Games The Hangar Board Gaming Thread

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
I did, at least enough for a guy in his early/mid 20s. It was obviously a bit stressful at times but it was a pretty cool time in my life, met a lot of great people through it, it took me overseas to live for a bit. Just something cool to look back on and say I gave something a bit abstract a shot and had some success with it.

Hah, yes if I'm ever in the area I'll def be up for beers and games. If you're into DnD and tabletop stuff but also play vidya games, I'd recommend checking out Disco Elysium. Really cool isometric RPG with some tabletop mechanics, it's pretty wild.
Disco Elysium is on my Steam wishlist, just waiting for a good special.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2007
Not practice
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sam Hinkie
Disco Elysium is on my Steam wishlist, just waiting for a good special.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I was in the same boat, but with really nothing else to play I said * it and just bought it a few days ago. Well worth it, it's great. It actually did go on sale from $56 to a tick under $40 right after I bought it as well.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Has anyone ever worked out how to play Backgammon and Rummikub?

I'm lost every time.

Haven't played Rummikub, but have played Backgammon a lot. I find the best way to learn a (new) game is to watch a Youtube vid - there's heaps on how to set up, how to play, reviews etc. I find I learn faster from a video than reading rules.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I was in the same boat, but with really nothing else to play I said fu** it and just bought it a few days ago. Well worth it, it's great. It actually did go on sale from $56 to a tick under $40 right after I bought it as well.

Yeah, I saw that, hanging out for more than 30% off but, having said that, I'm getting tempted to get it sooner rather than later.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Had some mates around last night for Round 2 of our 2020/21 Formula D racing season. I managed to win R1 in Monaco and scraped home into second last night. The overall championship is tied as last night's winner was second in R1.

For those wondering what game I'm talking about:

formula-d.jpg

"Formula D is a high stakes Formula One type racing game where the players race simulated cars with the hope of crossing the finish line first. This is a re-release of Formula Dé with several changes from the original format. Whilst old tracks can be used with the updated Formula D rules, the new game features boards that have an F1 track and a Street Track on the other side. These street tracks each have a novel inclusion or two to add greater theme -

The game mechanisms are a simple race, get to the finish line first! However, players have to use a significant amount of planning, and rely on quite a bit of luck. Each player manages when to shift gears, with each gear providing a different speed. (For example, 4th gear is a die that rolls random numbers from 7 to 12 for spaces moved.) Each turn, players may move up one gear, stay in that gear, or move down gears. This forces players to match possible rolls with the optimum distance for that turn, and hopefully plan ahead. However, speed is not the only issue! Corners have a "stop" rule that requires players to stop once, twice, or three times on that corner in consecutive turns or face a penalty. This creates an effective speed limit to the corners.

Of course, things do not always go as planned! Players take penalties if they miss their roll, bump into another car, are blocked by other cars, have to brake heavily, or have to downshift several gears. These are taken off of a car’s attributes (Tire health, Brake wear, Transmission Gears, Body, engine, and Suspension). Losing the maximum in any of these categories will result in elimination, or a severe setback for that car. This requires that players manage their car’s health, plan for their best path, and have good luck on their rolls. This high amount of luck gives the game its family appeal, and lets weaker players have a chance at winning once in a while.

However, the fun does not end with a single race! The rules include the ability to customize your cars, use a pre-generated character, add Slipstreaming (Drafting) rules and road debris, and change tire types to modify your distance rolls. There are also variations for a single lap race, or multiple laps with pit stops to repair some of your damage points. In addition, numerous expansion tracks can be purchased to vary the demands on each driver and car. Each track may also have weather effects (rain) that change car handling and die rolls due to skidding on wet track. This opens up the game for rally rules giving championship points over a number of races."

game.jpg

R3 will be raced in Valencia, Spain.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
My brother brought that round one night, had a good time. Monaco was definitely more fun than the "street" track on the reverse. We made a house rule, I don't quite remember it, something about the pit lane - maybe you had to brake and accelerate rather than doing the whole time at top speed? Whatever it was it made avoiding damage more meaningful.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
My brother brought that round one night, had a good time. Monaco was definitely more fun than the "street" track on the reverse. We made a house role, I don't quite remember it, something about the pit lane - maybe you had to brake and accelerate rather than doing the whole time at top speed? Whatever it was it made avoiding damage more meaningful.

If you play 3 laps for a race, damage/wear is definitely something you have to watch. Pitting only replaces tyres, it doesn't fix any other car issues, so you can't just go flat out every lap.

We're sticking to F1 at the moment, so no 'street' tracks/racing.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Maybe it was tyres then - some of us played it safe to conserve tyres, the others pushed it to the limit, but then pitting was no real penalty.

Yeah, if you roll well after pitting, you can almost get out again in the same turn. A bad roll you have to wait until the next turn.

Back