Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought The Hateful Eight was an original score by him? I know there was a Roy Orbison song in it. I remember there being a bit of controversy because Morricone said he didn't want to work with Tarantino but obviously they did in the end.

And apparently a bit from Exorcist II: The Heretic

Only making the mention because The Godfather was denied for Rota having recycled tunes from Fortunella

Yeah fair enough; I wonder what the official rule is.

On that note, I don't like that people aren't nominated for separate films in the same category.

As far as I can tell, there's no rule preventing it, but it doesn't happen (for the Oscars).

This is only true of acting categories as far as I can tell

In Directing, both Steven Soderbergh and Michael Curtiz were nominated for Best Director for two separate films. In Curtiz's case he had an extra film nominated for Best Picture

Producers can be nominated for several films in one year

Cinematographers, composers, editors can all get several nominations in one year. Just the actors.

But then they're weird as they managed to nominate Barry Fitzgerald for both lead and support on Going My Way in the one year

Whenever I see more posts in this thread now I get a bit scared because I'm afraid it's going to be a bit uptight and I won't know wtf is going on.

Dark Tower comes out soon. I'm looking forward to it but a bit nervous because it's such a great adventure in the books and I'm fearful they won't capture that well enough for people to want to read the books.

I didn't think the trailer looked too bad, but the director's breakout feature was a complete snoozer IMO
A Royal Affair? I've never heard of it but doesn't really look like my cup of tea anyway. I think Dark Tower might be one of the few films I'll actually like Matthew McConaughey in.

What else has been uncomfortable about the thread? I assumed the SJW stuff would be it.
I was more referring (lightheartedly) to the fact that most of the discussion itt nowadays seems to be highbrow arty foreign films/directors who I've never heard of. But since you mention it the sjw stuff is kind of grating after a while but easy enough to ignore.

Oh and Idris is in The Dark Tower, so you know it'll be good.
I like Idris a lot but I'm just not sure he's the right actor given the character was originally written pretty much as Clint Eastwood. The whole 'I shoot with my heart' thing which recurs throughout the novels also sounded a little cringey out loud. I'm hoping there won't be too many other cringey bits.

Speaking of arty foreign films you've never heard of...

Saw Dangal in Goa in January. Really enjoyed it, a good family film kind of sentimental but good sentiments. Funniest thing is that we'd been told that the audience has to stand when the Indian national anthem is played in cinemas before the film. And so we all did. And then, during the film, when the anthem was played as part of the story we all stood up again. Don't know if that was also required by law but it did make it an interactive film experience, reminiscent of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, without the rice obviously. Really liked the sound track too.

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Whenever I see more posts in this thread now I get a bit scared because I'm afraid it's going to be a bit uptight and I won't know wtf is going on.

Dark Tower comes out soon. I'm looking forward to it but a bit nervous because it's such a great adventure in the books and I'm fearful they won't capture that well enough for people to want to read the books.

Talk about whatever interests you. I am not a snob.

Does remind me tho of when my mate claimed he'd started getting into "indie" films and watched a bunch of them and I asked which one he liked most and he said "Last Crusade"

Conniptions were had

But yeah I think conversation in here has broadened but we've mostly talked mainstream.

Talk about whatever interests you. I am not a snob.
It was an off the cuff comment. I wasn't having a go at anyone nor trying to suggest there should only be discussion about mainstream stuff in here. It's all good.

I like lurking in this thread because I love to hear the thoughts of passionate movie buffs. I suppose a movie is an amalgam of the plot, acting, cinematography and music. I find that of all of these it's probably music (provided the plot is half decent) that affects my 'feeling' about a film more than anything else, maybe because music can so easily manipulate our emotions. Are some films overrated because of the soundtrack? Does a truly great film have to have a great soundtrack?

Last edited:
I like lurking in this thread because I love to hear the thoughts of passionate movie buffs. I suppose a movie is an amalgam of the plot, acting, cinematography and music. I find that of all of these it's probably music (provided the plot is half decent) that affects my 'feeling' about a film more than anything else, maybe because music can so easily manipulate our emotions. Are some films overrated because of the soundtrack? Does a truly great film have to have a great soundtrack?
Can you imagine the Tarentino films without the sound track? On the sleeve of the sound track album for Reservoir Dogs QT thanks Stacey Sher for the music tracks and credits her for getting the rights to Stealers' Wheel's Stuck in the Middle (That Scene!), the song that made the movie.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...servoir-dogs-to-inglourious-basterds-20090821

Are some films overrated because of the soundtrack? Does a truly great film have to have a great soundtrack?
I think plenty of films are considered better, or are more memorable/referenced because of their soundtrack. For sure.

Ones off the top of my head are Jurassic Park (that main score/theme is great), Indiana Jones, even Star Wars.

A more obscure one would be The Cider House Rules. I don't think it's a bad film, but it's not a great one. For some reason it did really well with critics and awards, and I think the score (which is quite nice on the ears) influenced people a little.

I think plenty of films are considered better, or are more memorable/referenced because of their soundtrack. For sure.

Ones off the top of my head are Jurassic Park (that main score/theme is great), Indiana Jones, even Star Wars.

A more obscure one would be The Cider House Rules. I don't think it's a bad film, but it's not a great one. For some reason it did really well with critics and awards, and I think the score (which is quite nice on the ears) influenced people a little.
Yeah, I agree.
Two films that fit that category for me are The Mission and Cinema Paradiso, the latter being essentially just a simple whimsical love story with elements of melancholy that were intensified by the score.

Back