Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're on a Scorsese kick... avoid Silence. Falls into the "it was long and it was boring but it was my kind of film" category.
I have really high hopes for it, so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Scorsese, Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, religion in film.. has the ingredients to be pretty decent.

Last edited:

My favourite Leonardo films (not necessarily rating his performances, because he nearly always carries the film that he's in):

1) The Wolf of Wall Street
2) Django Unchained
3) Inception
4) Blood Diamond
5) Catch Me If You Can
6) The Departed
7) The Revenant

My favourite Leonardo films (not necessarily rating his performances, because he nearly always carries the film that he's in):

2) Django Unchained
3) Inception
4) Blood Diamond
5) Catch Me If You Can
6) The Departed
7) The Revenant
Actually forgot those two. Really enjoyed both. Make it 5.

Have never seen Gilbert Grape. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

I have really high hopes for it, so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Scorsese, Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, religion in film.. has the ingredients to be pretty decent.

It's both extraordinary and infuriating. For my money it works against itself and winds up being more scathing an attack on Catholic doctrine than Spotlight ever was. It's a film that only a Catholic approaching death could make.

2) Django Unchained
3) Inception
4) Blood Diamond
5) Catch Me If You Can
6) The Departed
7) The Revenant

I have a vivid memory of going to my then-gf's place after a uni maths exam, having been a nervous wreck about it for a week and only having 90 minutes sleep the night before. Had planned to conk out immediately, she'd just put this on and I was transfixed for the whole time. Great movie, still need to check out Infernal Affairs though.

3/10 nearly failed a second time

I seem to really enjoy westerns too and maybe my expectations were a bit higher given the pedigree of the source material but at no time did I give a s**t about any of the characters. It seemed to me just a bog average, run of the mill, modern day action film masquerading as a western. I found Sarsgaard's Bogue character utterly meh as a villain too. Brian Dennehy's Cobb from Silverado and Gene Hackman's Little Bill from Unforgiven - they're great western villains from 'recent' times. It was just as much what they didn't do as what they eventually did that made them so evil. This guy just stands around looking unhinged and angry while his henchmen kill a few innocents. Just do enough so the movie goer can recognise that okay this is the bad guy and that's all you need.
Have you seen the Hateful 8?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't heard much Oscar talk for The Founder, which is surprising.

Lord Nicholson, thoughts on that?
I've not seen it, however the directors last film was surprisingly brilliant and also got an Oscar shutout.

I don't think people are in the mood for cynical rat cunning in this political climate and that's why a musical will probably win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back