Games The Hangar Board Gaming Thread

my games of connect four with mrs moon are legendary, its probably our game of choice. We are still in constant debate about whether its a game of chance or a game of skill however. I guess it depends who won
It's definitely skill. I rock a C4

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
It's definitely skill. I rock a C4

you can get to a point half way through the game where theres about 6 rows nobody can use due to traps, leaving only a couple of free lanes... thats where the chance comes in, its 50/50 whether its you or her that runs out of safe spaces and needs to use the deadily trapped lanes

you can get to a point half way through the game where theres about 6 rows nobody can use due to traps, leaving only a couple of free lanes... thats where the chance comes in, its 50/50 whether its you or her that runs out of safe spaces and needs to use the deadily trapped lanes
Pssh. I know exactly how to win or draw in that scenario

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
I found board games a really good educational tool for my kids when they were young (games for younger kids obviously). For example Monopoly Junior is a good one to get them used to money (give and take), counting, addition, reading etc. Also teaches them a little bit of friendly banter and that winning isn't everything, it's a game so the aim is to have fun first and foremost.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I found board games a really good educational tool for my kids when they were young (games for younger kids obviously). For example Monopoly Junior is a good one to get them used to money (give and take), counting, addition, reading etc. Also teaches them a little bit of friendly banter and that winning isn't everything, it's a game so the aim is to have fun first and foremost.

winning isnt everything?

does not compute

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
The typical game is decided within ten minutes then takes two hours to drag to its inevitable conclusion.

Red and yellow are the best colours to get I find, if you get 3 of them load them up to hotels as quickly as possibly almost at the expense of anything else. They're the first colours which start to take serious money off your opponents, and if the person lands on Go To Jail it's almost like a shortcut back to navigate your red/yellow trap again.

Also not a fan of Monopoly. Have tried other versions like Anti-Monopoly that are supposed to make it less crap, but they're usually over-complicated and not really any fun either. There's always at least one sore loser that ruins it.

Pay Day, Stockmarket, Careers, Cluedo are all solid old school board games. Secret Hitler is a newer one that's fun.

Card games > Board games though. Werewolf, CAH, Exploding Kittens, Joking Hazard...

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

I feel like due to the lack of variables you could essentially make a connect 4 strategy that means at worst you'll draw.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
I remember when I was young (under 10), board games I played mainly consisted of Monopoly, Connect 4, Squatter and Test Match. I my early teens the family really got into Trivial Pursuit, it was a Summer holiday special, along with various card games. Some great memories of the family gathered together in the evening playing games - no prisoners taken in our family!

Through high school I delved into D&D and some other similar games. Also, great fun spending time with friends.

About 5 or so years ago I got back into board games as a way (excuse) to catch up with some old high school mates plus some other friends - the board game nights are a great 'excuse' to see each other face-to-face in a world that has slid more and more to online gaming (which I do play) and (un)social media.

I've spent some of the down time this year converting our garage into a board games room, we actually had to do it as my collection had got a little....too large.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Test Match.

That's a blast from the past.
For ages our "pitch" was just folded up in the box so it was like playing on a downhill MTB course.
Eventually I stapled(?) it to a piece of MDF after getting mum to iron it so it was flat.
That become a little boring so we slide a couple of 5c coins in there to make the pitch a bit more lively again.

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Yeah, I'd say connect 4 is a skill game, but the skill ceiling is pretty low due to there not being enough variables like Aeglos said. I'd assume it's a solved game as far as optimal strats, but I haven't bothered looking into it but I would assume going first creates a huge advantage if you're knowledgable about it.

I played a lot of board games growing up and also somehow fell into playing poker for a living for like 7 years and recently have been wanting to really get into them again, but it's kind of hard if your direct friendship group isn't really that into them. Just before the pandemic I was looking through the site meetup and found lots of bars had nights where groups did board game nights as I'd really been craving that sort of vibe, I was going to look into attending but obviously that's really a thing at the moment.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
Yeah, I'd say connect 4 is a skill game, but the skill ceiling is pretty low due to there not being enough variables like Aeglos said. I'd assume it's a solved game as far as optimal strats, but I haven't bothered looking into it but I would assume going first creates a huge advantage if you're knowledgable about it.

I played a lot of board games growing up and also somehow fell into playing poker for a living for like 7 years and recently have been wanting to really get into them again, but it's kind of hard if your direct friendship group isn't really that into them. Just before the pandemic I was looking through the site meetup and found lots of bars had nights where groups did board game nights as I'd really been craving that sort of vibe, I was going to look into attending but obviously that's really a thing at the moment.

Wow, a pro poker player! Could you make a living from it?

I’d encourage you to try some local gaming groups once lockdown is over - board gaming has made a massive resurgence in the past 5 years or so, I think more people are craving the social interaction.

If you’re ever in Adelaide, I’m always up for some beers and games!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
As with any board game, they are always better with home tweaks...

We converted testmatch to have slow, medium and express bowlers. We had three strips of cardboard of varying lengths that was sat under the bowlers arm along the pitch.

Express was pretty long, ended about 3 inch from the batsman, ball used to get there fast! But it also meant you could get some good heat on your shots

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Wow, a pro poker player! Could you make a living from it?

I’d encourage you to try some local gaming groups once lockdown is over - board gaming has made a massive resurgence in the past 5 years or so, I think more people are craving the social interaction.

If you’re ever in Adelaide, I’m always up for some beers and games!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I did, at least enough for a guy in his early/mid 20s. It was obviously a bit stressful at times but it was a pretty cool time in my life, met a lot of great people through it, it took me overseas to live for a bit. Just something cool to look back on and say I gave something a bit abstract a shot and had some success with it.

Hah, yes if I'm ever in the area I'll def be up for beers and games. If you're into DnD and tabletop stuff but also play vidya games, I'd recommend checking out Disco Elysium. Really cool isometric RPG with some tabletop mechanics, it's pretty wild.

Back