Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been 30 years since Warnies Ball of the Century. I was watching it live and must admit that I was a bit like Gatting and wondering why the Aussies were carrying on until I saw the replay. Reckon I have watched it hundreds (maybe 1000’s) of times and it still blows me away.

It has been 30 years since Warnies Ball of the Century. I was watching it live and must admit that I was a bit like Gatting and wondering why the Aussies were carrying on until I saw the replay. Reckon I have watched it hundreds (maybe 1000’s) of times and it still blows me away.

Watching it for the first time (it wasn't live for me) I thought "good ball", it all happens so quick that it's hard to take it all in from a single view plus leg spin was a dying art that was rarely seen at the time so understanding the nuances of leg spin was certainly not there for me.

Then I saw a few replays and the layers start building up in my 16 year old mind. "Gee that spun a lot", "Wow, how much did that drift", "s**t, that dipped so much it was seemingly a vertical drop", "I wonder if he meant to pitch it there (history says he could drop it on a dime)" etc.

It's only a single delivery in the history of test cricket but it will never get old.

Hard to see Australia losing from here. Should have a lead over 200 and can then bat aggressively tonight and the first 10 or so overs tomorrow to get plenty of time to bowl them out

Agree but I bet India have a good period at some point and it will be key to wrestle back momentum our way.
Any concerns about our batting for The Ashes??
The amount of times we played and missed to Thakur last night who didn’t appear to be doing much (he wobbled it a bit but not huge swing), only bowling at 130kmph was a bit of a worry.

Personally I think this is our best chance to win there since 2005. Our bowling line up is A+. Batting (apart from Warner) looks strong but suspect to a decent swing bowler. We probably would have won in 2009 except for a couple of spells from Broad.

Any concerns about our batting for The Ashes??
The amount of times we played and missed to Thakur last night who didn’t appear to be doing much (he wobbled it a bit but not huge swing), only bowling at 130kmph was a bit of a worry.

Personally I think this is our best chance to win there since 2005. Our bowling line up is A+. Batting (apart from Warner) looks strong but suspect to a decent swing bowler. We probably would have won in 2009 except for a couple of spells from Broad.
Batting is very good and they have had a solid lead up in County Cricket and made runs. As you said Warner is cooked...but if somehow makes runs we more than likely win the series. I would really like to see Neser bowl at the level and see if his form translates (Bowland takes a wicket as I type haha). A very good swing bowler over there is a thing of beauty if they get going and conditions suit. If our top order don't go too cheaply, Travis Head is set to have a huge series.

So what are we aiming to set as a target tonight?

I think if we can get another 150 from the next 6 wickets by halfway through session two tonight. Would mean a lead of 450ish before tea, then 4.5 sessions to bowl them out.
ideally bat through session 1/2 and hopefully by then we’ve gotten to around 350-400, should be a good total to defend. realistically though? given that we’re 4 down it’ll probably be closer to 350 than anything else

So what are we aiming to set as a target tonight?

I think if we can get another 150 from the next 6 wickets by halfway through session two tonight. Would mean a lead of 450ish before tea, then 4.5 sessions to bowl them out.
It’s an interesting one. 350+ is a lot of runs to chase and you should get 10 chances with a score that big (hopefully we catch better than last night).

If they have 4+ sessions to chase 400 they will break it down to 100 per session…a bit like when they beat us at Brisbane a couple of years back.

They have the talent to chase big scores but there are no weak links with our bowling. It could come down to the last session and be good to watch after we knock off the blues tomorrow night.

It’s an interesting one. 350+ is a lot of runs to chase and you should get 10 chances with a score that big (hopefully we catch better than last night).

If they have 4+ sessions to chase 400 they will break it down to 100 per session…a bit like when they beat us at Brisbane a couple of years back.

They have the talent to chase big scores but there are no weak links with our bowling. It could come down to the last session and be good to watch after we knock off the blues tomorrow night.
i genuinely think that ignoring pujara when he comes in is the best course of action. he's a solid batsman but he's so slow that he's a liability in run chases like this

I feel like I've seen Travis Head so many times since Michael Clarke.

That guys who bats at 5 or 6 and dines out on tired attacks, on flat wickets. A player you can't rely on under pressure.

It's exactly what Head looks like as a player...except that he's making a career scoring runs on green decks and minefields.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see what happens with Gill, I think he should get multiple games suspension. You can't have players openly questioning umpires integrity.

You can put whatever frame up of the ball in Greens hand close to the ground as you want. He caught it 20cms off the ground cleanly. The ball did not move in his hand it's a catch. If it was an Aussie batsmen the Indians would only be putting the frame up of the ball in their fielders hand 20cms off the ground.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Gill, I think he should get multiple games suspension. You can't have players openly questioning umpires integrity.

You can put whatever frame up of the ball in Greens hand close to the ground as you want. He caught it 20cms off the ground cleanly. The ball did not move in his hand it's a catch. If it was an Aussie batsmen the Indians would only be putting the frame up of the ball in their fielders hand 20cms off the ground.
Yep I’ve got no problem with the catch. If it happens in a club match you just walk off. These guys know that it always looks dodgy on the replay so they wait around for the 3rd umpire to make a decision. Finally an ump had the guts to say it was a catch.

Im fascinated by what we are going to do with our bowling attack for the ashes.

Cummins is a lock obviously, but I just don't know how you can't pick Boland straight up (despite him being a late replacement for Hazlewood) as well. His style is custom built for the Duke ball and English conditions.

Really comes down to whether Hazlewood is fit (another custom built for English conditions) cause if so I don't think Starc plays (and I am one of his biggest fans). You lose a bit of tailend batting without Starc, which has historically been crucial in English Ashes series, but I think Cummins, Hazlewood, Boland and Lyon with Green as the 5th bowler is the go.

Starc will have a part to play at Lords and Old Trafford but not at Edgbaston where accuracy and length have long been crucial to success.

Im fascinated by what we are going to do with our bowling attack for the ashes.

Cummins is a lock obviously, but I just don't know how you can't pick Boland straight up (despite him being a late replacement for Hazlewood) as well. His style is custom built for the Duke ball and English conditions.

Really comes down to whether Hazlewood is fit (another custom built for English conditions) cause if so I don't think Starc plays (and I am one of his biggest fans). You lose a bit of tailend batting without Starc, which has historically been crucial in English Ashes series, but I think Cummins, Hazlewood, Boland and Lyon with Green as the 5th bowler is the go.

Starc will have a part to play at Lords and Old Trafford but not at Edgbaston where accuracy and length have long been crucial to success.
boland’s been 4th pick paceman for far too long considering how much he’s torn apart sides on australian wickets, it’d be cruel not to pick him

i think it's ridiculous that some people are calling for josh hazlewood to be picked over scott boland, who's honestly just been a better bowler over the last few years. reward him for putting the effort in consistently
Hazlewood showed again why they really rate him. Boland deserved his spot but I think sometimes people forget how good Hazlewood actually is because he has has a lot of injuries. 220 plus wickets in 60 tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back