Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone will be focused on the chase in Bangladesh, but how about the result in England?

West Indies, having lost the first Test against England by an innings and 209 runs, have chased down 322 on the final day to beat England by five wickets. It's their first Test win in England since 2000.

Without any exaggeration, it's one of the great upsets in Test history.
England aren't much chop. Their attack is average as of right now, Broad is cooked badly, Woakes is simply not a test cricketer, Moeen Ali is closer to JP Duminy than Nathan Lyon despite his hattrick this year, and they're being held together by a good all rounder in Stokes and Anderson is arguably in career best form which has somewhat papered over the cracks.

Quite frankly I'm not sure why Stoneman, Westley and Malan are in the side either. All three average mid 30's in FC Cricket. Why not drop all three and try to get a couple of blokes averaging 40+ this year? Try this team for example:

Cook
Burns (averaging 42 in FC Cricket, 53 this year)
Browne (46/51)
Root (c)
Bairstow (+)
Stokes
Ali
Roland-Jones
Coad (42 wickets at 18)
Leach (26 wickets this year and averages 27 in FC Cricket, left arm orthodox)
Anderson

Shakib is only the 4th player in history to get a five for against all test nations :eek:

god we could see some seriously crazy selections next test
I'm scared we drop Maxy for Cartwright and bring O'Keefe in for Hazlewood

Usman for Cartwright could be a goer. Or just SOK for Haze. Nothing else. The possibilities are endless
I hope that happens. Cartwright to bat 5. Bird for Haze

Renshaw
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Cartwright
Maxwell
Wade (+)
Agar
Cummins
Lyon
Bird

Everyone will be focused on the chase in Bangladesh, but how about the result in England?

West Indies, having lost the first Test against England by an innings and 209 runs, have chased down 322 on the final day to beat England by five wickets. It's their first Test win in England since 2000.

Without any exaggeration, it's one of the great upsets in Test history.

Until today..........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put it this way.

Australia notoriously flaky chasing targets? Tick.
Australia s**t on the sub-continent? Tick.
Australia rubbish against spin? Tick.
Bangladesh legitimately vastly improved? Tick.

Against:

West Indies being...well West Indies. Having not won in England at all for 17 years and having been all but useless away from home for 20 years (and some might observe not too crash hot at home either, for the most part). Also notoriously flaky. On a pitch that was seaming and swinging around. Being set 320 in a day and shorn of their best bat in Darren Bravo, coming off a Test where they lost by an innings and 209 runs inside three days, including losing 19 wickets in a single day. Really think about how bad losing 19 wickets in a single day is...

Basically, several signs pointed to the there being every possibility of Australia losing. West Indies winning? None. Even allowing for England being meh, it's an incredible result.

I really hope people give Lyon credit for his performance in Bangladesh. The Bangas have proven to be stubborn at home for a while now and Lyon has done a number on them.

Let's not forget what a spin bowler was before Warne, especially a finger spinner. Lyon is up there with them, not to mention a better than average fielder and a very nuisance level lower order batsman.

Anybody want to have a crack at a world XI for this year so far? For me it's something like:

1. Dimuth Karunaratne (940 runs @ 47)
2. Dean Elgar (1097 runs @ 54.85)
3. Cheteshwar Pujara (850 runs @ 70.91)
4. Hashim Amla (942 runs @ 49.57)
5. Joe Root (c, 790 runs @ 60.75)
6. Shakib Al Hasan (665 runs @ 47.5/29 wickets @ 33.37)
7. Mushfiqur Rahim (+, 766 runs @ 54.71/14 dismissals)
8. Kagiso Rabada (54 wickets @ 20.96)
9. Nathan Lyon (46 wickets @ 21.95)
10. Rangana Herath (51 wickets @ 25.82)
11. James Anderon (39 wickets @ 14.1)

12th man Morne Morkel(30

man don't destroy the guy

that seems fairly decent but obviously the Ashes will change things. It'll be nice for a world xi to be picked and two actual openers get picked. It feels like the official one constantly throws a 3/4 into the opening spot (but it might not be that common!)
It helps that 2 of the top 3 run scorers so far this year have been openers. Though I suspect they'll do as you did, drop Karunaratne, open with Pujara and bring Faf or Smith in.

I'm amazed by the fact there are only 3 seamers in the top 11 wicket takers this year and 4 in the top 14.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back