, refreshing, inoffensive, and suits the climate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four Pines has a good one from NSW
Thoroughly enjoyed this, cheers.

On another note, I was always of the opinion that mid-strength beer was universally bland, watery dross. They're quite big on 3.5% "session ales" in the UK though, which are occasionally quite good, and on my return I discovered Coopers Mild, which is spectacular. Decided to broaden my horizons this week though and give a couple of others a whirl - the Gage Roads Pilsener and Cricketers Arms Journeyman. Alas, both bland, watery dross.
Mid-strength quest continues. Cricketers Arms Session Ale tins are on sale at Dan's this month for $12, and are very drinkable.

Mainly a wine and spirit man but Mornington brown ale is a current favourite.

I have not. Will keep an eye out.

Also, where would I find Fruh around these parts?
Not easy to find unfortunately. You may need to go to Slow Beer or that other place in Surrey Hills (name escapes me) that seems to have everything under the sun.

I've had it at bars twice here. Valley Cellar in Moonee Ponds had it on tap in 2014 for a while. And Howler has it a few years back too, in cans.

Can't wait to get hold of the Pirate life stout, because, well,,,,it's Pirate Life and their other releases have been pretty bloody good
She's good to go

7d756cb0-94a1-4136-9e7e-f4ba447bedba.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back