Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had've told me go in without Starc and Hazelwood I would've said you're mad.

Is Hazelwood injured?

Need Smith and Head to get in a rhythm, they both look comfortable and the pitch is playing ok after some initial juice.

Head reminds me a bit of when Warner first burst onto the scene. Seemed to have all the tools but played silly shots to get out. Hopefully he can come of age this series as he's incredibly talented.

Head reminds me a bit of when Warner first burst onto the scene. Seemed to have all the tools but played silly shots to get out. Hopefully he can come of age this series as he's incredibly talented.

You could almost see his dismissal coming. He reached for a couple that he hit through point but the bat was wafting a long way from his body, then he reached for one too many.

You could almost see his dismissal coming. He reached for a couple that he hit through point but the bat was wafting a long way from his body, then he reached for one too many.
To be fair Moeen Ali was tossing up some rubbish for a while there that he was duly dispatching but yeah, he just doesn't seem to have that ability to say 'no, I won't touch that one.'

Nice innings so far from Wade, taking the pressure off Smudge somewhat. This feels like Brisbane 2011/12 in a way, they've brought Australia to a venue that they rarely lose and now Australia are well on top. 41 overs left, Australia could well be 350 ahead tonight.

head threw an easy ton there. it felt like Ali, Root, Stokes and Denly bowled more overs combined than Broad/Woakes. odd stuff
Probably because Broad/Woakes bowled 35 between them and the others bowled 77 between them.

oh I also meant that each of them probably bowled more individual overs than Broad and Woakes yesterday. Broad might have got his total past Denly/Root with his junktime overs but otherwise...
Oh yeah. Root only bowled 12, less than Broad before the junk time overs. Ali and Stokes had 29/22 respectively with Broad having 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah. Root only bowled 12, less than Broad before the junk time overs. Ali and Stokes had 29/22 respectively with Broad having 22

Those are total overs, I'm speaking of only yesterday's action. Broad bowled 16 overs yesterday, but four were at the very end after the last drinks break during junk time so he really only bowled 12, Root 9, Woakes 7, none in the first session, Moeen 20, Denly 14, but three after drinks so really only 11, and Stokes 15. So yeah, Head threw away a golden chance to make a ton. That's the weakest attack you could face. An out of sorts spinner and one seamer seemingly being held back for whatever reason and of course Anderson out. It won't matter, if they feel the need to pick MMarsh Wade is still probably going out, but Head must be kicking himself

Sort out the top order and we're building into this series nicely. The middle order came to play in the 2nd innings and we bowled quite well throughout though it was a little annoying we let the Poms hang around as long as they did in the 1st innings.

A few more concerns in the England camp. Ali looks shot, Anderson injured, Roy thinking he's playing white ball cricket, Denly struggling for touch and Bairstow being devoid of confidence.

Things can change pretty quickly in test cricket though and I can't see England lying down, especially at home. I think this series is going to be red hot throughout with the blowtorch squarely on the Poms heading to Lords.

Sort out the top order and we're building into this series nicely. The middle order came to play in the 2nd innings and we bowled quite well throughout though it was a little annoying we let the Poms hang around as long as they did in the 1st innings.

A few more concerns in the England camp. Ali looks shot, Anderson injured, Roy thinking he's playing white ball cricket, Denly struggling for touch and Bairstow being devoid of confidence.

Things can change pretty quickly in test cricket though and I can't see England lying down, especially at home. I think this series is going to be red hot throughout with the blowtorch squarely on the Poms heading to Lords.
They need to make at least 4 changes for the next test. I'm not kidding. Roy is basically Finch, Denly is the most meh player I've seen in a while, Anderson is injured, Woakes might be as well (from Grandstand commentary) and here's Ali's stats over the past 2 and a half years:

Batting: 23 matches, 42 innings', 855 runs, ave 20.8, SR 52, 0 hundreds, 5 fifties, 8 ducks
Bowling: 23 matches, 41 innings', 717.4 overs, 73 wickets, ave 34.1, SR 58.98, 3 five-fors.

Their XI for the next test shoud be:

Burns
Sibley (will be Roy)
Root
Bairstow (last chance saloon, surely?)
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes (+)
Woakes (Curran if not fit)
Archer (Curran/Gregory if not fit)
Broad
Leach

They need to make at least 4 changes for the next test. I'm not kidding. Roy is basically Finch, Denly is the most meh player I've seen in a while, Anderson is injured, Woakes might be as well (from Grandstand commentary) and here's Ali's stats over the past 2 and a half years:

Batting: 23 matches, 42 innings', 855 runs, ave 20.8, SR 52, 0 hundreds, 5 fifties, 8 ducks
Bowling: 23 matches, 41 innings', 717.4 overs, 73 wickets, ave 34.1, SR 58.98, 3 five-fors.

Their XI for the next test shoud be:

Burns
Sibley (will be Roy)
Root
Bairstow (last chance saloon, surely?)
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes (+)
Woakes (Curran if not fit)
Archer (Curran/Gregory if not fit)
Broad
Leach

If Woakes isn't fit then that hurts them big time. Lords is his playground too, his record there is brilliant. I didn't know what to believe with the commentary as they spoke about him only bowling a handful of overs on day 4 then on day 5 they're talking up his Lords record.

If Woakes isn't fit then that hurts them big time. Lords is his playground too, his record there is brilliant. I didn't know what to believe with the commentary as they spoke about him only bowling a handful of overs on day 4 then on day 5 they're talking up his Lords record.
Batting wise too, having a bloke with 10 FC tons coming in at 8 is pretty handy. Just looked up his record at Lords, 24 wickets at 9.75 with a strike rat of 23.7 and economy rate of 2.49 is ridiculous, hope he misses.

I think Warner and Bancroft will be better for the run, and for them its just good to get that game out of the way. I hope they get another run at it and the win might just help with that...a loss and selection would have been very interesting. I wonder if there will be bowling changes as part of cricket Australia's grand plan for this series. Siddle bowled beautifully without much success. Lyon and him were terrific to watch yesterday.

I've lost a lot of respect for Archer after that blow to Smith's head/neck.

Not for the delivery at all; that's cricket.

But I don't need to say why it was horrifying to see the blow, and then Smith hit the ground immediately.

Players like Buttler ran straight to Smith, and the commentators gasped, yet Archer decided to turn straight back around and walk back to his mark, where he stood laughing.

Cold blooded prick.

Interesting that they didn’t replay the ball until Smith got up and walked off the ground.
They also had virtually no footage of Smith when he was lying on the ground, just shots of the crowd.
Very very lucky...hit him flush on the neck, could have been another tragedy.
It was a really sensible decision, for sure.

I wish I hadn't watched the footage of Phil Hughes (the day he was hospitalised), and had I known what I do now, I wouldn't have.

I've lost a lot of respect for Archer after that blow to Smith's head/neck.

Not for the delivery at all; that's cricket.

But I don't need to say why it was horrifying to see the blow, and then Smith hit the ground immediately.

Players like Buttler ran straight to Smith, and the commentators gasped, yet Archer decided to turn straight back around and walk back to his mark, where he stood laughing.

Cold blooded prick.

he was laughing with Butler though. My impression was that he turned away because that's what he does in that type of situation and I don't have a problem with that. (to be clear, he hovered around the pitch area shaking his head for a bit, and then when the medical staff arrived I think he went back to his mark) To me, it has always seemed odd and hollow when someone like brett lee bowled a ball at someone's head and hits them in the head, and then goes down to check on them, but that's me. there's no official right or wrong to go about it. it's up to each individual. i suspect the laughing was butler going over and doing a joke to get a smile on Archer's face, and obviously that will draw a range of opinions

It was interesting that they didn't mention Hughes' name at all until well after the incident, when Hussian was recounting a Clarke anecdote. I found that a bit odd

Archer was smiling before Buttler went up to him later, for the record.

And I'd argue there's a difference in checking on someone after they've copped one in the ribs (for example), to what was very obviously a dangerous situation with Smith. I don't see any argument for not being seriously concerned at seeing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back