Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

They do.

Maxy is essentially not in the frame because he gets too many starts and not enough hundreds, yet the skipper has 1 ton from a decade long first class career
He has more tons per innings and tons per game than Head, Finch and Labuschagne.

it's just a bit hard to care when the coach talks about "awesome australians" and literally can't understand a cricinfo page (smith and warner do not have that many tons unless you don't understand how basic cricket statistics are counted, he also got finch's stats wrong. now, that would only be a problem if you happened to be using using those stats to justify an otherwise inexplicable select...oh)

Last edited:
they may have been worse, i'd argue today's side was better than the previous matches because SOK was dropped. I'm sure there are seasons where suddenly they've had to replace half the team because some got picked for Australia and some retired and so you're struggling to fill the gaps, but in this case, this has really been a self inflicted wound for a number of seasons now. sometimes you don't have the cattle, that's fine in cricket, you're relent on luck and what's in your backyard and you can't control that too much, you can't just sign the best 16yos in the country (although NSW could always stand to be more open to recruiting players from other states), and so sometimes you'll go through dry spells.

but NSW have done this weird, almost anti-Greg Chappell thing in the last couple of seasons where they're not really paying attention to youth or picking players who could be international cricketers and instead just giving extending opportunities to good grade cricketers who have been in the system for years and years and still not established themselves (see: Larkin, Lenton and Daniel Hughes to a lesser extent, in the sense that he's almost the poster child for this policy. he has established himself now, but he's turning 30 this season, so: yes he's established himself as a state cricketer. and he's also 30 and no chance of playing for australia, despite his great List A numbers, so was it worth it?). Obviously the Greg Chappell thing of throwing as many RAW 19 YEAR OLDS in a team as possible isn't good either, but NSW has been showing no middle ground for a few years now. It's not even like when Victoria were adding good domestic cricketers who aren't much hope of playing for Australia (see: DChristian) because these guys just aren't much chop. It's really annoying. There's no reason why Jason Sangha shouldn't be in the team along with Edwards. And when Nev got injured, they should have looked to Nick Bertus who yes is a proven grade cricketer, but is in his first year in the NSW set-up instead of being there for 5 years like Jay Lenton has been for no results and should may as well get his shot now. It's hard to accept the continued failures of guys that don't have much of a future even if they finally get to a passable mark

(but with all that said, Tassie did have 4 new south welshmen in their team today...And Sean Abbott continues to be the most under-rated bowler in ODD cricket, mostly thanks to Mark Waugh efforts. His bowling numbers are awesome considering they've mostly been done over the last 5 or years so. I was pretty happy with the bowling attack they picked today, particularly SOK being dropped, and in a sense it's kinda annoying that in a couple of games time, Hazlewood and Cummins will come back in and two of Sams/Edwards/Dwarshuis get dropped while Larkin and Lenton hang around)

I'm quite enjoying it. It's come so far in the last five years, as a viewer it's really pleasing to watch.
Yeah it's pretty improved from the last time I watched it. Should be good. Liking Channel 7's coverage too, hopefully that carries over to the rest of the season.

67fcc32fe8886a6a43d276fcc9730bff.jpg

How sad is it to see that this is the crowd in an international test match?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wouldn't have many other options at this point
Finch and Head are better bowlers at this point in time.

I really hope Pakistan can play at home again soon. They're a cricketing nation that punches hard and produces so many quality players it's a shame they can't play at home due to a ****ed up fanatical minority.

Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Younis Khan are some of my all time favourite cricketers in my lifetime and you see so much potential in the majority of youngsters the introduce to international cricket.

This has been a phenomenal effort by Khawaja, the sort of dig that makes a true test cricketer. For all his foibles against spin he's making me and thousands look stupid this test.

20 odd overs to go.... if we save this test this will rival the test at Adelaide oval where de Pluesiss saved the test. Awesome recovery and it should give hope for where we need to be as a cricketing nation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back