Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

best thing about like 5 new players in the team is probably the overreactions to whatever happens

Got to say that I liked Handscomb's approach.

Ball was moving around when he came in and he took a very un-Australian approach. Rather than flailing away outside off stump, he only played when he had to and when he used the bat he did everything to smother the movement of the ball.

Took to the spinners which was always going to be the easiest way for him to score in his first test and accelerated his innings after he was "in".

There is a future in tailoring your approach to batting based on what the situation and conditions require.

Didn't realise how mediocre Amla had been in the last 18 months!

Got to say that I liked Handscomb's approach.

Ball was moving around when he came in and he took a very un-Australian approach. Rather than flailing away outside off stump, he only played when he had to and when he used the bat he did everything to smother the movement of the ball.

Took to the spinners which was always going to be the easiest way for him to score in his first test and accelerated his innings after he was "in".

There is a future in tailoring your approach to batting based on what the situation and conditions require.

Renshaw was leaving well too

What has Handscomb averaged since he stopped wicket keeping?
He's never really "stopped" but since Wade's been back in the FC side he's averaged 52.8

They have spent best part of 4 days ripping cooks technique apart.... Dosent move feet, cant drive, only nudges behind the wicket...

He now has 2 tons in 6 games and nearly batted the inning

For all of what he can't do why not mention what he can? What we can't seem to do....occupy the crease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I await this Pakistan series with genuine interest.

We are not much chop, but there was some promise in the Adelaide win and moreover, Pakistan have just been vitamised by New Zealand- 8 wickets inside three days in Christchurch, and 138 runs at Hamilton where they managed to lose 9 wickets in a session. It was a shellacking in anyone's language, and that's on top of losing a Test to the West Indies immediately prior to their tour of New Zealand. So they're hardly flying either.

We will beat them 3-0, Bird will take 20 wickets, Renshaw will get dropped for Shaun Marsh who will go on and make 800 runs in 3 tests and the cracks in the Australian cricket team will be papered over again.

Especially seeing Pakistan don't get to play at home
That too. Can't see that changing in the foreseeable future sadly. I have a lot of respect for the Pakistan team considering all of these factors.

What was notable against the Kiwis was how much the Kiwis tied them down and how the Pakistanis couldn't cope with it. Admittedly, the Christchurch Test was played on one of the more savage green tops you'll ever see (and under cloudy skies, so it was hooping all over the place and then seaming prodigiously off the deck), but Pakistan were completely out-thought by NZ.

Australia don't strike me as a very 'smart' side either, so it will be interesting to see how they match up.

Wouldn't say mediocre. More, back to the pack

Bloke is still a dead set gun

I'd say an average of 33 in the last 18 months is a pretty mediocre return for someone of his calibre.

short: he's not really that good

longer: when australia is picking a front line spinner, it becomes very hard to justify picking faulkner, as he's clearly not one of the best 3 seamers and he's not a top 6 batsman. if you using the wicket-keeper in the top 6 you could squeeze him into 7 probably, but as Glen Maxwell pointed out this week, in australian cricket, the keeper tends to be stuck at 7 (unless you're the captain)

short: he's not really that good

longer: when australia is picking a front line spinner, it becomes very hard to justify picking faulkner, as he's clearly not one of the best 3 seamers and he's not a top 6 batsman. if you using the wicket-keeper in the top 6 you could squeeze him into 7 probably, but as Glen Maxwell pointed out this week, in australian cricket, the keeper tends to be stuck at 7 (unless you're the captain)
You prefer Mitch Marsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back