Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, it's nothing special.

Extra lean, five star beef mince. I don't buy the regular stuff, it's garbage.

Then onions, garlic, four bay leaves, eight fresh chopped tomatoes, grated carrot, chopped mushrooms, a little basil, continental parsley, beef stock and 300ml of Shiraz. Simmer on very low heat until it's become a thick, rich sauce with only a little excess liquid.

Toss through drained pasta of your choice, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan of your choice, put a little chopped parsley on top, and profit.

Simple but the more you reduce it, without drying it out completely, the richer it becomes.

Oh, it's nothing special.

Extra lean, five star beef mince. I don't buy the regular stuff, it's garbage.

Then onions, garlic, four bay leaves, eight fresh chopped tomatoes, grated carrot, chopped mushrooms, a little basil, continental parsley, beef stock and 300ml of Shiraz. Simmer on very low heat until it's become a thick, rich sauce with only a little excess liquid.

Toss through drained pasta of your choice, sprinkle with shaved Parmesan of your choice, put a little chopped parsley on top, and profit.

Simple but the more you reduce it, without drying it out completely, the richer it becomes.
Sounds great but I am one for a less lean mince when I make mine - the fat is where the flavour is :)

Try this version:

2 diced celery stalks
1 diced onion
1 grated/ carrot
1 whole head of garlic crushed/ finely diced
Bay leaves
Big glass of red
100 grams bacon
250 grams of pork and beef mince (500grams total)
2 small tins cherry tomato/ 8 large good quality fresh tomatoes skineed (preferably from someone's backyard!)
1-2 teaspoons of sugar
Powdered beef stock
A little oil

Add the garlic, onion, carrot, bacon oil, bacon and sweat until onion is starting to go clear.
Add the red wine and cook off the alcohol.
Add the pork/ beef mince and brown.
Now add the tomatoes and bay leaves plus some stock powder (to season). I quite often add water as the aim is to simmer this bad boy for at least two hours and you may need to add more.
Cook for two hours on low heat until there is practically no moisture bubbling up through the sauce. If using good fresh tomatoes you may not need to add the sugar as the sauce will not be as acidic. Canned tomatoes will generally need some sugar near the end.

You can also grab some good quality Italian sausages (pork and fennel). Squeeze the meat out and make into meat-balls. Ditch the bacon and mince and use the same recipe and right at the end throw in a bunch of chopped basil just befor you serve it.

/yaco

:)

Each to their own but I don't agree. Fatty mince also reduces in mass significantly once cooked as the fat seems to either render or almost evaporate.
#noreplybuttonuse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Each to their own but I don't agree. Fatty mince also reduces in mass significantly once cooked as the fat seems to either render or almost evaporate.

Do you also make curries and casseroles out of eye fillet because it's less fatty, unlike we plebs who use chuck steak or beef shin with all it's fat and sinew :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back